Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lpickup said:
paulhome said:
Would it be feasible to enhance leaf spy to stop the charging process at a certain charge level?
I would be prepared to pay for this feature.
One idea I had is based on the OpenEVSE charging station, which by its open source nature is modifiable by someone with the necessary expertise. If you do not have such expertise, maybe you could ask the OpenEVSE community about adding this feature.

I just started wrapping my solution to this up. I put an Arduino Nano uC* with a nrf24L01+ radio inside my OpenEVSE, and connecting the serial port to the OpenEVSE.

Then I have another uC in the car that is connected to the EV bus, it picks up the SOC data and transmit it to the uC in the OpenEVSE. The uC in the OpenEVSE also receives temperature from the plugs and a Target SOC from the car among other thins, and issues the needed serial RAPI command to OpenEVSE to stop charging when target is reached or reduce current draw if its a worn down outlet what is getting to hot to pull 3.6kW from.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to add the functionality directly to OpenEVSE as the current code pretty much uses nearly all available flash.

I would love to be able to send a CAN command to stop the charge instead, as currently it will not work with public Type2 chargers that is becoming the new standard here. (Not without using a Type2 to IEC outlet and then to my OpenEVSE)

*) board does not like greek micro symbol?!

bearer said:
I just started wrapping my solution to this up. I put an Arduino Nano uC* with a nrf24L01+ radio inside my OpenEVSE, and connecting the serial port to the OpenEVSE.

*) board does not like greek micro symbol?!

An interesting idea, please keep us updated.

The Nano is a great device to use for a quick microcontroller proof of concept design or even a final prototype
design. I used one to design a programmable automotive ignition system. The Arduino Mini is also a good choice
when space is limited. The AVR and the MicroChip are great devices that basically evolved from the Intel 8751 device concept.

lpickup said:
Basically the software that controls the OpenEVSE is capable of shutting down the charging station, and there is an FTDI port on the standard OpenEVSE hardware that you could theoretically rig a Bluetooth adapter up to. So you could write software to fire up the Bluetooth, read the OBDII device to get SOC info from the car while charging and then have it shut down the EVSE when it got to your pre-set amount.

The low energy bluetooth shields available for Arduino (using Uno currently) will communicate with iOS (HM-10). The OpenEVSE (OE) RAPI commands will control the sleep, reset, amperes, enable and disable commands of OE via iphone bluetooth apps/arduino program. There is a OE forum that can provide help in this area. I'm sure there are other options, but the arduino is great for development and can provide OE control based on external sensors (e.g. voltage/amperes) if you have a variable energy source (PV as an example).

There are also arduino shields available to communicate with the CAN BUS. I'd guess that there is a wealth of information on this forum since the OBD codes for the Leaf have been well vetted - several years ago!! An interesting link:
https://www.cooking-hacks.com/docum...orial-for-arduino-raspberry-pi-intel-galileo/

DNAinaGoodWay said:
In the service screen, would it be possible to link an error code to a short explanation of what the code means?
There is already (or should be) a few word description based on what the service manual lists. If you want more someone will need to create a database. There are over a thousand lines of code in the current case statement to support what is now there.

If you have a code that only shows the XXXX code without any additional text let me know what it is and I will fix that.

Turbo3 said:
garsh said:
Turbo3,

Any chance that you can update Leaf Spy Pro to support the new split-screen modes in Android N?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138524-android-n-nougat-how-to-enable-and-use-split-screen-mode

I'd love to run & view Leaf Spy and Google Maps simultaneously.
The next test release should allow this but I have no way to test since none of my Android devices have Nougat.
I'd be happy to test & give you feedback.

I gave it a try with the current version. Two main issues were:
1) Took much information being shown, and everything ran together.
2) Display wouldn't update if an app was "active" in the other split window.

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
garsh said:
Turbo3,

Any chance that you can update Leaf Spy Pro to support the new split-screen modes in Android N?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138524-android-n-nougat-how-to-enable-and-use-split-screen-mode

I'd love to run & view Leaf Spy and Google Maps simultaneously.
The next test release should allow this but I have no way to test since none of my Android devices have Nougat.
I'd be happy to test & give you feedback.

I gave it a try with the current version. Two main issues were:
1) Took much information being shown, and everything ran together.
2) Display wouldn't update if an app was "active" in the other split window.
Can you send me a screenshot of #1?

garsh said:
Try this link: https://goo.gl/photos/h89wbWhrfp2WK5A27
I've also emailed it to you.
One thing I need to know is the screen size LeafSpy is given. That can be read on the LeafSpy Settings/Screen panel when you are in this split screen mode.

LeafSpy has been designed for a minimum of 240x320 effective (includes any scaling) screen size. If less is available that would be a problem.

Thanks to EVforRobet I now have a loaner Nexus 6 with Android 7 to test the new split screen function.

I am going to be putting out another test version with a new Server function and it will also include a minor fix for the split screen display in that the lines drawn on screen 4 will now be in the correct location. However, fixing the alignments and font sizes is going to take work that I do not yet know how to do as B4A does not have any special handling for this new split screen display mode. The split screen is more squarish so does not really fit the landscape or portrait modes currently defined. The decision to use the landscape or portrait layout is controlled by B4A which is what I will need to work around to come up with a new layout to fit the squarish 1/2 screen the app is given.

Screen 3 is probably easier to fix so I will probably work on getting that fixed before tackling the much more complicated Screen 4.

Kris1 said:
Does anybody have a diagram that relates cell number (as reported by LeafSpy) to physical location within the Leaf pack?
The service manual shows location by number. Here is the page. MD1 has cells 1 and 2. MD48 has cells 95 and 96.
zoOBs4.png

Version 0.38.87 has just been uploaded. Should be available shortly for testers.

Includes new Server function. This will allow someone to develop a real time LeafLogger type function that displays data in real time as data is sent from LeafSpy. Up to four Servers can be defined.

Format is REST with the following parameters:
user=
pass=
DevBat=
Gids=
Lat=
Long=
Odo=
Seq=
SOC=
PlugState=
ChrgMode=
ChrgPower=
VIN=

I currently have one user developing a Server to send data to his Pebble watch. So this function is initially for him. But others with Server skills are free to create your own function.

jxXMED.png

I am quick charging right now and Leaf Spy keeps flashing between connected and retry (version 0.38.86 running on Kyocera Event). This is the first QC since upgrading to this version, but I have never had this issue before. I will upgrade to 83.87 before my next QC even though I have no need for split screen, etc. I will let you know if I have the same issue in a week or so.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
I am quick charging right now and Leaf Spy keeps flashing between connected and retry (version 0.38.86 running on Kyocera Event). This is the first QC since upgrading to this version, but I have never had this issue before. I will upgrade to 83.87 before my next QC even though I have no need for split screen, etc. I will let you know if I have the same issue in a week or so.

Gerry
No real fix for Android 7's split screen. That is gong to take a lot of work.

Quick charge problem should be fixed with this version.

Turbo3 said:
GerryAZ said:

Gerry
No real fix for Android 7's split screen. That is gong to take a lot of work.

Quick charge problem should be fixed with this version.

Version 0.83.87 worked fine when I used a quick charger this afternoon.

Thanks,
Gerry

Back