Leaf Production, "I think 20,000 will be too high"?!?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeyD said:
All I know, is that I hope us in the "Forgotten 36" get to, at least, Reserve a LEAF sometime in 2011. As long as I have one on Reserve I will be a happy camper. Until then, I will be impatient! :lol: haha
Texas post office box and a flat bed, my friend! :lol:

electricD said:
Yep, until I see a Leaf in my garage plugged in (or Focus). Given Nissans track record on deliveries, accuracy of past statements, and the fact that they still have not updated me on when I can order let alone when it will be delivered, I think it is safe to say most of the report we hear can't be relied on. But we Leafers are a hopeful lot so I have my finger crossed.
While I'm more balanced than some here, and while I'm hardly in the oblivious cheerleader camp, I'd say that Nissan has been good about keeping their dates. Obviously the Japan EV credit expiration took them by surprise, so first all the cars went to Japan and it looks like they'll now all go to the US, but after this Nissan should be just about right on track. I think the whole roll out has been handled well.

Keep in mind that the last day of April or May is close to the first day of May or June. A little slippage might move the month but that isn't really a big deal.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Leafs (Leaves) available come late spring/early summer in CA, OR, WA, AZ, TX and HI to look at, test drive and purchase. Once early adopters get their cars, the remaining ordered stock will allow a plentiful selection.

My interpretation of "20k may be to many". Is just that

If they send 12k here after filling the initial 8k

There will be lots of these cars, ESP at west coast dealers

Sure they will sell. But that's not the situation Nissan wants to be in

Here's what I got out of it. Finally, some numbers for a change! And they look good :) So, here's what to expect:

• Nissan intends to fulfill all US pre-orders by the end of September
  • Production is quickly ramping up - hundreds in Feb, but thousands in March
  • Significant number of deliveries scheduled for April and May
  • Thousands of deliveries (but less than 20,000) expected by year's end

Herm said:
Probably nothing wrong going on, just stepping up production for this nearly 100% new tech car.

The only thing interesting about the article is that Nissan has achieved a 40% uptake on the $99 deposits.. and that is a huge number for a sight unseen car!.. was anyone really expecting 100%?

I find this number pretty suspect. Certainly of the 100 or so people in the US who have been offered delivery of a Leaf, the conversion rate seems to be close to 99%. (I think we've only heard of one actual orphan so far, haven't we?).

If Nissan accepted 20,000 orders and expect only 40% of those to actually purchase - why are they holding up taking more orders? They claim they'll be shipping close to 8000 Leafs to the US in H1, 2011. You'd think they would like to have solid manufacturing projections for H2 - especially for the batteries which seem to have a longer lead time.

The 40% doesn't seem to ring true to me. It isn't what we are hearing from the dealers either. I'd like to hear more about where that number came from.

LakeLeaf said:
I find this number pretty suspect. Certainly of the 100 or so people in the US who have been offered delivery of a Leaf, the conversion rate seems to be close to 99%. (I think we've only heard of one actual orphan so far, haven't we?).
40% of reservation holders are ordering ... not what you are thinking.

evnow said:
LakeLeaf said:
40% of reservation holders are ordering ... not what you are thinking.

Ahh - well that's a bit different.

Wonder if the delay in accepting new orders is at least partially to give Nissan marketing time to come up with a strategy to increase that percentage.

LakeLeaf said:
Wonder if the delay in accepting new orders is at least partially to give Nissan marketing time to come up with a strategy to increase that percentage.
Could be. I think US Nissan delayed when they found out most initial cars would go to Japan

johnr said:
Here's what I got out of it. Finally, some numbers for a change! And they look good :) So, here's what to expect:

• Nissan intends to fulfill all US pre-orders by the end of September
  • Production is quickly ramping up - hundreds in Feb, but thousands in March
  • Significant number of deliveries scheduled for April and May
  • Thousands of deliveries (but less than 20,000) expected by year's end

when you say "pre-order" what do you define as a pre-order?

$99 reservation holder?

all of us or just tier 1?

Back