Leaf Progress Report from the "Old Man"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derkraut

I have now driven my Leaf 4000+ miles over 5+ months; and would like to share the following:

1. I'm over 70yrs of age, and have owned/driven 18 different cars over the past 55+yrs. I am a retired ASE Certified mechanic, and have done lots of work on various ICE cars over the years. I mention this to let you know that I am somewhat mechanically competent.
2. The Leaf is the best car I have ever owned--hands down. I haven't had a single issue with this car so far (Carwings is useless to me, so I don't use it).
3. By utilizing super off-peak timed charging, my operating cost is averaging 1.3 cents per mile. That equates to approximately 295mpg, based upon $3.85 gas here in SAN. Yes, I drive on freeways about 50% of the time, at or near the speed limit.
4. I have owned and driven Porsches, Mercedes gas and Diesels, Fords, Cadillacs, Chevrolets, Hondas, Toyotas, etc., etc. The Leaf is by far the most pleasurable car to drive, for me. My wife of 54+yrs absolutely loves it also; and I can tell you that that is very important.
5. I have the Blink charger, separate SDG&E meter, and TOU rates. I almost always charge to 80%, and intend to drive this car for at least 10yrs (if I'm still alive).
6. My "other" car is a 2005 Prius, which is our "long range" vehicle. It is also an outstanding vehicle, and I haven't had a single issue with it (46M+ mi). The Prius has never been to the dealer, (except for a Coolant Pump replacement under recall, and recent tire replacement). I do all the maintenance myself.

Now....if I lived in a really cold winter area, I would have to think carefully before buying the present Leaf. I don't think it is adequately equipped for continuous operation in sub-zero weather conditions. JMHO, of course. :)

Nice to hear that you're so pleased, kraut, I know that you're no pushover "fanboy".

Your experience mirrors my own, except that I'm at about 7,000 miles.

derkraut said:
3. By utilizing super off-peak timed charging, my operating cost is averaging 1.3 cents per mile. That equates to approximately 295mpg, based upon $3.85 gas here in SAN. Yes, I drive on freeways about 50% of the time, at or near the speed limit.
Wow, that's cheap! I wish I had super off-peak TOU. But I will be installing solar soon, so that should help...

I have about 13,000 miles on my car and with my solar and car charging for 8 months or so now. My year cost of home electric and charging my car for my daily 76 mile RT on freeways is a little over $400 that is home and car for a year.

Home 1,500 sqf no pool.

Now that is cheap.

Hi Derkraut,

I share the same feelings and experience about my Leaf after 7 months and 7,000 miles.

Gonewild said:
I have about 13,000 miles on my car and with my solar and car charging for 8 months or so now. My year cost of home electric and charging my car for my daily 76 mile RT on freeways is a little over $400 that is home and car for a year.

Home 1,500 sqf no pool.

Now that is cheap.

I have the same size solar PV system as yours and I'm calculating that I'll end my net metering year with a zero bill for 11,000 miles and 11 months charging the LEAF and my entire home power included. EV plus PV plus TOU = Priceless!

All of my LEAF miles (almost 4K) has cost me zero dollars for e-juice, zilch, nada, none, nothing! :mrgreen: It's like a dream driving all over the place (over 1000 miles this month!) and it isn't costing me even a penny or using a drop of fuel! Just in CNG alone, it would be costing me just under $200 for those 4000 miles.

derkraut said:
4. I have owned and driven Porsches, Mercedes gas and Diesels, Fords, Cadillacs, Chevrolets, Hondas, Toyotas, etc., etc. The Leaf is by far the most pleasurable car to drive, for me. My wife of 54+yrs absolutely loves it also; and I can tell you that that is very important.
I am with you all the way except for this item, derkraut. While the Leaf is fun to drive, it cannot come close to the adrenaline-pumping performance of my Porsches. You have a few years on me, though, so maybe in another 7 years my infatuation with performance driving will fade. Having tried pushing the Leaf to its limits already, it fails to generate the kind of excitement, feedback, and feeling of connectedness that I crave in a road machine. That's OK, it's my wife's car and she LOVES it!

TT

I have to agree. I, too, have owned Porsches, Corvettes and the like over the years - and raced a Lotus Elan I bought used with a blown engine and rebuilt in SCCA C Production many decades ago - and they still produce a rush in me that the Leaf, as very nice as it is, can't... Oh, and I am in my 60s...

ttweed said:
I am with you all the way except for this item, derkraut. While the Leaf is fun to drive, it cannot come close to the adrenaline-pumping performance of my Porsches. You have a few years on me, though, so maybe in another 7 years my infatuation with performance driving will fade. Having tried pushing the Leaf to its limits already, it fails to generate the kind of excitement, feedback, and feeling of connectedness that I crave in a road machine. That's OK, it's my wife's car and she LOVES it!

TT

Well, I celebrated the big eight O last smmer, and never owned a real performance car, unless you count a LLoyd Alexander or a Peugeot Deisel :lol:

I try to drive green, but I gotta tell you that when I'm feeling frisky, the instant torque from a stop light brings a big smile to my face. Accelerating quietly up a freeway on ramp is another kick in the pants.

First car I have ever owned that I look for excuses to drive.

Bill

I enjoyed your analysis, dk.
I have almost 8k miles (and am within 10 years of you) and agree about the car.
cost to drive is very cheap; about 2 cents a mile for fuel sted of closer to 18-20 cents at $4 a gallon.
and that is what it would be if I did not have solar.
because of a "mistake" in the DWP bill that is no yet worked out, I dont know the exact cost but appears that I will be paying 0 dollars for power and car usage and banking about $50; albeit that is in the sunny months.

I wish the insurance companies were hip to the accident-free and patient-driving habits of the demographic running this vehicle.

Glad to hear all this positive feedback regarding the LEAF. I've never been one who was thilled by "performance" cars, so it is unimportant to me that the LEAF is not one. My 320 miles in the Hertz LEAF was enough to convince me that the LEAF will be the perfect car for me. And, BTW, a "little bird" told me that tier 4 ordering should start shortly, so I should be among the ranks of the "every day" LEAF drivers this spring.

Back