Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gbarry42 said:
I was over in the Play Store today and I noticed it claimed Leaf Spy would run on Android 1.6! In addition, it said "compatible with all your devices". I just had to try the HTC G1 again. And now I remember ('cause I had tried a beta version some time ago): it says "stopped unexpectedly" every time I try to run it.

So you should either change the spec to require 2.x, or, perhaps you'd like to find out why it won't run? I've got two old phones that would make nice little gauges for my LEAF.
My guess is that your phone does not support Bluetooth SPP. See if your phone lists SPP under Bluetooth profiles.

I have added the HTC G1 to the excluded list.

Update: Actually Playstore lists two version of the HTC G1 with code names "dream" and "trout". "trout" was already excluded so I added in the "dream" version.

Really? Trout? No evidence of that in my searching. Pretty funny, though. HTC Dream is the proper description of this phone. Pretty hard time finding specs on that, too. There's one paragraph in the manual that says it only supports Hands Free or Car Kit, otherwise, you get a connection error. Well, I was hoping for better, but at least we've "improved the database".

I have a Kindle. It doesn't have Bluetooth at all. But the program doesn't crash. Looks beautiful. There's just no way to get data into it :)

Thanks for the post! I have been using the LEAF App dropbox version for a while now noting that the Drop Box account says get it in the Play store but not giving me an indication of what it would be called. So I'm going for the Pro when I get home (need WiFi since I never activated Mobile service). But what are the features of the Pro version over the Lite and paid ones? Look forward to getting the nasty finger pointed at me for all the Quick Charges I do as I look sideways left and right otherwise inconspicuously. :)

I just updated my samsung galaxy S2 to android kitkat 4.4 - using cyanogen mod 11, and now I can't install Leaf Spy (any version). Just downloading and get error: "app cannot be installed on usb or sdcard"..... any solution? Other apps install without any problem from google store.

highend said:
I just updated my samsung galaxy S2 to android kitkat 4.4 - using cyanogen mod 11, and now I can't install Leaf Spy (any version). Just downloading and get error: "app cannot be installed on usb or sdcard"..... any solution? Other apps install without any problem from google store.
Did a search and found this old post from last year. See if it helps.

For 2 different apps,I have received reports that users are unable to install the apps. They get the following error-message:

Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card.

So far I have noted that said users are using Samsung Galaxy S2 and running ICS which was recently made available to S2.

Anyone else who has received similar reports? If yes, do you know if there is a way to resolve the issue?

EDIT: Just googled for it and it seems to be a common problem for S2 after the ICS-upgrade. Temporary fix is to tell users to unmount SD card temporarily (Menu->Settings->Storage->Unmount SD Card) and install/update the app. Then mount back SD card after installation.

Been using pro (bought both Pro and Standard yesterday as I heard I could get both for the same $14.99 price) and love the new set door lock buttons feature. One click open all is exactly what I need! But I'm a bit annoyed with the "energy used" meter. I like to have the 0-point at the best 100% charge equivalent and count down from there to both properly gauge how much lower my battery is from its formerly noted maximum and how much I've used since the morning since I have to charge to 100% every day to get home from work. Is there a way to set the energy used manually? I'd really like to set the zero-point to my best guess at maximum. I tried to do it this morning but the app reset and so now the 0-point is about two thirds my capacity.

Jeffrey.

TimeHorse said:
Been using pro (bought both Pro and Standard yesterday as I heard I could get both for the same $14.99 price) and love the new set door lock buttons feature. One click open all is exactly what I need! But I'm a bit annoyed with the "energy used" meter. I like to have the 0-point at the best 100% charge equivalent and count down from there to both properly gauge how much lower my battery is from its formerly noted maximum and how much I've used since the morning since I have to charge to 100% every day to get home from work. Is there a way to set the energy used manually? I'd really like to set the zero-point to my best guess at maximum. I tried to do it this morning but the app reset and so now the 0-point is about two thirds my capacity.

Jeffrey.
This actually should be in the Leaf Spy/Pro forum topic not the Lite forum topic but go to Settings/Battery and change the "Reset Wh Used Ctr" setting from "App Start & 1st Connect" to "Only Manually".

Keep in mind that with one click when you open the hatch it also unlocks all the doors. With two clicks opening the hatch leaves all doors in their previous state (locked or unlocked). After shutting the hatch with one click the four doors are always left unlocked even if they were locked to start with.

Turbo3 said:
it seems to be a common problem for S2 after the ICS-upgrade. Temporary fix is to tell users to unmount SD card temporarily (Menu->Settings->Storage->Unmount SD Card) and install/update the app. Then mount back SD card after installation.

There is no such option in my phone ;)
I removed SD card physically (also found that advice) but also no luck :<
Still same error message appears.

Turbo3 said:
If have just released a new version of Leaf Spy Lite. It is a small update so is still v0.27.

It allows the selection of "Secure" connection instead of the default of "Insecure". The difference being that for Insecure you need to supply a port number (default is Port 1) whereas with Secure you do not.

If you have trouble connecting with the default setting of "Port 1" then try going to the last entry in Port selection (Settings/System panel). It will be the last choice after "Port 30" at the bottom. Exit app then restart and see if that helps.

I would be interested to know if for those that had to select Port 16 if this option also works for them.

For now it is only available in Leaf Spy Lite but if I hear positive reports that it works in some cases I will add to the other versions of Leaf Spy.

I know for a fact that "Secure" does not work on the Nexus 7 which I have and is the reason I switched to the "Insecure" version with port number.

You may get a request for the pairing code the first time you use "Secure".
Jim,
I got a cheap Galaxy S4 (GT-i9500) clone from China and decided to try the LBA on it. I've been running the Leaf Spy Lite and LBA ver. 0.26c on a Nexus 7 for many months successfully with a cheap ELM adapter off Amazon, and thought it would also work on this cell phone, but I've run into unexpected problems and will probably have to send a trace to you to figure out what's going on. Here's the story:

The phone is running Android ver. 4.2.9. I downloaded the LSL from the Play store and installed it, and sideloaded the old LBA. Both seemed to install fine, but I could not connect to the Elm device using either one. I paired the ELM device and cycled through all the port choices from 1-16, getting nothing but "Wait 4 ELM" and "Connect 2 ELM" messages, despite rebooting the phone and unplugging and replugging the ELM device from its port. Then I saw this post and tried the "Secure" port option. This got me further than ever before, but not all the way. I got a new request to pair the device, and had to enter the 1234 code again, but this resulted in a new and different notification I hadn't seen before:
df941854-59bd-477c-a645-e1ff01410499_zps5fc2270b.png

This time the connection status seemed to progress but hung up at "Wait 4 Leaf 14" and wouldn't go any further.
9641d1e0-badc-4d56-92e8-ae001228b761_zps32563e20.png

I rebooted the phone, replugged the ELM and started again, and got a little further, to a "Connected 15" message.
f1462504-cd36-4012-bdda-dd5fd6cf87a5_zps5421dae6.png

After waiting several minutes with nothing more happening, I tried restarting the app, but then things got really strange--it could not even start the Bluetooth on the phone (hung at "Turning BT on")??? I tried turning BT on manually on the phone but it wouldn't turn on. I figured I'd crashed the OS or something and gave up at this point, as I had no more time to devote to troubleshooting. I rebooted the phone as I was walking back to the house, and saw a strange thing--the two shortcuts for the LBA and LSL had disappeared from the home screens on the phone! The icons were still in the App drawer, but even when I move them to one of the home screens and turn the phone off, they are not there when I turn the phone back on the next time. Very strange behavior. When I get more time, I'll follow the directions for taking a trace and email it.
:(
TT

ttweed said:
Jim,
I got a cheap Galaxy S4 (GT-i9500) clone from China and decided to try the LBA on it. I've been running the Leaf Spy Lite and LBA ver. 0.26c on a Nexus 7 for many months successfully with a cheap ELM adapter off Amazon, and thought it would also work on this cell phone, but I've run into unexpected problems and will probably have to send a trace to you to figure out what's going on. Here's the story:

The phone is running Android ver. 4.2.9. I downloaded the LSL from the Play store and installed it, and sideloaded the old LBA. Both seemed to install fine, but I could not connect to the Elm device using either one. I paired the ELM device and cycled through all the port choices from 1-16, getting nothing but "Wait 4 ELM" and "Connect 2 ELM" messages, despite rebooting the phone and unplugging and replugging the ELM device from its port. Then I saw this post and tried the "Secure" port option. This got me further than ever before, but not all the way. I got a new request to pair the device, and had to enter the 1234 code again, but this resulted in a new and different notification I hadn't seen before:
df941854-59bd-477c-a645-e1ff01410499_zps5fc2270b.png

This time the connection status seemed to progress but hung up at "Wait 4 Leaf 14" and wouldn't go any further.
TT
From what you have done, the SECURE option is what you need to use on this phone.

Since you got to "Connect 15" you are now talking to the Leaf. So yes I will need an ELM trace.

Go into Settings/Debug and enable "Trace ELM", exit and restart app. Let it sit on the Connect message for 20 seconds then exit app and send me the TRC_xxxx.txt file in the LEAF_BT_CAN folder.

Just two numbers that come out of the car.
The meaning of Hx is pretty much unknown,
and SOH is basically just another unknown.

But, some are still trying to discover the
hidden meanings in terms of physical properties
of the car, its battery pack, and its operation.

patrick0101 said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between SOH and Hx?
SOH appears to track the capacity in Ah divided by 66 (66Ah=100%). This, at least, tracks to within +/- 1% so I think it is a reasonable hypothesis. Best theory to-date for Hx (IMO) is it is related to the battery conductance where 100% is ~18mohs (at least this seems to track my data "with noise").

When the battery pack effective resistance (R) is 0.10 ohm, the
conductance (1/R) would be 10 mhos (ohm spelled backwards,
also called siemens).

In this case, a 60 amp current out of the battery would
appear to reduce the battery pack voltage by Amps x Ohms
volts, or 60 x 0.1 = 6 volts. The lost energy is usually
dissipated as heat in the battery.

Generally lower Resistance is better, being a "more-stiff"
battery, that wastes less energy during discharge, and
usually during charging also, when the battery pack voltage
appears higher than normal when forcing current into
the battery.

A higher conductance is better, and 18 mhos is 1/18 ohms,
or about 0.055 ohms. As the conductance gets lower, the
battery is less "healthy", and loses more energy to heating
when charging and discharging. For example, if the
conductance drops to 5 (the resistance is 0.2 ohms),
then 100 amps out, as during acceleration, we would
see the battery voltage "sag" by 100 x 0.2 (or 100 / 5) = 20
volts, losing more of our stored energy to heat, instead of
being used to propel the car.

Thanks garygid & TickTock. That was very helpful. If there is a better thread for this sort of question, let me know and I'll go there.

patrick0101 said:
Thanks garygid & TickTock. That was very helpful. If there is a better thread for this sort of question, let me know and I'll go there.
There is a thread discussing interpretation of all canbus messages:
Leaf Canbus Decoding
but GregH has a separate one trying to tie Hx to Capacity:
Capacity versus Health(Hx)
Either of these would work.

The MyNissanLeaf forum is not as draconian about off-topic threads as it used to be (especially if it is short - like this :)) but since this is only loosely Leaf Spy or Leaf Spy Lite related, it probably makes more sense to have interpretation discussions in those threads and leave this for Leaf Spy specific queries.

Tip: don't bother with the forum search feature when looking for related threads - it's a waste of time. Just bring up Google and use that (possibly with "mynissanLeaf" keyword added) - usually get you where you want to go.

jjon90 said:
Will this program load on a Android device that does not have GPS capabilities? If not, why is the program requiring GPS??
My mistake. I will fix that in Version 0.28.15. Should be available later today.

Thanks for reporting that.

Update: 10:44 AM PST - Just upload version 0.28.15 with GPS removed. Should show up on Play Store in about 90 minutes. This change allows an additional 195 devices to install the Lite version. If I can find a way to make GPS optional I will do that to Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro otherwise I might release separate versions without GPS.

Back