LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this list and have been driving my 2011 leaf for 3 weeks now.
I read all the posts on the leafscan and would like to pay for one up front,
regardless of the price, and hoping it will be available as soon as possible.
I am in the Northern VA area, just outside Washington DC.
If I could be a Alpha or Beta tester, I would be happy to pay any costs
associated with this so I can try the leafscan at the earliest possible moment.
I appreciate all the wonderful leaf enthusiasts on this list and their eagerness
to help out with addressing areas of need.
Jim

Kickstarter is not needed, funding is not an issue, it's just working all the problems that have to be solved in order to get a new product to market. While LEAFSCAN isn't a physically complex product as things go, it's still a lot of detail work to design, engineer, and manufacture for me. I've had to take on things such as housing design for injection molded plastic, which is surprisingly complex. This is in addition to PCB design, software engineering, and sourcing all the parts, connectors, cable. Even sourcing the correct LCD display is proving to be a lot of work! Obviously I am outsourcing as much as I can to speed up the process, but even dealing with all the people who want to help eats up tremendous time!

The main reason I created this post is to get design feedback and assess how many units to build for our initial production run. Once LEAFSCAN is actually in production and we know our anticipated delivery date we can begin the pre-order process. We will announce it here, on our web site, and send an email out to all our customers. If you'd like to be on our email list, use our web form to request it, and this way you'll be informed as soon as you can pre-order.

Thanks Everyone!

-Phil

This looks great! I would have no problem paying a deposit. Sending you money and my EVSE was a leap of faith, but now you have earned my trust (it works great BTW).

When I started reading this thread there were 28 pages. There were 29 by the time I finished.

Ingineer said:
The main reason I created this post is to get design feedback and assess how many units to build for our initial production run.
The features I would like to see in later SW updates are:
  • kWh remaining display - I tend to think in miles per kWh so this is better than an SOC for my behind the eyes range calculator.
  • Audible friction break indicator - One of my co-worker has made an audible friction break indicator for his Leaf. It sounds like a Geiger counter. The more the break-pads are being used, the faster it ticks. I know you mentioned this as a feature, so I thought I would share this idea of how to implement the sound.
  • Low SOC alarm - I know the Leaf has some, but I want a programmable warning at X% SOC or Y bars and each N used afterwards.
  • DC to DC converter activity & log - This is nowhere near as useful as many of the other things discussed, but I am curious how often and how many watt-hours are being sucked out of the traction pack to power the 12V systems (especially if I add aftermarket heated seats).
  • Pack Balance indication of some sort (that really narrows it down!). I am in the 80% Club and when I get my LS, I may even be in the 70% club during the summer months. My pack is generally in the 5 bars to 10 bars range. It would be nice if the LS could help me collect data to determine if I should charge to 100%.

I'd like a Distance To Empty based on a simple miles-per-kWh figure, either one kept by the unit, or one I've entered. Not based on an opaque algorithm.
I'd love charge control/timer functions. I'd especially like to specify different charge levels for different times. For instance, charge to 80% during most hours, but boost to 100% a couple of mornings a week. It would also be nice if it could police the "no topping off" rule so that if other family members plug in after a short trip, it won't start charging if they haven't run the battery down enough.

Everything is coming along well development side, but manufacturing is still taking it's sweet time.

If everyone is on our email list, we will send out any eventful milestones as soon as they are achieved. Note, we haven't sent out any email as yet. :geek:

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Everything is coming along well development side, but manufacturing is still taking it's sweet time.

If everyone is on our email list, we will send out any eventful milestones as soon as they are achieved. Note, we haven't sent out any email as yet. :geek:

-Phil

Phil, please put me on the email list. ( [email protected] )

Best regards

oistein

oesse said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Phil, please put me on the email list. ( [email protected] )

Best regards

oistein
Jeez oh Pete . . . . is there some primordial thing that Leaf'ers can't follow directions? I'd thank Phil by letting the man do his thing ... and for not throwing in the towel with all of the superfluous junk requests we throw at him ...
:?
Here are his instructions ... look how simple!
Ingineer said:
............. <snip> ...................
The main reason I created this post is to get design feedback and assess how many units to build for our initial production run. Once LEAFSCAN is actually in production and we know our anticipated delivery date we can begin the pre-order process. We will announce it here, on our web site, and send an email out to all our customers. If you'd like to be on our email list, use our web form to request it, and this way you'll be informed as soon as you can pre-order.

Thanks Everyone!

-Phil

Phil count me in on the condition it can be updated to work with CAN messages of other EVs in the future. I plan to get a second EV and it will probably be from another manufacturer. Knowing you I'm sure it will.

Everyone says sigh me up but no cost is mentioned. If it cost $100 I would buy it in an instant. If it was $300, Well I can find better uses for my money.

My AT90CAN SOC reader was well under $100.

pii100 said:
Phil count me in on the condition it can be updated to work with CAN messages of other EVs in the future. I plan to get a second EV and it will probably be from another manufacturer. Knowing you I'm sure it will.

I doubt if it will work with other BEVs. My BCM/SGII only works with the LEAF.

Firmware Update and Logging Features:
(Edit: Corrected)

The LEAFSCAN is planning to have an easy-update
mechanism for its firmware, I believe.

Also, I think they plan to be able to log at least
some data to a standard SD (not SDHC) card.

I apologise for the GID-Meter comparison here,
it was out of place, sorry.

garygid said:
Firmware Update and Logging Features:

The new GID-Meter will have an easy-update of its firmware
via a mini-USB port, and the LEAFSCAN is also supposed
to have an easy-update mechanism for its firmware.

I expect a full-sized USB (type A) port on the GID-Meter will allow 2-channel
CAN logging to a USB Flash Drive, essentially a "Black Box" feature.

I think the LEAFSCAN was going to log data to a Micro SDHC Card,
but I do not recall exactly.
Except for that little mention of LEAFSCAN at the end, this post seems out of place in this thread. Did you post in the wrong discussion?

I don't think so. While there is certainly some overlap, they each serve different functions and have different features, and at a different price-point. Thus, I think there is a market for both.

UkrainianKozak said:
It's a start of new war between GID-meter and LEAFSCAN! :)

UkrainianKozak said:
It's a start of new war between GID-meter and LEAFSCAN! :)

I vote for BetaMax. I mean cassette tapes. I mean HDDVD. I mean SAE Frankenplug.

Heck - I guess I don't know what I mean. Oh Benign Rulers of Common Man, please tell me what I want because I can't decide for myself!

<Interface: snarky soapbox / Mode:shut>

Just so I can keep some relevance to the thread, I am interested, but it is price dependent. I'm looking forward to seeing this on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back