Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had charger DTCs set from attempting to charge at defective DCQC stations. Car would not charge on DC or L1/L2 until I cleared the codes. I cannot remember what codes were set. Also, lots of DTCs will be set by a low 12-volt battery so you might want to check voltage under load.

Gerry

NocturnalWalt said:
Firstly, thanks Turbo3 for the app and all the work you've already done.

I've recently figured out how to read the software version of the control units in the Leaf as well as some other interesting data from the LBC and documented this here:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11676&p=463562#p463562

I think it would be great if Leaf Spy Pro could do this. It would allow LeafSpy Pro users and the community on this forum to learn the following:

- If a car has all the latest software updates or not
- Exactly which LBC Nissan is fitting to cars that are getting new battery packs. i.e if a 2011 car gets a new battery under warranty then what LBC is fitted to that pack?
- Checking what control units are the same and what is different between 24kWh and 30kWh cars.

I have already compiled a spreadsheet with all the known VCMs and LBC software versions and what years and models they should fit. I would be happy to post it if anyone is interested. It is mostly complete but I'm sure there will be a few errors in it. If everyone had the ability to easily check what control unit versions they were running through LeafSpy Pro then I'm sure we could weed out any inaccuracies pretty quickly.

So.... what do you think Turbo3?
Yes, I would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet. Send to the email below.

Here is a screenshot with the VIN replaced with the battery serial number. This test version also reads all the ECU version numbers but does not yet display them. For testing the reading of version numbers happens at the end of reading all the DTC codes.

3fSNA8.png

My battery had charged up so I wanted to check the figures. Leaf Spy Pro summary page showed 21 kWh remaining and I got a figure I hadn't seen before on the Batt/Watts line in orange. The line went fully across the the scale and read "261,632 Watts". What does this mean? The SOC was 102.3% and the GIDs 271.

Also, while I am at it I received and email to update my Leaf Spy, but when I went to TestFlight as instructed I was told it was unavailable. I pressed the redeem button and was told I needed an invitation code. Seems familiar, but I don't have it now.

I have been doing some Temp logging using LeafSpyPro. I get T1, T2, and T4. I just found a Tambient?? It is very eratic but sumwhat records the ambient Tempurature. It is clearly not what is displayed on the car dash as the outside Tempuratue.

Can some one explain to me what this is? Where is the sensor that is taking this temperature? Where is the sensor that take the Temperature displayed on the dash? Why does this temperature rise higher than the outside when stopped and then drop when moving?

Thanks,
Dan

Danl said:
I have been doing some Temp logging using LeafSpyPro. I get T1, T2, and T4. I just found a Tambient?? It is very eratic but sumwhat records the ambient Tempurature. It is clearly not what is displayed on the car dash as the outside Tempuratue.

Can some one explain to me what this is? Where is the sensor that is taking this temperature? Where is the sensor that take the Temperature displayed on the dash? Why does this temperature rise higher than the outside when stopped and then drop when moving?

Thanks,
Dan
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&hilit=ambient+temperature&start=1300#p435673.

I think there is a single sensor but I don't know where it is located.

LEAF Spy Pro is recording the raw sensor value from the Canbus.

The value displayed in the eyebrow dash display has significant delays added by software.

Also note the Canbus value is invalid while the LEAF is being charged for the 2011.
It has values but is not correct.

TimLee said:
Danl said:

Thanks,
Dan
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&hilit=ambient+temperature&start=1300#p435673.

I think there is a single sensor but I don't know where it is located.

LEAF Spy Pro is recording the raw sensor value from the Canbus.

The value displayed in the eyebrow dash display has significant delays added by software.

Also note the Canbus value is invalid while the LEAF is being charged for the 2011.
It has values but is not correct.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the comments, Yes what you are stating makes sense.

I have done a 10 minute average on the data and it is clearly giving temperature data. It is working during charging. How ever the temperatures are looking to me like they do not see airflow when the car is stopped. Then they return closer to a true ambient when the car is moving. It is like the air flow from car movement is required to keep the sensor at the ambient temperature.

Thanks again,
Dan

Would it be feasible to enhance leaf spy to stop the charging process at a certain charge level?
I would be prepared to pay for this feature.

I'm sure the answer to this is in the 150 pages of posts on this thread, but I didn't find it in the first five pages, so I'll just ask it. Do you need some kind of hardware to use LeafSpy? The Amazon store says to first download LeafSpy lite to see if you have the right ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth adapter but I don't know what that is. Is it a hardware device? It sounds like another app, but it's not shown in the list of things people also buy when they buy this app. I don't have a smart phone or any bluetooth device or android device but I have a Kindle Fire which is supposedly Android compatible and generally Amazon doesn't sell apps that are not compatible with a Kindle Fire. Some Kindles have bluetooth but mine only uses wi-fi. So far as I can tell it can only play music through the aux jack and cannot otherwise communicate with the Leaf. Is there a wifi option to LeafSpy?

Rat said:
I'm sure the answer to this is in the 150 pages of posts on this thread, but I didn't find it in the first five pages, so I'll just ask it. Do you need some kind of hardware to use LeafSpy? The Amazon store says to first download LeafSpy lite to see if you have the right ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth adapter but I don't know what that is. Is it a hardware device? It sounds like another app, but it's not shown in the list of things people also buy when they buy this app. I don't have a smart phone or any bluetooth device or android device but I have a Kindle Fire which is supposedly Android compatible and generally Amazon doesn't sell apps that are not compatible with a Kindle Fire. Some Kindles have bluetooth but mine only uses wi-fi. So far as I can tell it can only play music through the aux jack and cannot otherwise communicate with the Leaf. Is there a wifi option to LeafSpy?
Yes, you need an OBD adapter for the Leaf for your mobile device to communicate.

I have this Wifi version that I use with iOS...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3K2X4M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not heard of anyone using a Kindle Fire before but if you were able to download/purchase the app and it opens, then it sounds like it would work as an Android device.

Update: it turns out my Kindle Fire has bluetooth. Another Leaf owner says LeafSpy Pro works with his Kindle.

The Fire runs many, but not all Android apps. The Fire's OS is a heavily modified Android OS. Supposedly only apps that are downloaded from Amazon work on it, not those from GooglePlay, although I've heard many from GP work fine. But the real hangup appears to be the lack of bluetooth. The LeafSpy description seems to make clear that it is required. My Fire has only wi-fi, the speaker port, and a USB port/cable. I just wanted to make sure there is no workaround.

Rat said:
The Fire runs many, but not all Android apps. The Fire's OS is a heavily modified Android OS. Supposedly only apps that are downloaded from Amazon work on it, not those from GooglePlay, although I've heard many from GP work fine. But the real hangup appears to be the lack of bluetooth. The LeafSpy description seems to make clear that it is required. My Fire has only wi-fi, the speaker port, and a USB port/cable. I just wanted to make sure there is no workaround.
Are you able to run the app on the Fire? You should be able to at least see if it opens and seems to function before spending money on an OBD device. The OBD device does NOT have to be bluetooth. It can be Wifi like the link I posted.

You may want to send Turbo3 a direct message or email.

Rat said:
... But the real hangup appears to be the lack of bluetooth. The LeafSpy description seems to make clear that it is required. ...
Android version of LEAF Spy Pro does support WiFi.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20809&hilit=bluetooth&sid=18c3d07f1756ca7a74b49a9c7a0efd3a#p441450 for Turbo 3 recommendation links.

But I do not know if it works with Amazon Kindle Fire.

paulhome said:
Would it be feasible to enhance leaf spy to stop the charging process at a certain charge level?
I would be prepared to pay for this feature.

Unless I am missing some hidden feature, I believe the answer is no.

I agree it would be an incredibly nice feature to have.

One idea I had is based on the OpenEVSE charging station, which by its open source nature is modifiable by someone with the necessary expertise. If you do not have such expertise, maybe you could ask the OpenEVSE community about adding this feature.

Basically the software that controls the OpenEVSE is capable of shutting down the charging station, and there is an FTDI port on the standard OpenEVSE hardware that you could theoretically rig a Bluetooth adapter up to. So you could write software to fire up the Bluetooth, read the OBDII device to get SOC info from the car while charging and then have it shut down the EVSE when it got to your pre-set amount. You could probably get arbitrarily complex with this such as immediately charging to 50% SOC during a 24 hour window, and then charge to 100% during an overnight window (i.e. to immediately give you an "emergency" charge, but then take advantage of off-peak for most of your charging).

Danl said:

Thanks,
Dan
As stated above the ambient is the raw CANBUS value. The sensor is mounted in front of the radiator below the horn.

Rat said:
Update: it turns out my Kindle Fire has bluetooth. Another Leaf owner says LeafSpy Pro works with his Kindle.

You can use Bluetooth or WiFi on your Kindle. Bluetooth is the preferred method as it is lower power but WiFi will work too.

Turbo3 said:
Danl said:

Thanks,
Dan
As stated above the ambient is the raw CANBUS value. The sensor is mounted in front of the radiator below the horn.
Thanks Turbo,
Yes, putting a fan in front of the car grill helps calm this temperature down. I am amazed at how much it fluctuates. It is really effected by the charger a lot.

Thanks again,
Dan

I've done a lot of searching of the forum with no luck, so I hope I haven't missed a response to my problem.
My Leaf Spy Pro is installed in a Motorola Turbo Droid and seems to work okay as far as I can tell except for Charge and Trip readings on the 4th screen. The charge (Chrg) reading of miles and mi/kWh and the Trip reading will agree until I stop (end of trip), but if I make a number of short trips before charging again, the mile and mi/kWh since charging show ridiculous figures. For example, currently it says 3877.4 miles since charging, and 355.5 mi/kWhr. (Actual miles driven since charging was closer to 20 miles at about 4.8mi/kWh.) This is making the Leaf Spy less useful than I like as it is nice to have an idea of what the energy efficiency has been since charging especially on many of my days when I might drive 25 to 30 miles to a nearby town, then drive lots of short trips before returning home. I had come to depend on knowing what my actual mi/kWh had been since charging, but this is no longer reliable.
Is this a common problem, and what can be done to correct it so I can get the real mi/kWh since charging?
The car is a 2013 Leaf SL.

Back