Local Newspaper Article on Our Future LEAF Purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article cinmar. Kudos on the solar also; I love the idea of using my rooftop to get me around town.
The media loves them that "range anxiety" over that "pollution anxiety" or "balance of trade anxiety".
As an Urban Planner, I'd be curious about your experience getting cities in the SJ Valley to encourage charging stations either as a means of revenue like parking meters or to help reduce tailpipe pollution along some corridors (smog looked worse than SoCal when I was through there last summer).

cinmar said:
The local newspaper contacted me last week to write an article about our LEAF reservation/order, here's the story:
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101115/A_NEWS/11150322
I think they did a pretty good job. I gave him tons of info, and he didn't include some points, but it's a positive article for the LEAF overall.

Yeah, nice article. :) However, like a lot of reporters and other people, he misspelled LEAF;it's an acronym.

sparky said:
As an Urban Planner, I'd be curious about your experience getting cities in the SJ Valley to encourage charging stations either as a means of revenue like parking meters or to help reduce tailpipe pollution along some corridors.
Right now, it's an uphill battle. I think it's a chicken and egg thing. The feedback I've heard so far is that there is no demand in the Valley. I'm hoping articles like this one will get people around here to start the discussion, and in the end, they will see there is a demand, especially if they look beyond the needs of only the local community. In Stockton, we are sitting in the middle of two major corridors - I-5 and Highway 99. Stockton, and other nearby cities around us, are logical stop-off points for EV drivers traveling the State. There are both environmental and economic benefits.

I've contacted several places (i.e., local universities, regional rail, the City's parking district, etc.) to inform them about Car Charging, Inc.'s free charging stations, and our Economic Development Dept. included a section on the program in their recent newsletter for local businesses.

Also, the City of Stockton has a General Plan policy about EV charging/parking:
Goals and Policies, Page 13-12
NCR-8.9 Alternative Fuels Vehicle Parking
The City shall require prioritized parking within commercial and retail areas for electric vehicles, hybrid vehicles, and alternative fuel vehicles as well as provide electric charging stations.
I know how some policies get forgotten over time, so I sent a reminder to our Planning Dept., and they said that they actually have a new Walgreen's going in S. Stockton at Mariposa & Farmington that will include 2 parking stalls with a charging station for EVs.

If anyone feels in the debating mood, some moron just posted a lame response at the bottom of the article. You have to login on the paper's website to respond, but it would be worth it just to correct this ignorant guy's post. ;)

Here in the USA, even morons with lame ideas get to vote,
and the bright and rich get to lobby.

Which counts "more" toward what gets done?
Then, which is more likely to have a kind heart?

cinmar said:
If anyone feels in the debating mood, some moron just posted a lame response at the bottom of the article. You have to login on the paper's website to respond, but it would be worth it just to correct this ignorant guy's post. ;)
Yeah, I looked at it when I read the article, but decided a rambling diatribe like that wasn't worthy of a response. Anyone with half a brain would know it was nonsense.

But let me add my congratulations on the article. You done good!

very nice article.

as far as the poster, he obviously did not comprehend the solar panel part. but he missed big time on the concept that electricity could not be stored. there is plenty of discussion on using a large fleet of EVs charged by solar utilized to put some power back into the grid during emergency situations.

but then again, he simply missed everything

cinmar, great article and great picture. Congrats on getting the word out there, despite the yay-hoo and his anti-treehugger diatribe. It looks like a couple of good folks set him straight, though. If you read any general news article about EV progress, there are always, and I mean reliably always, people like him spewing uninformed negativity. It seems that they listen to one negative source, don't think about what they've read and spew it back angrily. I often try to respond on a point-by-point basis to try and counter the negative myths.

How old is Bax? He's very cute. Our nine month old granddaughter is teething too!

Boomer23 said:
How old is Bax? He's very cute. Our nine month old granddaughter is teething too!
He'll be 10 mos. on the 22nd. He has 8 teeth so far, and sometimes catches me off guard, like when the reporter was asking me questions - he grabbed my finger and chomped down. His jaws are pretty strong, and it hurt like hell. :eek:

Back