Looking for short (3-6ft) 12/3 extension cord

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBayArea

I have a 25ft 12/3 extension cord in my car for just-in-case needs. It fits nicely into the fix-a-flat compartment.

However, I have come across a few situations where I want to plug my Nissan L1 in somewhere and the outlet is a few feet off of the ground. This poses a problem because there is only about 1 foot of length from the L1 plug to the L1 box. That box is heavy and I am worried that repetitive use may cause something to bend or break.

I've searched for short 12/3 extension cords but can't find any. I'm looking for something in the 3-6ft range.

Thoughts?

If you are using an unmodified Nissan L1 then you just need a 6' appliance extension cord with #14 wire. That is what I used for five months running as my primary charge source at home. I also liked the 90 degree angled plug to drop flat against the wall. Any decent hardware store has them.

This is the exact item I have used:

dc3468f6-2bd6-4b08-9555-105624b3393c_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202891145

smkettner said:
If you are using an unmodified Nissan L1 then you just need a 6' appliance extension cord with #14 wire. That is what I used for five months running as my primary charge source at home. I also liked the 90 degree angled plug to drop flat against the wall. Any decent hardware store has them.

From everything I read here everyone recommended #12 gauge wire (12/3) - which is what I bought for my 25ft. cord.

You're saying that #14 is alright? stayonline.com (earlier recommendation) has a 6ft 12/3 for $11 + shipping which isn't too bad. The 90 degree angled would be nice, but haven't found any 12/3. But, if that's not needed then my options greatly increase.

The #12 appliance cords may have the 5-20 connector with a rotated blade on the hot (or is it the neutral?) connection. Will not fit most standard outlets.

Yes #14 has proven fine at 6' over the period of 5 months. I have also used a 100' #12 extension cord when needed. Voltage drop gets to be the issue with long cords. The short #14 wire is fine with the oem 12 amp load.

AWG #14 is more than enough for that distance and a voltage drop of 0.5%; also, the safety factor for allowable resistance in that specific case is greater than 1:6, which is way more than enough. For 25', the #12 is also fine with just 1% of voltage drop, just don't leave it rolled up when it is in use as the heat will not dissipate well.

Yes, as an Electrical Engineer I can confidently state #14 is fine for that distance. Many homes have #14 wire in the walls feeding your 15A outlets, and the EVSE will only pull 12A at 120v. But be careful to protect the connection from moisture and dirt! The EVSE's safety circuits to not cover any upstream cabling or connections, which is why SAE decided to limit the length in the first place.

Also, while the EVSE is water-resistant, it is NOT water-proof. If it sits in standing water, it could eventually fail.

-Phil

Make your own cord. May cost you a bit more than pre-made, but you can repair it if it gets damaged, or rebuild it if you decide you need a different length.

This page shows the Leviton Industrial grade 5-15 plug that comes stock with the cordset. The matching receptacle is there too. Super high quality. Get some flexible cord from Home Depot and you're set.

EricBayArea said:
However, I have come across a few situations where I want to plug my Nissan L1 in somewhere and the outlet is a few feet off of the ground. This poses a problem because there is only about 1 foot of length from the L1 plug to the L1 box. That box is heavy and I am worried that repetitive use may cause something to bend or break.
Just thinking out of the box a bit, what if you try to address the basic problem? I believe the outlets you are talking about are usually 18" to 36" above a garage floor or the ground outside, unless they are mounted over a workbench. The workbench is hopefully no problem, since it should have a place to lay the EVSE (unless it's as cluttered as mine gets sometimes). For the others, how can we support the weight of the EVSE? From your statement I take it you want a solution that works everywhere without modifying the outlet or surrounding wall.

So, what I'm imagining is a pair of small diameter aluminum tubes (such as cafe rod type curtain rods). Make them about 28" long with a hole drilled crosswise near one end of each, and a small diameter but fairly long bolt mounted in each hole. Lean them up against the wall, below or beside the outlet, with their "feet" spread apart for stability. Slip the open ends of the bolts through the two holes on the wallplug end of the EVSE, and let the rest of the EVSE hang down below that. Voila!

Ray

This is the extension cord I have used on occasion: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-14-gauge-outdoor-extension-cord-8855.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your local Harbor Freight store should have them, and at $7.49 it's a steal of a deal :)

But as planet4ever has pointed out, there are other ways of tackling the problem. Using any extension cord is going to reduce the efficiency at least slightly, and can be a potential safety hazard. Some people here have hung the evse box from a hook on the wall to keep it from pulling on the cord, others have placed a little table near the outlet to set it on.

johnr said:
This is the extension cord I have used on occasion: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-14-gauge-outdoor-extension-cord-8855.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your local Harbor Freight store should have them, and at $7.49 it's a steal of a deal :)

But as planet4ever has pointed out, there are other ways of tackling the problem. Using any extension cord is going to reduce the efficiency at least slightly, and can be a potential safety hazard. Some people here have hung the evse box from a hook on the wall to keep it from pulling on the cord, others have placed a little table near the outlet to set it on.
Here was my early-on solution:

pic

The EVSE Crutch™

It's a small stick (1" x 1/2") with small headless brads driven in at intervals that match the holes in the top/bottom of the EVSE.

-P

Back