Leaves in the Wild

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was driving to my brother's house in Mar Vista this morning to wash my Leaf. On the way saw another ocean blue Leaf pull out a few cars in front of me. Didn't have a chance to try to get his/her attention. While I was washing my Leaf a woman walked by and said mine was the first Leaf she had seen in the wild. Her comment: "You are one of the lucky ones." A friend of hers got a Leaf about 3 weeks ago.

My Leaf isn't scheduled to come in until November, but I love that I've seen more and more Leafs everyday on my drive to and from work. There's 1 blue Leaf that drives my route in to work from the 101 down Vine to Wilshire. There's another light blue one that drives my route home from mid-Wilshire to the 405 on Olympic. I see both of these several times a week. Then I also see random ones every few days along both routes. Can't wait to add mine to the mix.

I saw a Glacier Pearl LEAF today (WED) lining up waiting to enter traffic at a SafeWay center. She finally caught up with me a couple miles down the road and we waved.

I rarely see a Cayenne one in the wild, but today (TH) I saw one with a temp tag within a few blocks from where we live coming out the side street. I will be surprised if they are on the forum.

I'm fortunate to have a row of ChargePoints where I work, so when I came out of the gym last night after work I assumed that "the" blue Leaf plugged in was mine. After opening the trunk to put my gym bag in, I finally noticed 1) this wasn't my trunk (the Panasonic unit was out of its case, and 2) there were 2 people in the front seats already!

I apologized, and slunk sheepishly to my Leaf, which was hiding on the far side of a pair of RAV-4's. The owner, an engineer for LADWP, came over and we talked for a bit. He was quite gracious, but has more miles (6k) in two months than I have in six, due to a much longer commute (he was boosting on L2 to make it home that night).

So, I've gone from months of never seeing another Leaf, to having to be careful to pick the "right" one out of the parking lot, in 6 months!

EricH said:
I'm fortunate to have a row of ChargePoints where I work, so when I came out of the gym last night after work I assumed that "the" blue Leaf plugged in was mine. After opening the trunk to put my gym bag in, I finally noticed 1) this wasn't my trunk (the Panasonic unit was out of its case, and 2) there were 2 people in the front seats already!

Cute story!

I'm seeing at least one a day now. Sometimes two.

Stoaty said:
I was driving to my brother's house in Mar Vista this morning to wash my Leaf. On the way saw another ocean blue Leaf pull out a few cars in front of me. Didn't have a chance to try to get his/her attention. While I was washing my Leaf a woman walked by and said mine was the first Leaf she had seen in the wild. Her comment: "You are one of the lucky ones." A friend of hers got a Leaf about 3 weeks ago.

Might have been me or my spouse. We are over that way a lot.

It happened it happened it finally happened ,it was kind of spiritual in a way..I saw the light hit a car and then there was harp music and angels dancing around this car that I was facing 30 feet away at a traffic light..
As the light turned green,everything seem to go into slow motion as the driver in the other Leaf waved then I waved and then there was a lost of time as i was totally shocked in seeing another Leaf drive by for the very first time :lol:

I guess today was Leaf day as i was heading to Costco I decided to stop by Peoria Nissan to see about the 7500 check up.They have a new Leaf for sale there @ $35000

mark13 said:
It happened it happened it finally happened ,it was kind of spiritual in a way..I saw the light hit a car and then there was harp music and angels dancing around this car that I was facing 30 feet away at a traffic light..
As the light turned green,everything seem to go into slow motion as the driver in the other Leaf waved then I waved and then there was a lost of time as i was totally shocked in seeing another Leaf drive by for the very first time :lol:
I guess today was Leaf day as i was heading to Costco I decided to stop by Peoria Nissan to see about the 7500 check up.They have a new Leaf for sale there @ $35000

That is so cool Mark! Hope you see many more! :D

Seen two different LEAF's in two days.

They're getting kinda common :shock:

Had fun with another blue LEAF today zig zagging through slow traffic, love that instant torque :lol:

We saw 2 today within minutes of each other while sitting at a red light.

First was a Blue LEAF headed south and on the next light cycle I saw a Black one headed east. I was blending in with my Silver LEAF. :lol:

BTW this was on Sam Ridley/Industrial Blvd intersection around 2 pm today. (Smyrna, TN)

Saw a black one in the noon hour heading East across the I-90 bridge. I was in my Murano and pulled up along side and honked and waved, but the driver and passenger didn't notice a thing... :)

Also, unfortunately, they were traveling slower than most of the traffic (just a little bit, but still slower) and were staying in the far left lane...

One day last week, I saw 5 LEAFs driving in San Diego to and from work between Mira Mesa and La Jolla. A few days ago, I went out to the parking lot where I parked and tried to unlock my car but couldn't - perplexed, I looked again and it wasn't my car. Mine was 4 or 5 cars down!

Saw a white one with OC Nissan license plate holder with two women inside on Fairview and Adams Ave in Costa Mesa (heading northbound on Fairview). Pulled next to them, waived, and gave thumbs up. They did too!

My wife was excited because she normally messes up and incorrectly waves to Nissan Versas all the time :)

It must be Fall because I'm seeing a lot more LEAFs on the ground lately....5 yesterday evening and 2 more (one right behind the other) this morning, all in about 8 total miles of roadway, and none of them were the 4 from our neighborhood. (Sometimes I'll explicitly wave, but last night I was in the passenger seat and as we turned in front of one, my hand slowly reached out of its own accord in some sort of unconscious greeting-ish gesture - it felt very odd, like my subconscious recognized it and wanted to acknowledge it before I had even thought about it.)

I actually see so many LEAFs now that it's a rare drive when I don't see one; I've stopped noting the sightings on Facebook or here as a result. :)

Packet said:
I actually see so many LEAFs now that it's a rare drive when I don't see one; I've stopped noting the sightings on Facebook or here as a result. :)

+1.

However, the new wrinkle in my life is that I'm now starting to see LEAFs traveling in the same direction as me, as opposed to going the other way (which is more or less a daily occurrence now)! A blue one was a couple of cars behind me on Tuesday and I was directly in front of a red one this morning, both on the 405 freeway heading northbound.

Packet said:

Complete opposite near me, been ages now, and still haven't seen another LEAF. Plenty of Volts skipping about now.

Of course to be fair, they just starting delivering them to Canada this month, and there will only be a whopping 40 of them out to customers by year's end (with another massive shipment of 600 for next year, lol).

I think I am going to have mixed emotions when I start seeing them sometime in, uh, late 2013, lol.

Hopefully, Nissan will have the new, faster/longer range (135-ish mile NMC battery) Infinity EV available for me to import by then, and I can do it all again, (=

I usually do not see a Leaf during the day.
but today I saw two!

and a former colleague in Sacto told me she bought one. We had discussed it last week. she got an orphan, I am sure.

We just got back from a 5-day vacation in San Francisco on Tuesday. In those 5 days, I only saw ONE Leaf, and that was on our way to the airport on Tuesday to head out. I also saw only one Volt. I was expecting/hoping to see a lot more of both. Then again, a lot of our time was spent around Fisherman's Wharf and walking through various parks and whatnot, so we weren't driving around that much.

Been seeing a lot of Leafs in the greater Seattle area, though. In fact, Wednesday evening I was pulling out of a parking lot in Newcastle in our Silver Leaf, and another silver one pulled into the same street! I think that's the 4th Leaf owner I've identified living in Newcastle. I know of 2 black ones (one of which just got theirs a week or two ago) and 2 silver ones (including myself). In addition I have a Xebra, and there's at least one Gem owner and one Volt owner in Newcastle, so we have a pretty large EV population for such a small town.

Back