Lexus advertisement talks trash on EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen this?

More proof that Toyota isn't interested in EVs

http://chargedevs.com/newswire/misleading-lexus-ad-trashes-plug-ins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since they can't compete they trash talk the competition. Someone should keep their add and post it when they release their bev in a few years ;)

The Lexus CT200h is a nice looking little car, but once you've been spoiled by an all-electric drivetrain, a hybrid just feels unrefined and dated. Plus, CVT transmissions take all the fun out of driving.

They even use a Nisan Leaf in the ad charging for 4 hours. I guess you could just leave it plugged in for 4 hours, although it would have been fully charged long before the 4 hours are over. Or did Lexus get their hands on the Leaf with the 48kwh battery, or even a Leaf with a 72kwh battery. Then I could see it taking 4 hours on an L2, but an L3 would only be something less than one hour on the 48kwh, and less than 2 hours on the 72kwh battery. What do they know that we do not know???

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Looks like we are in the 2nd or 3rd stage.

If you go to their site, there's a flash or HTML5 video of their ICE vehicles which plays with this overlay:

xANAByn.jpg

LOL

http://www.lexus.com/hybrid/

The future-proof tab is also fun. They talk about nobody being certain what tomorrow's fuel will be. "It could be fuel-cells, hydrogen, even algae."

Do they think not mentioning the word "electric" will make people forget the elephant in the room?

:lol:
It's painfully clear to me, after close to two decades in leading the way in hybrid technology, that Toyota doesn't get it when it comes to EVs. In 52,000+ miles, I've never "waited" four hours for a charge. Charging has nearly always coincided with what I had already planned on doing: working, being at home, shopping, eating out, visiting friends and family. Furthermore, Toyota fails to realize many of us have adopted EV technology because we want gas out of our lives with little or no room for exception or compromise.

Toyota is making a lot of money right now with their hybrids and "green" reputation. They are falling into the trap that all car companies seem to fall into: "if it's selling really well now, it will sell well forever so lets build as many as we can at the expense of everything else". Last decade people thought the Prius was stupid and you could never make up it's additional cost when gas costs $1.50 a gallon. Just buy one of GM's SUVs!

evnow said:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Looks like we are in the 2nd or 3rd stage.

Immediately brought that to mind for me too. Since they're spending money on an ad campaign, I'd classify it more as 3rd stage.

I don't think Lexus is worried about LEAF, but Tesla is putting some hurt on them.

Nubo said:
I don't think Lexus is worried about LEAF, but Tesla is putting some hurt on them.
The big Lexus starting about the same price as a Tesla.... I would take the Tesla any day.
Lexus has been putting the hurt on other large sedans since about '91, now they are just part of the crowd.

I was checking out Toyota's Fuel Cell page and happened to notice this statement about their Fuel Cell vehicles.

"The FCV is emission-free. As in no CO2, no greenhouse gas produced, no emissions. The only by-product is water vapor. Which leaves the old gasoline engines all wet."

What they forgot is that Water Vapor is a greenhouse gas.

Back