Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go. I plan to be there this evening myself.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4547

lettcco said:
Kataphn said:
Looks like there is a thread starting for Northern LA County meet up, so I will cancel the proposed IHOP gathering in NE Los Angeles on July 15 and see what is decided in the other thread. Looks like Burbank or Van Nuys will be the meeting place. See you LA area folks there.

Hi, where is this thread? not seeing it in Regional discussion...

The City of Seal Beach would like to invite you to the Electric Vehicle Charging Station Ceremony.

The City is proud to present the recently completed installation of 2 stations for a rate of $2.52 per 2 hour time period in the public beach parking lot. The ceremony will take place on
July 11, 2011
5:00pm, Monday
8th Street Beach Parking Lot

Please join us and bring your vehicle down.

If you have any questions I my be reached at:

Michael S. Ho, City Engineer
City of Seal Beach - 211 Eighth Street, Seal Beach, CA 90740
(562) 431-2527 Ext. 1322

For Information about Seal Beach, please see our city website: http://www.sealbeachca.gov

National Plug In Day, taking place on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011, is an unprecedented nationwide observance drawing global attention to the environmental, economic and other benefits of plug-in electric vehicles through simultaneous events staged in at least one dozen major cities nationwide.

Plug In America, the Sierra Club, and the Electric Auto Association are teaming up to plan for this effort, which will sound the bell through plug-in parades, tailpipe-free tailgate parties, test-drives and other grassroots activities in Santa Monica, Seattle, Sacramento, Washington D.C., Austin, Charlotte, Detroit, New York City and others.

If you're interested in helping to organize a National Plug In Day event in your city, otherwise participating or learning more, please email [email protected], with PlugInDay in the subject line.

I went to cal state la and checked out the charging stations. There are 2 charge point stations in lot 10 by bldg. 11 technology and engineering. There are the usual ev only signs at the top of each space and they say tow away for any non electric car. There are no markings on the pavement. There is another ev space next to these 2 spaces which is marked ev only but has no charge station. The cable from the adjacent evse would reach it easily. There were 2 blue leafs charging. One display indicated active charging and the other said waiting. Neither one had a protocol placard displayed. Lot 10 is permit only lot. I could have parked in the non evse space but was concerned about not having a permit. So I returned to the info booth to ask if there were other stations on campus (no) and also to ask if I could park in ev space without a permit in lot 10 (yes!). So I drove back to lot 10 and one leaf was gone. So I was able to plug in using charge point card. No fee for charging at least now. I could not see any fees posted on device or on the screen. I used placard for first time. A good experience!

Hi all. So if anyone lives near Burbank, the city would like to invite you to the unveiling of their first public charger. They are hoping some EV owners will come by and they get some press on the event. It is pretty close to my house so I am excited to use it when I am out shopping. I am going to try to make the event so the city can see the EV excitement!

The event is Dec. 1st at 10am.
New Chargepoint EVSE is located at the Burbank Town Center Mall (201 East Magnolia Blvd.)
We will be meeting outside the Sports Chalet by the East Garage.

Let me know if anyone needs any more info. This is exciting stuff!

-Peter

I'll be right nearby then and will stop by for the event.

prberg said:
Hi all. So if anyone lives near Burbank, the city would like to invite you to the unveiling of their first public charger. They are hoping some EV owners will come by and they get some press on the event.

prberg said:
It is pretty close to my house so I am excited to use it when I am out shopping.

I'm pretty conflicted here. I'm of the opinion that the ones by your house are the very ones you probably shouldn't be using, giving their use over to those coming from greater distance and who may need charge to get home. But at the same time, I do want the public to see them in continual daily use. Like I said...pretty conflicted. Be sure to use your protocol card!

prberg said:
New Chargepoint EVSE is located at the Burbank Town Center Mall (201 East Magnolia Blvd.)

I should be able to attend this as well, excited to get some more chargers up in the valley area.

-Matt

mwalsh said:
prberg said:
It is pretty close to my house so I am excited to use it when I am out shopping.

I'm pretty conflicted here. I'm of the opinion that the ones by your house are the very ones you probably shouldn't be using, giving their use over to those coming from greater distance and who may need charge to get home. But at the same time, I do want the public to see them in continual daily use. Like I said...pretty conflicted. Be sure to use your protocol card!

Good point. I always use my protocol card when doing public charging (is there an updated one for the LEAF that says when blue lights are not flashing, the car can be unplugged? Of course I could be towed if I am not plugged in thanks to that stupid GM bill that passed a few months ago). I do want the city to know they are being used though. I will probably just use them at the beginning and if I see they are often occupied I will probably stop using them (and I will let the shopping mall and the city know that we need more!).

-Peter

Wish I could go but I teach in Santa Monica on Thursdays. I hope to use it too, when I'm driving somewhere east of Pasadena and need a boost to return home.

Was down at the Town Center today. The 2 Chargepoints are attached to the outside east wall of the Macy's with 4 parking spots. Not sure what the plan is but it used to be 15minute parking, now I guess they are turning it in to EV parking? No signage as such yet, but the curbs were just painted green, chargers were turned off.

On google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.18...55167&sspn=0.011596,0.015213&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17

-Matt
PS: The Ikea across the street is supposed to install Blink chargers also, so there will be choices here eventually.

Lopton said:
Was down at the Town Center today. The 2 Chargepoints are attached to the outside east wall of the Macy's with 4 parking spots. Not sure what the plan is but it used to be 15minute parking, now I guess they are turning it in to EV parking? No signage as such yet, but the curbs were just painted green, chargers were turned off.

On google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.18...55167&sspn=0.011596,0.015213&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17

-Matt
PS: The Ikea across the street is supposed to install Blink chargers also, so there will be choices here eventually.
I think the Macy's is now a Burlington Coat Factory.

I will try to make it, not sure if I can.

If I can't someone (or everyone) should ask the city officials (And any press) why the 480 Aerovironment charger they installed in the City Public Works Yard (120 South Lake Street) isn't being used. It sure would help make the EV adoption rate go up, and it is already in place. They put it in for a hyrogen powered bus, but the bus doesn't work, so the charger just sits there near the gas pumps. Really quite sad to see in a city that has done great things for air qualtiy in the past, like convert the entire trash fleet to CNG.

I was talking about this at work today, and a co-worker told me he had seen them. But it wasn't them. He had seen a pair in the parking structure next to city hall. I checked, and there are indeed two more installed. This is the Parking structure on Orange Grove. If you come down the hill from Third street make a right and they are the two spaces next to the handicap spot. Still don't have power to them, but they are in place! There should be a total of 11 city wide from what I hear.

Found out that the cost to park will be $2 an hour at the Burbank Chargers. Don't know how much use they will get, but the premium parking spot at christmas time might be worth it.

prberg said:
Hi all. So if anyone lives near Burbank, the city would like to invite you to the unveiling of their first public charger. They are hoping some EV owners will come by and they get some press on the event. It is pretty close to my house so I am excited to use it when I am out shopping. I am going to try to make the event so the city can see the EV excitement!

Let me know if anyone needs any more info. This is exciting stuff!

-Peter
The ceremony was well attended with lots of City and Stake holders attending. A reminder that many are involved in citing a charge station.

Burbank is inaugurating a total of 11 ChargePoint units with L1 and L2 at each. 9 in downtown and 2 in the media district (Pass Ave at the Lakeside shopping center). Lots to do at these locations and charging is free for the next ~ 8 months.

I happened to be in Burbank last Friday and stopped by to check out these chargers. Didn’t realize they hadn’t been inaugurated yet however they still worked fine. :p
They were a little tricky to find since they are actually outside the parking structure in the open area between the structure and Sports Chalet. I was just going to plug-in for a minute so that car stored the location but that turned into, “hey let's walk around the mall for awhile”. Long-story-short, the "free" charge lured me into the mall and set me back $100. :roll: Hey I'm just trying to support the free charging business case!

Have been reading some of the posts from way back right through to November this year. So glad to see that there are more folk are taking delivery of their vehicles. That said, is there anyone in the LA area who has taken delivery of their EV in past 12 months who might be interested in meeting a few senior executives from a leading utility company in January 2012. This is part of a research study for them to better understand the issues associated with owning and operating your vehicle. The interview would take place on Wednesday January 11th 2012 in the afternoon for approximately 90 minutes, ideally at your residence. You will be compensated for your time. If interested, please contact Mike at [email protected] by Friday December 9, 2011. Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

Back