Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ObiQuiet said:
Thank you very much for all the hard work on this!!

BTW, Shunt order came out as 4812 on a new install on a new device. Was that intended?

Also, can you explain what is actually happening when shunts are ON when not charging?

Thank you!
Yes 4812 is the current default. If you like a different value you can change it in Settings.

When a shunt is on a small load is applied to that cell pair to drain some energy from it to bring it into balance with the other cells.

It is the opposite of charging.

Devin said:
Huzzah! I found it on Port 16 for both the GS3 and the Galaxy Note 8.0!

Devin,
Does this mean it is working for you, or that the lights are flashing but you still can't get data from the car to the app?

garylai said:
Devin said:
Huzzah! I found it on Port 16 for both the GS3 and the Galaxy Note 8.0!

Devin,
Does this mean it is working for you, or that the lights are flashing but you still can't get data from the car to the app?

It is fully working and showing all the right data for me now.

Devin and Turbo3,

Thanks, you saved me a lot of trouble. I just plugged the ELM327 I thought was defective into my Leaf, paired my Android phone with it (again, no passcode required), turned on the Leaf Spy Lite app, went into settings and switched to Port 16, exited the Leaf Spy Lite app and restarted, and viola, it connected and I was able to see the data. After a while of monitoring it and seeing it was stable, I upgraded to the paid Leaf Spy app and it still works.

By the way, my Approximate Remaining Battery Capacity (the number in parentheses at the top of Screen 1) says 90.49%. This was the key number I was looking for in purchasing the ELM327 device and installing the app. Does this mean I should expect 281 x 0.9049 = 254 gids at full charge? I rarely charge to 100% so am looking to calculate the value rather than measure it. The battery health seems OK for 29k miles and 28 months, but given I live in Seattle and have babied the battery I was hoping for a little more.

I have been running various versions of the app since May and have had no connection problems with my Kyocera eVent phone. I purchased the Pro version assuming that connection would be automatic but it wasn't.

With v0.26c, I was connecting on port 1 as recently as 9/10/13. Should I be trying port 16, or ??

I love the app!

Probably not for a long time in this kind of application... And you would need a 4S or better to use it... Better just to buy a very cheap old Android phone since it doesn't even need to be authorized... You can find them as cheap as 20 bucks...

Spindoctor said:
TomT said:
Apple does not support Bluetooth on Apps like this so it is not likely. The only way to do it on iOS is with a WiFi style adapter...
Spindoctor said:
iOS version any time?
iOS 7 - iBeacon.

rickbecker said:
I have been running various versions of the app since May and have had no connection problems with my Kyocera eVent phone. I purchased the Pro version assuming that connection would be automatic but it wasn't.

With v0.26c, I was connecting on port 1 as recently as 9/10/13. Should I be trying port 16, or ??

I love the app!
Connection should be the same. Send me an ELM trace and I can take a look at what is going on. Look back a few pages to see how to take an ELM trace.

Do any lights flash on the ELM while the app is trying to connect?

If I get enough traces and it seems like the same problems as others I will certainly look into automating a fix inside the app. My goal is to have it work first time for all so I need feedback like this when it does not work. Only way to make the app better.

========================
Update: Rick has this working now. I suggested disable/enable Bluetooth or Reboot Phone. Not sure which one he tried but he reported to me it is working now.

If have just released a new version of Leaf Spy Lite. It is a small update so is still v0.27.

It allows the selection of "Secure" connection instead of the default of "Insecure". The difference being that for Insecure you need to supply a port number (default is Port 1) whereas with Secure you do not.

If you have trouble connecting with the default setting of "Port 1" then try going to the last entry in Port selection (Settings/System panel). It will be the last choice after "Port 30" at the bottom. Exit app then restart and see if that helps.

I would be interested to know if for those that had to select Port 16 if this option also works for them.

For now it is only available in Leaf Spy Lite but if I hear positive reports that it works in some cases I will add to the other versions of Leaf Spy.

I know for a fact that "Secure" does not work on the Nexus 7 which I have and is the reason I switched to the "Insecure" version with port number.

You may get a request for the pairing code the first time you use "Secure".

Turbo3 said:
rickbecker said:

I love the app!
Connection should be the same. Send me an ELM trace and I can take a look at what is going on. Look back a few pages to see how to take an ELM trace.

Do any lights flash on the ELM while the app is trying to connect?

If I get enough traces and it seems like the same problems as others I will certainly look into automating a fix inside the app. My goal is to have it work first time for all so I need feedback like this when it does not work. Only way to make the app better.

========================
Update: Rick has this working now. I suggested disable/enable Bluetooth or Reboot Phone. Not sure which one he tried but he reported to me it is working now.

I did disable/enable Bluetooth and assured that no OBDII devices showed up as "available devices" when Bluetooth was enabled. Jim suggested that I unplug/replug the ELM327 to get a fresh start, which I did. I am now happily operational with Leaf Spy Pro v0.27.4!

Turbo3 said:
Spindoctor said:
iOS version any time?
Any suggestions for a Windows PC based development system for iOS apps?
It'll probably be best to go through the pains of getting OSX to run in VMWare. Are you looking for any help in porting it to OSX?

QueenBee said:
Turbo3 said:
Spindoctor said:
iOS version any time?
Any suggestions for a Windows PC based development system for iOS apps?
It'll probably be best to go through the pains of getting OSX to run in VMWare. Are you looking for any help in porting it to OSX?
Just started looking into this. I see there is software out there that lets you run the development on a Windows PC (Mobione) but don't know what if any restrictions it has on the apps I could develop. My app would need to handle the WiFi stream coming from a WiFi OBDII adapter.

One advantage of a WiFi OBDII adapter would be speed of transfer over the 9600 baud the Bluetooth adapter limits me to.

So at the moment I am looking for help in setting up the right environment to port Leaf Spy to iOS.

Perhaps I should start a separate thread for this topic.

Dear Jim,
The Leaf Spy battery app is so very cool - it makes all the other meters obsolete, including your own! Even though, I don't have an android device nor even a LEAF anymore, I'd like to donate to your efforts. Can I send it to your email using paypal?

To all users of Leaf Spy:

Please consider contributing information on battery capacity loss (strongly preferred you have the P3227 update first if your Leaf is 2011 or 2012) to this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275&p=324533#p324533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The data is being used to help calibrate the Battery Aging Model. We have about 18 reports so far, but need a lot more. Thanks.

Turbo3 said:
Perhaps I should start a separate thread for this topic.
Agreed, put my response in a new topic: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am getting ready to release the next versions of the app (v.28)

Next features and fixes.

* Auto switching to Port 16 if Port 1 is found to be used by Bluetooth Hands-Free device
* Screen 1 portrait mode QC & L1/L2 counts now have labels
* If connection to Leaf is interrupted for more than 30 seconds app will disable keeping the screen active. When you leave your Leaf the app will no longer try to keep the screen active. After 30 seconds your normal display timeout settings will take affect and turn the screen off after your selected timeout. This is all conditional on having the "Stay Awake" checkbox checked.

I should have this up for beta testing tomorrow.

=================================
Update: Uploaded and ready for beta testing
To become a Google beta tester email me your email address.

I have Leaf Spy Lite installed on my Kyocera event; no problem with setup and it works fine, nice app. But I've been trying to buy Leaf Spy via Google Play and I keep getting the message that there's a technical problem and I can't get it, or they can't process my order at this time. I don't think it's a credit card problem because I've tried two cards. I've also tried using both the device and my PC.

Back