Leaf in California this next week!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just added the photo from under the car to the web album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mgrigs/NissanLeaf?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqF47uB_LmZlwE&feat=emai#5472751617591558786

Great - quite a bit of new/confirmed info.

mgrigs said:
Initial rollout of first 5,000 to following areas in Dec:
San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix/Tucson, Central Tenn

If this is all in December, this is really wonderful. May be 2 months of production ...

First 5,000 -8,000 will be manufactured in Japan

Manufacturing should ramp up in Central Tenn with capacity to build 150,000/yr for delivery in Spring/early summer 2011

This is new. I thought they won't get to Smyrna Leaf until 2013.

If you're on the list but not in an early rollout area you should have the option to purchase it from the nearest available region (ex. Northern Ca resident purchase from San Diego). Presumably after an initial rollout in the designated regions.

This is new, again. This should be good news for all Leafers outside the rollout states.

0-60 about 9 sec, 0-30 faster than GT-R but didn't give number

About what is expected, I guess.

Likely to have a 10 year battery warranty

This would again be very welcome and shut off all the critics and FUD masters.

Front ground clearance approximately 9 3/4" (measured it)

Nice.

Has anyone that has seen the Leaf in person measured the length, width, height, and wheelbase? I haven't seen specific measurements of the vehicle anywhere. The Leaf has been compared to a Versa and Rogue in this forum but it would be nice to have the exact size of the vehicle. I have yet to see one in person so I haven't had the opportunity to lay a tape measure down next to it.

Frank said:
Has anyone that has seen the Leaf in person measured the length, width, height, and wheelbase? I haven't seen specific measurements of the vehicle anywhere. The Leaf has been compared to a Versa and Rogue in this forum but it would be nice to have the exact size of the vehicle. I have yet to see one in person so I haven't had the opportunity to lay a tape measure down next to it.

See this - lots of info, including size. The best comparison is to Prius.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=149&hilit=versa

Frank said:

From the UK Edmunds Site we captured this:

Dimensions & Capacities
Length (in.): 175.0
Width (in.): 69.7
Height (in.) 61.0
Wheelbase (in.): 106.3
Seating capacity: 5

Frank said:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=3546#p3546

The irony about the headlights is that if you are not doing highway driving the benefit is very low to pointless on the aero side.

EVDRIVER said:
The irony about the headlights is that if you are not doing highway driving the benefit is very low to pointless on the aero side.

Yes - I doubt it really saves much at all. Looks like someone lost track of the real objectives and went on a nerd hike.

At least it's less drastic than the rear wheel skirts of the Aptera, or the front wheel cowls.. It's a minor thing, but the point was for wind noise, not mileage.. The shape is designed to direct airflow around the mirrors, forming a kind of block for the wind noise from the air hitting the mirrors.

Frank said:

Frank - Nissan has published dimensions for the car as well as side-view comparisons with the last gen Prius and current Insight.

Specifically - see the October 09 paper. Page 28 and 36-40.

Enjoy the 'information overload' in the four presentations. :D

Andy

My wife and I saw the Leaf at the Amgen finish in Santa Cruz today. Big relief for me when she at least said it looks "OK", and she wouldn't mind driving it if it was red.

I found out who their battery expert was at the booth and asked him a few questions. He said the pack was rated at "23 to 24 kWh". Playing dumb, I said I had heard that lithium ion batteries couldn't be charged to 100% or drained to 0% without being damaged. So how much, I asked, was the usable range?

The first thing he insisted, that I had also heard from someone else at the booth, was that the Leaf doesn't have a lithium ion battery, it has a lithium ion manganese battery. He insisted that made all the difference in the world. Normal lithium ion, he agreed, had a usable discharge range considerably less than its full capacity, otherwise its lifetime would be shortened. But he claimed that didn't apply to lithium ion manganese. He didn't flat out say it, but he certainly implied that a range of 23kWh could be used without damaging the battery or shortening its life.

I also asked him about the 440v charging plug, saying I had read somewhere that it would only be available on the top model. "Not true," he stated flatly, "it will be available on all Leafs." He then went on to tell me (as I knew, of course) that the 120/240v plug meets an SAE standard, and that there were currently two competing proposals for the 440v standard. "Nissan," he assured me, "is initially shipping all vehicles with the version it expects to meet the standard, but if that turns out to be wrong the company will replace the equipment in all shipped vehicles free of charge."

Finally, I told him that we might be using the car mostly for fairly short trips, rarely more than 30 or 40 miles per day. I said I wasn't sure I would need the 240v charging device, and asked if I needed to get it. "Not a problem," he said, agreeing that I probably wouldn't need it.

planet4ever said:
I also asked him about the 440v charging plug, saying I had read somewhere that it would only be available on the top model. "Not true," he stated flatly, "it will be available on all Leafs." He then went on to tell me (as I knew, of course) that the 120/240v plug meets an SAE standard, and that there were currently two competing proposals for the 440v standard. "Nissan," he assured me, "is initially shipping all vehicles with the version it expects to meet the standard, but if that turns out to be wrong the company will replace the equipment in all shipped vehicles free of charge."

Hmmm ... so what are they doing in the website ?

planet4ever said:
My wife and I saw the Leaf at the Amgen finish in Santa Cruz today. Big relief for me when she at least said it looks "OK", and she wouldn't mind driving it if it was red.

I found out who their battery expert was at the booth and asked him a few questions. He said the pack was rated at "23 to 24 kWh". Playing dumb, I said I had heard that lithium ion batteries couldn't be charged to 100% or drained to 0% without being damaged. So how much, I asked, was the usable range?

The first thing he insisted, that I had also heard from someone else at the booth, was that the Leaf doesn't have a lithium ion battery, it has a lithium ion manganese battery. He insisted that made all the difference in the world. Normal lithium ion, he agreed, had a usable discharge range considerably less than its full capacity, otherwise its lifetime would be shortened. But he claimed that didn't apply to lithium ion manganese. He didn't flat out say it, but he certainly implied that a range of 23kWh could be used without damaging the battery or shortening its life.

Finally, I told him that we might be using the car mostly for fairly short trips, rarely more than 30 or 40 miles per day. I said I wasn't sure I would need the 240v charging device, and asked if I needed to get it. "Not a problem," he said, agreeing that I probably wouldn't need it.

Beautiful info! Thank you!

The only part that seems odd to me is the stuff on the battery. I work with LiFePO4 cells and battery management units. I can outline the different types of Li-Ion cells and some of the care and feeding details if desired, or point you to on-line references.

One care and feeding detail for all lithium-ion cells - including lithium manganese - is that they are much happier if we stay away from the top and bottom 10% of their ultimate capacity.

(It's also common that the end user doesn't get access to these parts of the charge curve at any time. It's like the difference between total capacity and usable capacity for a fuel tank - there will be gas in the tank when we run out. Our 'full to empty' range on the 'fuel gauge' will be 90% thru 10% of the battery's overall capacity.) A manufacturer that's done it's job correctly will not give us access to the entire battery capacity.

Now that I reread my post I realize that I may not have quoted him exactly right on one point. I wrote "Nissan is initially shipping all vehicles with the version ..." He may not have said "all". i.e. it may be an option. But I'm sure he said it would be available on all Leafs. I took that, while talking to him, as meaning it would be provided on all Leafs, but he might ave meant it was an available option on all of them.

That doesn't fully explain what they are doing on the website, but it might help with part of it.

He might have meant the usable capacity is 23-24kwh, thus the native pack is bigger. We know that the NEC battery is an unusual lithium manganese spinel chemistry, with an energy density of only 92wh/kg but with a high power density, able to accept a fast charge and tolerant of high temperatures.. its a rugged design. Perhaps it can also tolerate a wider DOD than other batteries.

Most likely the guy did not know what he was talking about.

You cant discharge a lithium ion cell to zero because it tends to overheat and the cells become unbalanced.. but the problem is that you cant leave it that state for any lenght of time or the cells will suffer irreparable damage. What happens if you discharge the pack down to 5%, get home only to find the power off for the next two weeks?.. The battery can be charged to 100% with no problems but it has to be done slowly and carefully.. but it does accelerate the aging if stored at 100% power.

LiMn isn't that unusual. There are power tools that have been using cylindrical LiMn cells for a number of years, and LG Chem's packs for the Volt are LiMn. The cells will have a significantly shorter life if charged to 100%, and you certainly hit that they cannot be taken down to zero. But we consumers won't be allowed to get close to these areas - our "100% full" will likely be between the 90% and 10% 'ultimate' that Nissan is quoted as reporting.

They're a 'safe' Li cell like LiFePO4, but they're less expensive...and that's a significant part of the car-size pack decision process.

Back