Leaf : Trims, Features, Accessories, MSRP, Invoice Prices

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the size of the nozzle (even the J1772 L1/L2 nozzle, and especially the QC nozzle), along with the placement of the mating sockets is such that the "charging hatch" cannot be (almost) closed while "plugged in".

Hopefully the compartment will drain well, considering it might be exposed to torrential rain for many hours, even days, if charging outside.

Strangely, we have not been even offered the charge-port "cork" here in the USA.

garygid said:
Apparently the size of the nozzle (even the J1772 L1/L2 nozzle, and especially the QC nozzle), along with the placement of the mating sockets is such that the "charging hatch" cannot be (almost) closed while "plugged in".

Hopefully the compartment will drain well, considering it might be exposed to torrential rain for many hours, even days, if charging outside.

Strangely, we have not been even offered the charge-port "cork" here in the USA.

Was torrential rain ever an issue with the magne chargers? Here's a youtube vid showing a magne charger being plugged in . . . . in about as rough a wet invironment as you coud imagine. There are a lot better conductors out there than water. But then again, I wouldn't necessarily want my J1772 pins getting all corroded, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gZktsbnsLg

hill said:
garygid said:

Was torrential rain ever an issue with the magne chargers? Here's a youtube vid showing a magne charger being plugged in . . . . in about as rough a wet invironment as you coud imagine. There are a lot better conductors out there than water. But then again, I wouldn't necessarily want my J1772 pins getting all corroded, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gZktsbnsLg

Does anyone actually think Nissan did not consider water on the charge inlet and have not tested such issues in may ways? I have no concern over any single safety aspect of the entire charge system or any water issues, the system is so protected and scrutinized.

I was not concerned about the charging system or the plug-in sockets. I was wondering about drainage of the exposed and connected body "compartments".

I have not remembered to look for "drain" holes when I have been near a "production" LEAF. Sorry if I was unclear.

garygid said:
I was not concerned about the charging system or the plug-in sockets. I was wondering about drainage of the exposed and connected body "compartments".

I have not remembered to look for "drain" holes when I have been near a "production" LEAF. Sorry if I was unclear.

Auto makers drain these sort of parts, one would hope Nissan engineers are competent enough to drain any area that could collect water. If they don't drain that then they possibly don't drain dozens of other areas on the car.

Has nissan posted any pictures on the hologram door panels or other packages. If you can change your color why can't you add a package?

Adding packages (accessories or oprions) changes the "negotiated" price, but they could have set ordering up so that the accessories could be changed.

Of course, they could have provided detailed descriptions also (and even pictures?), but chose not to do so. Maybe they thought it wasn't necessary?

What Accessories cannot be added later, after manufacture, by the dealer?

No wonder cars are delayed, they may not even have the parts built yet:) One has to wonder about a major product launch without pictures of the options being purchased, still.

I think as far as the charge port is concerned it will end up different on later cars
something like a smaller stronger quick fuel door that opens and once the thing is plugged in its locked in by the charge door cap(cast aluminum, or really thick plastic)

that way its secure and tamper proof as possible

you would have 2 if the car has quick charge, that way the unused port is not exposed to vandilism during charging
system could be setup to have a smart key sensor like the door handle and iginition

so only a person carrying the key fob could remove the charge handle thingy
just my 02c

indyflick said:
Just to be clear, there are three trims available on the Nissan LEAF. These are the SV, SL, and ETEC. The ETEC trim is an SL with a free DC Fast Charge port included. The ETEC trim is only available only to EV Project participants. There is no SL-e trim, its name was changed to ETEC.
I was wondering what eTec trim means. I ordered my leaf yesterday and didn't know what that was. I think I should have been reading this forum over the last months. Would've been more informed for the order, that's for sure. :)

Hi Steve,
The LEAF SL eTec trim can be ordered by people who have been accepted into the EV Project by ECOTality. It means that the DC Fast Charge port is included at no extra cost. Otherwise, if you're not affiliated with the EV project, the DC Fast Charge port is an option worth approximately $700 and you would just order an SL with the option....Hope that helps...

Randy

Randy said:
Hi Steve,
The LEAF SL eTec trim can be ordered by people who have been accepted into the EV Project by ECOTality. It means that the DC Fast Charge port is included at no extra cost. Otherwise, if you're not affiliated with the EV project, the DC Fast Charge port is an option worth approximately $700 and you would just order an SL with the option....Hope that helps...

Randy
Thanks Randy. Looks like I lucked out, then.

aqn said:
AndyH said:
garygid said:
Thanks for the brake info!
I wondered what they usually do.

Is it typically done on just 2 wheels?
If so, front or back (on a front-drive car)?
Parking brakes are on the back.

I've had four cars with 4-wheel disk brakes and a mechanical parking brake. None of them had a drum brake of any type.

I've owned only watercooled VWs going back to 1983 and it is indeed true that none of them use a drum brake arrangement as their emergency brake. However, my VWs and your four VWs is not a good sample size. :)

BMW 5 series have a drum brake on the rear as their emergency/parking brake. Google for "bmw e39 parking brake".

Looks like you found an exception - congrats.

My sample, though unspoken, includes various Vdubs, Saturn SL1, Matrix/Vibe, RX7, Miata...all have cable operated parking brake similar to the diagram I posted. Euro vehicles I've seen with electric parking brakes are also similar - the cable is replaced with an electric actuator. I expect the 5series is an exception to the majority...

I still find it very curious that there are still no pictures of US options on the Leaf site when ordering.

EVDRIVER said:
I still find it very curious that there are still no pictures of US options on the Leaf site when ordering.

I'd have to agree with you there.

Once read an interesting story of the original Mustang in an Iaccoca book. The base price was extremely affordable, but you could get a buttload of options with the car. Apparently the vast majority of purchasers bought accessories worth between 50% and 100% of the base car - and of course those are all high margin items for Ford.

It surprises me that with the demographics of the Leaf buyer, there are not a nearly infinite number of options, described in great detail on a Nissan website, for the Leaf. It seems like the kind of car that most of the initial purchasers would "personalize" in some form or another.

Latest posts

Back