Looking to buy a Leaf and have some questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1234567

The dealership said MSRP is 30,065 and their price is 27,437. They said Nissan has a rebate (they couldn't tell me how long this would last) for $7,500 so I can get a 2013 Leaf for $19,937. I asked if I would be eligible for the Federal and/or state (I'm in Illinois) tax credits and they said no, that's only for leases.

- Does anyone know how long the Nissan rebate is good for?
- Am I eligible for any federal or Illinois tax credits if I purchase it?
- Is there any feature that I would regret not upgrading to a better model than the base one?

Thanks!

Sounds like a slimy or misinformed dealer. I can't speak to your state's incentives or tax credits, but Federal is for the purchaser (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and a bunch on irs.gov).

If you lease, you aren't purchasing, the leasing company is. If you buy, you have to file for it (but keep in mind you must have enough tax liability to receive all of it).

You should be able to find official Nissan incentives and deals at http://www.choosenissan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, if you put in your zip code.

Since you seem to be in very early stages, how many miles/day do you plan to drive it? How much of it is highway? Will you have charging capability at your stops/destinations?

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

r1234567 said:
- Does anyone know how long the Nissan rebate is good for? NO, I have no idea. Although I have seen posts on this forum to that topic.
- Am I eligible for any federal or Illinois tax credits if I purchase it? Have you searched the Internet for this answer? Tax credits are generally listed by Federal and State sites. Try a Google search...
- Is there any feature that I would regret not upgrading to a better model than the base one? Impossible to tell. Familiarize yourself with all the options and make your decision based on what is important to you. There are lots of posts about options on this site. And lots of personal opinions about which ones are important, but ultimately, you must be the judge of that.

Sounds like the dealership doesn't really know what they're talking about.

The $7,500 is a federal tax credit that you get if you purchase (assuming you have enough tax liability to qualify), and Nissan gets if you lease. There is no Nissan rebate.
There is an up to $4000 state rebate in Illinios, that I believe is just for purchasing. More info here.

If their purchase price is really that much under MSRP before any federal/state incentives it looks like a good deal to me. That MSRP is higher than it should be for the base model though ($28,800.) I would definitely recommend you get the charge package as an add-on to the base 'S' trim. Given the colder climate where you live you might also be interested in the more-efficient heater, but that requires a bump up to the more expensive 'SV' or 'SL' trims.

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/findIncentivesByRegion/Illinois" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lists Federal and IL incentives.

Thank you for the link for the rebates. I'll check it out.

This will be for my husband and he drives 10 miles each way (20 roundtrip) to work. He sometimes has to coach or go to a meeting in the evening but that would add another 5-10 miles to his day. I have a minivan so if he needed to go further, we can switch cars for the day.

I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and I don't know of any charging stations but we will spring for the better charger for our garage.

The talk of a "Nissan rebate" of $7500 and inexplicably denying that you'd be eligible for the state rebate raises red flags that might indicate the dealer is trying to sell the car used. Make sure you'd be the first owner or you won't qualify for the federal/state incentives.

cwerdna said:
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/findIncentivesByRegion/Illinois lists Federal and IL incentives.

FEDERAL TAX INCENTIVES for NEW VEHICLES ONLY: (Note: slimy car dealers have been known to register the car to themselves, take the tax credits, and then sell you a "used" car with virtually zero miles; CAVEAT EMPTOR)

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

An income tax credit of zero to $1,000 (possibly $30,000 if a commercial site) for the cost of qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property (the car charging station). This credit is scheduled to expire December 31, 2013.

New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

An income tax credit of zero to $7,500 for the purchase of a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle. For lease, it will be a $7500 credit to the leasing company which Nissan will pass on to you as a lease capitalization reduction.

STATE & LOCAL INCENTIVES* | Illinois

Electric Vehicle Purchase Rebate

Rebates of zero to $4,000 toward the incremental cost of purchasing an electric vehicle to be claimed by purchaser. Rebates will be awarded on a first come, first served basis.

Reduced Registration Fee for Electric Vehicles

Reduction in the Illinois registration fee for an electric vehicle to $35 for a 2-year registration period or $18 for a 1-year registration period.

Just a quick note on chargers – the “charger” is built into the car and is not easy to change. What goes into the garage is an Electric Vehicle Service Equipment "EVSE" and it is pretty easy to change.

At 20-30 miles a day, I don’t know that you will see any benefit of the 6.6kW charger in the car versus the 3.3kW charger in the car. The basic model seems like a good fit for you.

Thank you everyone. I couldn't believe there would be a Nissan rebate and a tax credit because the price would then be too good.

I couldn't find that IL link so I appreciate that. The IL said it's dependent on funds. Does anyone know how I can verify the funds? I would hate to buy the car and not be eligible for a $4,000 credit. I just did my taxes and unfortunately we do have a tax liability over $7,500 so we will get the full Federal credit back.

I do have the funds to purchase outright but some people are suggesting leasing is a better deal. Is that because they don't have to wait for the tax credit?

I'm not sure what a CC is but I'll take a look at the upgraded pump because our winters are pretty harsh.

r1234567 said:
I do have the funds to purchase outright but some people are suggesting leasing is a better deal. Is that because they don't have to wait for the tax credit?.

PLEASE, LEASE !!!!!!!

With your low miles, just get 12,000 miles per year for 36 months, which will also insure that the car is always under the original warranty (no need to buy their overpriced extra warranty).

Then, in 3 years, toss them the keys and look around for whats next (and most assuredly will be better).

r1234567 said:
I'm not sure what a CC is but I'll take a look at the upgraded pump because our winters are pretty harsh.

You don't drive far enough to need the heat pump. Just run the heater at full blast if you're only driving 20 miles.

There's no need to get the upgrade anything... the $28,800 LEAF-S base model will be perfect, but it won't have Cruise Control (CC).

^^^
And with such little driving each day, the OP is probably fine with using the included 120 volt level 1 "trickle charge" cord set (EVSE) instead of shelling out more $ to purchase and install a level 2 EVSE.

TonyWilliams said:
You don't drive far enough to need the heat pump. Just run the heater at full blast if you're only driving 20 miles.
There's no need to get the upgrade anything... the $28,800 LEAF-S base model will be perfect, but it won't have Cruise Control .
I agree with Tony, but be aware that there are some other things you will be giving up:
  • No B-mode for higher recovery of energy when slowing down or going downhill. (Downhill? In Chicago? :lol: )
  • No remote control, so you will have to go out to the car to warm it up in the morning. (Unlike a gas car you aren't warming the engine up; you are warming the cabin up. But that will take a while on a cold Chicago morning, and it's better to do that while plugged in.)
  • No backup camera. I would have scoffed at that two years ago, but I love the one I have on my 2011 LEAF.
  • No automatic headlights or LED headlights. I don't see that as a huge loss.

Ray

Back