Leaf : Trims, Features, Accessories, MSRP, Invoice Prices

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to get the $60 bandaid kit. I am hoping it will be neatly packaged into an out of way place.
DW has the Costco kit and it is always moving around and in the way.

smkettner said:
I plan to get the $60 bandaid kit. I am hoping it will be neatly packaged into an out of way place.
DW has the Costco kit and it is always moving around and in the way.

I think it's in the form of a backpack, which in the model on display at the SD Street Smart event was just loose in the cargo area...

208 volts for power is not the same as 240 volts, in the same way that 50 volts is not the same as 120 volts.

Same current at different voltage results in different power.

For example, 208 x 10 = 2.08 kW, whereas 240 x 10 amps = 2.40 kW (about 15% more power).

garygid said:
208 volts for power is not the same as 240 volts, in the same way that 50 volts is not the same as 120 volts.

For example, 208 x 10 = 2.08 kW, whereas 240 x 10 amps = 2.40 kW (about 15% more power).

What weighs more, 50 volts or 50 amps?

I think it's in the form of a backpack, which in the model on display at the SD Street Smart event was just loose in the cargo area...[/quote]

The little black pouch you saw at Street Smarts was the pouch for the L1 Charger that comes standard with the car.

garygid said:

As the reason I said the charger will draw more amps at 208.

Check your laptop charging brick. Probably ~65w output and 90 to 250 volts input. Input amps will vary depending on voltage. Still 65w out just as Leaf charger should be 3.3Kw out even at the 208v.

Anyway you will not see 208 at a residential property.

Yes, a typical "all-voltage" laptop brick will draw more current when on a lower AC input voltage, in an attempt to provide a constant DC voltage to the laptop.

The EVSE only "offers" the car a limited current, and (because of that limit, that the car "must" respect) the car charger might be designed to draw the same current, even if the input voltage is lower.

A L2 EVSE designed to "offer" 16 amps (Leviton) is very unlikely to change its "offer" at 220 or 208 volts, since the "offer" is based on the amp-rating of the circuit breaker, not on the voltage of the circuit.

AndyH said:
garygid said:
Thanks for the brake info!
I wondered what they usually do.

Is it typically done on just 2 wheels?
If so, front or back (on a front-drive car)?
Parking brakes are on the back.

I've had four cars with 4-wheel disk brakes and a mechanical parking brake. None of them had a drum brake of any type.

I've owned only watercooled VWs going back to 1983 and it is indeed true that none of them use a drum brake arrangement as their emergency brake. However, my VWs and your four VWs is not a good sample size. :)

BMW 5 series have a drum brake on the rear as their emergency/parking brake. Google for "bmw e39 parking brake".

So Nissan says the Leaf's built-in charger is rated 3.3KW. I tend to agree with garygid that it must be a matter of amps rather than KW, also that it may very well draw 3.6KW (15 amps) and has a 90% efficiency resulting in 3.3KW to the batteries. In an electrical circuit (assuming it can handle the voltage) the current is generally the limiting factor. So most likely the Leaf's built-in charger is actually rated at 15 amps input at whatever voltage. At 240V it will draw 15 amps, making 3.6KW (3.3KW out) ... and at 120V it will draw 15 amps, making 1.8KW (1.65KW out). But then the L1 EVSE is limited to 12 amps. My guess is that the Leaf could draw 15 amps at 120V provided the EVSE allows it and it's connected to a circuit with sufficient capacity, and then it would charge in 80% of the time.

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1050640_2011-nissan-leaf-electric-car-first-drive-review

Oh, and that decal in the photos? The cars we drove were pre-production demonstrators, and the "Zero Emission Vehicle" decal for the cars sold to individual buyers will be about one-third that size. And it's a dealer option, so if you don't like it, you don't have to display it.

Yes, the eco decal will be smaller than the demo cars.

Sure would be nice if Nissan would decide to post some PICTURES of each option.

Cars are rolling off the assembly line, maybe stop one long enough to snap some pictures of the 3D kick plate, ECO stickers, anything.

Or is this something the early customers are going to have to do?

GroundLoop said:
Sure would be nice if Nissan would decide to post some PICTURES of each option.

Cars are rolling off the assembly line, maybe stop one long enough to snap some pictures of the 3D kick plate, ECO stickers, anything.

Or is this something the early customers are going to have to do?

I finde this perplexing. Perhaps the parts are not even finished yet or the samples are so late they have not made it the marketing people for photos, regardless this is a complete failure on Nissan's part in a big way. Do they expect people to order a trim package or custom rocker panels with no pictures? That's showing pictures of the car with no paint and describing the colors as options. Even crude photos would have made sense, I skipped these options since I could not see them.

Those Accessories are what's known as Port Installed Options. The will be put on at the finishing facility when the vehicles are off loaded here in the states. So there wouldn't be any photos coming off the line in Jp.

mossyleaf said:
Those Accessories are what's known as Port Installed Options. The will be put on at the finishing facility when the vehicles are off loaded here in the states. So there wouldn't be any photos coming off the line in Jp.

So lets say if we ordered the car with the 3D kickplates, and they are not available at the time our car gets to port, does our car just sit there until the parts come it to be installed?

The thing that makes this so weird is that these options are 100% visual decorations.
They have no functional description, so their entire value is based on how they look.

PICTURES, Nissan, get your act together and buy a pocket camera, or mail some decals to someone who can work teh Flikr. Multimillion dollar marketing team and they can't tell us what the options look like..

"I've got some art, would you like to order it? Sorry I don't have any pictures."

Back