Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this new LEAF Spy Lite is no longer a good
test to know that the purchased versions will work?

Perhaps just add a GPS checkbox in all versions,
with the default to Off, which just inserts zeros
in the lat, low, and alt (and other GPS-derived)
entries in the program's log or database?

garygid said:
So, this new LEAF Spy Lite is no longer a good
test to know that the purchased versions will work?

Perhaps just add a GPS checkbox in all versions,
with the default to Off, which just inserts zeros
in the lat, low, and alt (and other GPS-derived)
entries in the program's log or database?
Nothing of any substance has changed. Just allowing people with one of the 195 devices that don't have GPS the ability to run Leaf Spy Lite. Leaf Spy Lite never used GPS so it was never testing it.

LEAF Spy Lite is the best way to insure that Leaf Spy works on your device with the ELM you purchased. That code is the same across all Leaf Spy versions. So nothing has changed there.

If your device does not have GPS you currently can not purchase Leaf Spy or Leaf Spy Pro. Play Store will block purchasing it because a device without GPS is not compatible based on the manifest file. So nothing has changed there either.

The manifest file contains the permissions (GPS, access storage...) and is created based on what functions your app uses. That is determined at compile time so not something that can be changed after the app is created. When you install the app you will see a list of permissions with a Yes/No option to install if you want to continue.

The only change is that more people will be able to run Leaf Spy Lite and see their battery state. That is a good thing.

One issue I have with all 3 versions of LEAF Spy is that the 4 tyre pressure numbers don't give any orientation. It's be nice if you had a very abstract car graphic in that window for the Tyre Pressure gauges to show which is front-left, which is front-right, etc. As it is, I'm still not sure which is which.

I believe that the 4 tire pressures are shown in
the orientation that the car last "learned" the
temperature sensor locations on the wheels.

However, since the wheels can be moved (or
"rotated"), the car's location-to-"Sensor ID number"
recollection might be incorrect or obsolete.

The LEAF Spy Pro version supports the mechanism
for re-training the car to "know" the new (current)
location of each of the sensors. This procedure
involves setting each tire to a different defined
pressure, and then telling the car to "learn" the
new sensors positions by reading the different
pressures.

Since this re-training involves inflating and deflating
to the specific pressures, "training" the car which
requires driving, and then re-inflating the tires to
the desired (usually all the same) pressures, it
is a bit time-consuming, so dealers are unlikely
to do this re-training for free, and without
a specific service request.

But, with the LEAF Spy Pro, you can easily do
this training yourself. A Cool feature, indeed.

TimeHorse said:
One issue I have with all 3 versions of LEAF Spy is that the 4 tyre pressure numbers don't give any orientation. It's be nice if you had a very abstract car graphic in that window for the Tyre Pressure gauges to show which is front-left, which is front-right, etc. As it is, I'm still not sure which is which.
The tire pressures are shown as they appear on the car (when properly registered). Upper Left is front left, lower right is rear right. Basically the top of the screen is the front of the Leaf. Perhaps some future version I will add a picture of the Leaf but that is at the bottom of my list for now.

If the tires have been moved and not re-registered then the location is unknown to the Leaf.

However, you can't have this problem with all 3 versions since Leaf Spy Lite does not display tire pressures. Can you please explain why you think you have this problem on Leaf Spy Lite?

Just got my Kindle Fire HD and after finding the right drivers loaded it with the latest Leaf Spy Lite.

Everything looks normal so I will upload this one to Amazon to replace the current one that will not download to the Kindle Fire HD.

Actually I think the one on Amazon will not download to any Kindle. Most likely because it needs GPS which was a mistake.

cqta.png

A new Kindle version of Leaf Spy Lite (0.28.16) is making its way through Amazon's release process. This takes about 3 days.

Hopefully with this version people will actually be able to install it on a Kindle device. The current version on Amazon can only be install on non-Amazon devices.

A splendid Christmas present, Thanks, and many blessings to you,
to your family, to all your "users", and to all those worldwide who work
so hard, but have so little. They are indeed the salt of the earth.
Sincerely, Gary

Just got word from Amazon that my latest version of Leaf Spy Lite passed their tests for the following devices and is available for download to those Kindle devices.

Non-Amazon Android (Nexus 7 - 4.3.X ) PASS

Fire HDX 7 WAN (3rd Gen) PASS

Kindle Fire HD 7 (3rd Gen) PASS

Fire HD 8.9 WAN (2nd Gen) PASS

Fire HDX 7 WiFi (3rd Gen) PASS

Fire HD 8.9 Wifi (2nd Gen) PASS

Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (3rd Gen) PASS

Fire HDX 8.9 WiFi (3rd Gen) PASS

Kindle Fire HD 7 (2nd Gen) PASS

Not sure if people reported before about the LeafSpy lite battery temperature display issue. I saw if the temperature difference is greater than 10 degree, the screen will jump around and made it unreadable almost every other second. I think the program is trying to display 10 degrees down from the max temperature and then display 10 deg up from min temperature. Also is there a page for known issue? Thanks!

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=11138843272516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, the problem was identified in the non-free versions of LEAF Spy,
the graphing library has a bug, and the next versions released should be
fixed, I believe.
Again, thanks for the report and pictures.
HNY, Gary

Actually this bug is mine in that the graph was hardcoded for a max difference of 10 degrees.

However, Gary is correct that the next release will fix this (auto scaling up to 30 degree difference) plus the negative temperature bug which will also handle down to -30 degrees.

I've just invested in LeafSpy Pro and have a quick query about my BT Adapter, a PLX Kiwi. It stays lit when the ignition is off, whilst this never caused an issue with my previous car (using the Torque app), is it OK to leave it connected on the Leaf or am I going to get problems?

I bought what looks like the same adapter that the author uses:

http://amzn.to/1lR9DsN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's 14 cents cheaper than the one in the link to the Ebay auction AND it's fulfilled by Amazon AND Prime eligible. I call it a win.

DarrenG said:
I've just invested in LeafSpy Pro and have a quick query about my BT Adapter, a PLX Kiwi. It stays lit when the ignition is off, whilst this never caused an issue with my previous car (using the Torque app), is it OK to leave it connected on the Leaf or am I going to get problems?
The current drain on your 12V battery from the adapter should be a negligible load if you use the car on a daily basis. If you are going to leave the Leaf parked for a week or two, I would pull the adapter out of the port, otherwise the 12V battery should have no problem staying charged. Don't leave your phone on and in the car overnight (or near enough that the Bluetooth is connected or trying to connect constantly to the adapter) as that may cause a relay in the front of the car to click constantly when the car is off and plugged in, due to command requests being sent through the OBDII port that can't be completed, as reported in another thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12857.

TT

I have noticed inconsistencies with the watt used meter and the kwh remain reading.
Last night i got down to 0.6kwh remain(8GID 9.5%SOC) and recharged at 6.6kw for 1hr2min. The chargepoint read 6.48kwh delivered and leaf spy showed an increase to 6.4kwh (expected with overhead of charging), however the reset counter had increased 6500kw's (an additional 500watts over the remaining display).

What is the mechanism used to calculate consumption, is it different to calculating remaining?

I also have noticed on a full charge I get 284 gids which shows at 101% and SOC 97% is that normal?
My battery AHr is showing 67.362

Back