Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIGneutrino said:
Turbo3 said:
Actually this bug is mine in that the graph was hardcoded for a max difference of 10 degrees.

However, Gary is correct that the next release will fix this (auto scaling up to 30 degree difference) plus the negative temperature bug which will also handle down to -30 degrees.

I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference for the functionality of the display, but I've seen >30 degrees difference between MAX and MIN pack temps.

Screen+Shot+2014-01-21+at+9.45.09+PM.png

More temp readings:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RkQ9sOBlRfTnMwNlYtMUgxdk0/edit?usp=sharing
Next release will properly display up to a 40 degree (F) temperature difference keeping it within the display window.

q6gw.png

Just installed Leaf Spy Lite on Verizon Prepaid LG Optimus Zone phone. Synched up fine with ELM 327 mini. Can see both screens of data available on the Lite version. Before I upgrade to the Pro Version, I'd like to ensure that my phone is compatible. The only question I currently have is that the status window on the bottom right hand corner reads 'Connected' with two 2 digit numbers next to it. These numbers are continuously cycling between what seems to be 23 and 65 (sometimes a 12x shows up) and never settle on a single number.
Is this the expected behavior?
Thanks. Look like a great app.
LeafE

LeafErricson said:
The only question I currently have is that the status window on the bottom right hand corner reads 'Connected' with two 2 digit numbers next to it. These numbers are continuously cycling between what seems to be 23 and 65 (sometimes a 12x shows up) and never settle on a single number.
Is this the expected behavior?
Yes, that is standard behavior. You can turn off the display of those numbers in Screen settings--check the "Hide Connect Sts" box.

If the Lite app works on your phone and with your ELM device, the Pro version should too.

HTH,
TT

Greetings all. I've got a right hand drive Leaf here in Australia which means distances in kilometres, temperatures in Celsius & tire pressures in kPa. Anybody know what happens if I plug a Spy into my metric CAN? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't figure out if the bus is running SI units or if the units are applied to raw data in the app. If the latter are there any plans to offer a version with metric units?

I've tried connecting to my Leaf but can not get it working. OBD2 dongle works in my other cars using "Torque" but won't work with leafspy. I've tried all the port settings with no luck also disabeling the cars BT and ledding LS autoenable BT.

hm...

I just got a ELM327 VGATE Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool from "obdinnovations" on eBay, and a cable from "addstore" , and my son downloaded Leaf Spy Lite on his old phone, which he then gave to me, and everything connected fine at the first attempt. Now to download Leaf Spy Pro! Question I have is that the wiki page doesn't seem to show the terminology or abbreviations used on the current version of Leaf Spy, or will things agree on Leaf Spy Pro?

WisJim said:
I just got a ELM327 VGATE Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool from "obdinnovations" on eBay, and a cable from "addstore" , and my son downloaded Leaf Spy Lite on his old phone, which he then gave to me, and everything connected fine at the first attempt. Now to download Leaf Spy Pro! Question I have is that the wiki page doesn't seem to show the terminology or abbreviations used on the current version of Leaf Spy, or will things agree on Leaf Spy Pro?

All the things you see now will be the same. Make sure you check out the built in help in the app which is very thorough and complete.

I had installed Leaf Spy Lite to try it out before purchasing the Pro version as suggested by WattsLeft . I'm having a problem. The app's connection status keeps fluctuating from Green colored "Connected" to a Yellow "Retry ELM ##" every one or two seconds with majority of time being in "Retry ELM ##" status. I saw some YouTube videos of this app and they appear to always remain in Connected Green status so I realized there is some problem. Also, I tried two different Android devices and I got the same problem.

My two android devices are BLU Advance 4 smartphone, and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 wifi tablet.

My Bluetooth adapter is: Mini V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Auto Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool for Android
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261300267850?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I thought maybe the mini obd2 Bluetooth adapter was not working properly so I plugged it in my other car a honda civic and used it with the Toque Lite app and it worked just fine. There were no connection problems. It remained constantly connected. Then I plugged it in my LEAF again and I saw the same problem mentioned above.

Then I purchased the Leaf Spy paid version app because I wrote to WattsLeft and he said this problem could be in LEAF spy Lite and the regular paid version may not have this problem so tried it. Still the same problem of fluctuating connections with Retry ELM ##, and Connected, in the status.

Now I see the Connected status for a slightly longer duration than the Retry ELM status. However, I still get the readings so at least the app is giving me the numbers that I need but I am unable to see realtime readings such as power and regen readings.

Occasionally I lose connection all together.

Also, I am concerned that the continuous connection and retry may use more power from 12v battery. The lights on OBD2 adapter flicker a lot when this happens.

Has anyone else experienced this as well?

QueenBee said:
All the things you see now will be the same. Make sure you check out the built in help in the app which is very thorough and complete.

I hate to sound dumb, but how do I access the "built in help"? Or is it only in the Leaf Spy Pro, not the Lite version?

WisJim said:
I hate to sound dumb, but how do I access the "built in help"? Or is it only in the Leaf Spy Pro, not the Lite version?
I checked the free Lite version and it has About but not the Help file included in later versions of LEAF Spy Pro.

EVerlasting said:
Has anyone else experienced this as well?
Yes, I recently started to have the same problem. I though it is only related to 2015 Leaf. It seems to work fine on the 2011 and it also works on the 2015 when the car is ON. I will do more research.

Got some feature requests :) what would it take to get some of this.

I would like some carwings style support. not the climate control thing (though that would be sweet) but at least battery status. this should be easy. just send what it has.

I am going to install a galaxy tab 3 in the car to replace the nav system (well not replace just sit on top of it)

it will have its own data connection and of course wifi when wifi is available.

I would like to be able to have the 2 apps talk to each other. so from one device I can send a request to the other device (which will always be powered up) and have it send me back results.

maybe even a dedicated app? something nice and pretty I click "check status" and it reports back with battery status and estimated time to full charge from the app running on the tablet in the car connected to the obd interface.

would be nice if it would sleep (letting the device also sleep) and say every 30 minutes wake up for a second check status and send that to my other device. alert me if charging is stopped for any reason etc.. no reason to sleep if car is plugged in since its getting constant power.

maybe even a slick 1x1 widget on my phone that gets updated every 10 minutes from the app in the car device (when charging) so I can glance at my phone screen and see the charge status.

also. an update to the gui in the app so its prettier? also anyway to replicate the energy usage screen that is in the main unit but in leaf spy using data from obd ?

The paid versions ($10, or $15 for Pro) already have most of the
car data that you are looking for. Carwings just reports the battery
pack fullness, the same fullness-bars that you see on the car
dashboard display. Since "tank" fullness is of limited usefulness
after the tank "shrinks", LeafSpy tries to show that (as SOC) along
with the estimates of the energy available (more useful) in a nice
display.

Having a LeafSpy Mon (monitor) version (or feature that gets enabled
in Pro when you buy the Mon-version app) that could send a variety of
messages to your personal on-body cell phone, might be possible.

It might use WiFi if that is available, but cell phone messages if not.
A brother app in the cell phone could watch for the "LSP: ..." messages,
and display the info nicely, perhaps as a widget. Good if both devices
have active cell phone accounts, and unlimited message service.

A WiFi connection might take more work, especially since the two devices
might be on different networks, locating each other might require a DNS,
a dynamic Domain Name Service, so that one could locate the other.

Are there any free dynamic DNS still offered?

That is what I mean. See the data remotely on another device.

The other solution might be to use google drive? Push the dats to a file stored on google drive and then my other device can fetch the data. A little sloppier as it would use more data snd not be realtime.

Is dyndns not free any longer?

I'm using LeafStat on my iPhone, but it's very limited, and dm33 doesn't seem interested in offering a pro version similar to LeafSpy, so is there any chance LeafSpy will offer a wifi version for iPhone users?

Back