LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GeekEV said:
garygid said:
Firmware Update and Logging Features:

The new GID-Meter will have an easy-update of its firmware
via a mini-USB port, and the LEAFSCAN is also supposed
to have an easy-update mechanism for its firmware.

I expect a full-sized USB (type A) port on the GID-Meter will allow 2-channel
CAN logging to a USB Flash Drive, essentially a "Black Box" feature.

I think the LEAFSCAN was going to log data to a Micro SDHC Card,
but I do not recall exactly.
Except for that little mention of LEAFSCAN at the end, this post seems out of place in this thread. Did you post in the wrong discussion?

+1 Yes, the OP wants to know if the LEAFSCAN will be able to be used on other BEVs, such as the FFEV.

garygid said:
I think the LEAFSCAN was going to log data to a Micro SDHC Card,
but I do not recall exactly.
Gary, this is incorrect, please refrain from stating information about someone else's product. LEAFSCAN has a full-size SD card slot, also capable of accepting SDIO WiFi cards.

-Phil

LEAFfan said:
+1 Yes, the OP wants to know if the LEAFSCAN will be able to be used on other BEVs, such as the FFEV.
The LEAFSCAN hardware is highly flexible and very powerful, so yes, it's possible for it to be used in other vehicles, but would require a software upgrade. Right now I'm concentrating on the Leaf, but obviously I'd be happy to build systems for other EV's as they become popular.

If you want to wait until I add support for the Focus Electric, feel free.

-Phil

@Phil: Sorry for going OT ... but please check your website's email. I used it to "contact" you this morning.

GlennD said:
Everyone says sigh me up but no cost is mentioned. If it cost $100 I would buy it in an instant. If it was $300, Well I can find better uses for my money.

My AT90CAN SOC reader was well under $100.
I am working hard to keep the price reasonable, but since I don't yet know all the development and manufacturing costs, I cannot announce a price. I am not going to speculate and then have people get upset when I finally have the costs accounted for.

Your well under $100 SOC reader does not in fact even read SoC. It reads watt-hours, amps, and volts. You don't even get battery pack temperature.

The LEAFSCAN will read hundreds of different parameters all with great accuracy, including the Leaf's REAL SoC. Comparing the two devices is like comparing an Electric Bicycle to a Leaf.

-Phil

The problem in my eyes is that everyone including me wants one. You might have a first run of several hundred units and by the way its $500. Without a somewhat firm price it could be so expensive that you make a wonderful device that will not sell.

I do not want to have you make one for me and then have me refuse it. That would not be right to you since you would have invested money in its construction.

GlennD said:
The problem in my eyes is that everyone including me wants one. You might have a first run of several hundred units and by the way its $500. Without a somewhat firm price it could be so expensive that you make a wonderful device that will not sell.

I do not want to have you make one for me and then have me refuse it. That would not be right to you since you would have invested money in its construction.
I am not asking anyone to purchase anything up-front without full knowledge of the cost. I'm trying hard to optimize everything to keep costs low.

I'm not asking you or anyone else to buy LEAFSCAN, especially not sight-unseen. The only purpose here is to gauge interest and get feedback on ideas and features, so I can make a better feedback.

I'd much rather be spending my time developing LEAFSCAN than answering the same silly questions over and over. :(

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I'd much rather be spending my time developing LEAFSCAN than answering the same silly questions over and over. :(
I think it's unrealistic not to expect chatter and speculation - we're all naturally very excited by the cool stuff you're doing. Nobody's forcing you to keep answering the questions other than your own conscience not wanting to let people be misinformed... You may want to consider designating a few people as your personal "moderators" who you regularly keep in the loop (via email perhaps) so we (they) can respond for you while you keep working. :cool:

Ingineer said:
GlennD said:

I am not asking anyone to purchase anything up-front without full knowledge of the cost. I'm trying hard to optimize everything to keep costs low.

I'm not asking you or anyone else to buy LEAFSCAN, especially not sight-unseen. The only purpose here is to gauge interest and get feedback on ideas and features, so I can make a better feedback.

-Phil

I may be wrong, but I believe he was saying that you will find a more absolute number on the amount of buyers if there were a set price. I know that you aren't finished and you want to finish before you give a price. Kudos on the hard work. Keep it up.

Ingineer said:

-Phil

you may flame me if you have already done this Phil, but i would create an FAQ on your site, then simply paste a link to it to answer questions. this should save you some time!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

you may flame me if you have already done this Phil, but i would create an FAQ on your site, then simply paste a link to it to answer questions. this should save you some time!
I have found FAQ's simply don't work. They are good for driving up your google ranking, but very few people bother. Despite our well-done FAQ on EVSE upgrade, every day we get calls and emails that ask questions already well answered in the FAQ.

Again, I'd rather be working on LEAFSCAN than making a FAQ.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I have found FAQ's simply don't work. They are good for driving up your google ranking, but very few people bother. Despite our well-done FAQ on EVSE upgrade, every day we get calls and emails that ask questions already well answered in the FAQ.

So you think most of the people who have bought EVSEUpgrades have called or emailed asking question in the FAQ? For me personally I found the wealth of information in the FAQ to be very nice and complete.

QueenBee said:
Ingineer said:

So you think most of the people who have bought EVSEUpgrades have called or emailed asking question in the FAQ? For me personally I found the wealth of information in the FAQ to be very nice and complete.
I'd say a good quarter of our customers contact us by phone or email to ask a question that's answered on the web page already. Not to say it isn't helpful, but it's a lot of work to produce and maintain.

-Phil

Hi Ingineer,

are you able to provide any information or leads to how the charger can be enabled or disabled via CAN?

DaveinOlyWA said:
cdub said:
Ingineer said:
It's all in the head I know... but it seems to go down fast.I'll make it available at several selectable precisions. I, for one, like seeing it go down as it gives you a good "feel" for your "fuel". =)

-Phil

Well for people who are LEAF-heads... the extra detail is great... but for a passenger with range anxiety...not so much.

LOL!! is that an oxymoron?? how could you have range anxiety when you know exactly how much you have left?

how can you feel like you are about to hit the ground and die when you are standing at the top of a cliff?

Fear is irrational, it doesn't matter how much, how high, etcetera it just takes stiumulus to trigger a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back