Leaf - insurance cost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaves09

I have added my 2012 Leaf to my current insurance policy with Geico. The rate is $685 for 6 months.

I have a 2012 Mercedes E350 with same coverage and it costs me only $405.

The insurance cost for Leaf is outrageous.

Which is the best insurance company to insure Leaf ?

Update - 10/20/2012

It looks like the last car you add to Geico policy will have the largest insurance cost. I did some online quotes at Geico web site by replacing Leaf with a new Camry. Now the Camry have the same insurance cost as Leaf. So I guess that is how Geico policy works and the higher cost is not specific to Leaf ...

Thanks for all the replies

For 6 months my 2011 is $347 and my 2012 will be about $420 with MetLife Auto & Home (the house is also insured with them). I do have a $500 deductible. The cost will vary from state to state and from driver to driver.

camasleaf said:
For 6 months my 2011 is $347 and my 2012 will be about $420 with MetLife Auto & Home (the house is also insured with them). I do have a $500 deductible. The cost will vary from state to state and from driver to driver.
It's more than just the state, even the city and one's credit rating can make a difference. See http://my350z.com/forum/2910760-post29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I have no Leaf but I saved a bunch of $ ages ago by switching from State Farm to Safeco.

I am comparing the cost of insuring the Leaf having a MSRP of $38K vs Benz E350 with a MSRP of $55K

The driver and coverage is same. For some reason Geico wants more money for Leaf.

It doesn't look like Geico is "EV" friendly. Hence my question

leaves09 said:
I am comparing the cost of insuring the Leaf having a MSRP of $38K vs Benz E350 with a MSRP of $55K

The driver and coverage is same. For some reason Geico wants more money for Leaf.

Is there one car that's designated as the primary car (e.g. for commute purposes) and the other not?

I used to have two cars and whichever was designated as the primary got the higher rate. If I switched it, it didn't change the total amount.

Insurance rates for a given vehicle are determined by more than just the MSRP. It's related to how many claims there are and the amount. I used to have an 02 Nissan Maxima (listed at http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news041203_theft/viewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Back then, I'd hear about people in NJ and NY (+ another state or two) at least once a week on maxima.org getting their HID headlights stolen, sometimes multiple times. :( It was on the order of over $1000 for parts to replace the stolen assemblies, in addition to labor and repairing any body or electrical damage.

It was very easy to pry out the headlights due to their fragile plastic assemblies (didn't even need to open the hood). I'd frequently see stolen Maxima headlights on sale on Ebay. They were definitely stolen since they had their plastic tabs broken off (I'm sure it'd be too much trouble for a legitimate seller to unscrew a couple 10 mm bolts instead of breaking the plastic brackets. :roll: )

I just looked at our new bill for the LEAF and it went up from $237/year last year to $251/year this year. Interestingly, collision coverage cost is the same and comprehensive went down $6/year. The increases were for liability and medical coverage.

leaves09 said:

MSRP is not the driving factor. Asking about insurance prices is a pointless comparison exercise, one must shop based on their variables. Comparing rates is pointless. Once could move 5 blocks and save $500 a year.

I have a 2010 Prius package 4, solar, sunroof leather... and the 2011 LEAF. the rates are now within $30 of each other for a 6 month policy period.

I was surprised to find out that liability was more expensive for Leaf than for a Subaru Tribeca we also own. As for the rates the best I got was from Liberty Mutual, with multi-policy discount.

If you are over 50, I strongly suggest you join AARP and check out their insurance program through The Hartford. Saved me 50% when I bundled two cars and my house. Astounding savings.

Back