Leaf Newbie - IK question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroman

I just received my first Leaf a few weeks ago. I have searched the forums and the user manual but can't find any definitive answers. My question: Is there a way to start the car without the Intelligent Key? If i just have the physical key that is inside the IK, can i start the car? I have read that if the battery is dead in your remote, you can hold it up to the start button and it will enable you to start it, but what if something happens to the remote and it gets damaged. Or the real question, since the fob is so big, there are times i would like to just take the physical key with me, can i still start the car without having the remote part with me at all?

I am loving the Leaf, I am already enjoying driving past all the gas stations.

No fob, no start; it is part of the security system. The metal key only opens the door.

The fob will work with a dead or missing battery if you hold it up to the start button, as you have read. The car can talk to the fob's RFID chip over a few inches distance and the start button will then work; I've done it many times. Useful to know for when the fob battery dies.

One of the fobs should have a small metal tag with the key code on it. You will need this to replace a fob so don't lose it. Replacing fobs is expensive.

Bummer. I was hoping there was a hidden key slot somewhere or something in the physical key that worked like the remote if it was dead.

Thanks so much for the quick answers! I am really enjoying it so far.

I'm happy there is no key hole in the car. That's the easiest way to steal a car.

When I bought my LEAF the dealer offered a FOB replacement warranty, It was $189

jroman said:
Bummer. I was hoping there was a hidden key slot somewhere or something in the physical key that worked like the remote if it was dead.

Thanks so much for the quick answers! I am really enjoying it so far.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/download/file.php?id=1516&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
I'm happy there is no key hole in the car. That's the easiest way to steal a car.

When I bought my LEAF the dealer offered a FOB replacement warranty, It was $189
I do agree that a key hole is an easy way to steal a car, but i wish there was a way to use the physical key to start the car, similar to how a dead fob works. Some sort of magnetic code imbedded in the physical key.

I am not to worried about loosing the fob (of course now i will) though my dealer did not offer that service.

Back