Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB said:
I happened to be in Burbank last Friday and stopped by to check out these chargers. Didn’t realize they hadn’t been inaugurated yet however they still worked fine. :p
They were a little tricky to find since they are actually outside the parking structure in the open area between the structure and Sports Chalet. I was just going to plug-in for a minute so that car stored the location but that turned into, “hey let's walk a round the mall for awhile”. Long-story-short, the "free" charge lured me into the mall and set me back $100. :roll: Hey I'm just trying to support the free charging business case!
Must have been the black Leaf that was parked there when my wife and I returned from CA Pizza Kitchen. You got off easy. My foray into the mall cost me $3900 :!: that I did not need to spend, and had no plan to spend. I need to go back and tell the shop owner it was due to the EV chargers the city put in.

Visited the Burbank chargers by Sport Chalet today...a bit confused when I first arrived:
IMG_20111228_132142.jpg

First off, there are 2 blockade thing on 2 out of 4 stalls. Then there are 1 with a 15 mins loading sign, 1 with EV only sign, 1 with no sign at all, and 1 with both EV only AND handicapped sign. Fortunately the EV only one was not blocked off. But man, Do I have be both handicapped AND drive an EV to park in that last spot?

I have been wondering the same thing. Situation is this - these spaces are being put in by the Burbank water and power division, not the street division that knows the codes, signs, and colors for parking areas.

The barriers are great to keep the spaces from being ICED, so leave them and replace them when you leave. Both chargers are working well, as are the ones off Orange Grove a few blocks away, near city hall. Those spaces are always ICED though, since the green paint is not on the ground, and there may be no enforcement yet. I did ask the supervisor in charge of signs and paint within the city, and he just raised his hands and told me it was BWP in charge of that.

As for the handicap situation, without the blue lines and proper markings on the ground, you could likely fight a ticket, and likely won't get one if you are in an EV. The same supervisor told me that a certain number of spaces may have to be given over to handicapped people, since they may have an EV too. Hadn't heard that one before, but if it is an either/or space we win out - which is what I think is the case now. If you have an EV and are charging in the space with the handicap sign you are ok, and if you are handicapped you are ok. Beauty of this is if an ICE parks there, they can be hit with parking in an handicap spot.

The 15 minute space is just that, so don't use it.

lettcco said:
First off, there are 2 blockade thing on 2 out of 4 stalls. Then there are 1 with a 15 mins loading sign, 1 with EV only sign, 1 with no sign at all, and 1 with both EV only AND handicapped sign. Fortunately the EV only one was not blocked off. But man, Do I have be both handicapped AND drive an EV to park in that last spot?

I got a charge a couple of times there. The first time there was a big van with a disabled placard parked DIAGONALLY in two right stalls blocking 1 charger.

Warner Brothers Studios (The Burbank Studios) has two Eaton J1772 charging stations in the visitors Parking Lot (Gate 3) at 4200 West Olive Avenue.

They are on the second floor in the Southeast corner near the elevators. Yesterday, they were powered on but seemingly not functional and not accessible due to ICE vehicles using the spaces. There is no signage yet. The units have a magnetic swipe for credit cards and a pad for RFID cards. Swiping my card did not activate them.

Missing Blinks!

A bizarre situation has developed involving a nationwide retail shopping center management company, Westwood Financial, based in west Los Angeles, and three freestanding Blink charging stations that they installed very recently at one of their small retail properties at the corner of Melrose Ave. and Vine St. (Rossmore to the south) in central Los Angeles, just south of Hollywood.

I got wind of this project, which according to Westwood Financial is planned for many of their retail shopping centers, by accident. So I drove past the Melrose Center location about two weekends ago and was jubilant to find three heretofore unknown EVSE installs in the property's smallish parking lot. (You can see a list of Westwood Financial's properties here: http://www.westfin.com/Properties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

(I planned to insert a photo of the three stations here but haven't yet figured out how to do it on this forum - I will attach it later if someone gives me a quick tutorial - thanks!)

All of them were ICE'd at the time - there was no signage identifying the spaces as EVSE - but I noticed one of the ICE car's owners standing in front of the middle Blink pedestal studying it intently, and somewhat comically. It reminded me of the apes studying and genuflecting to the black monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey." No ridicule intended here, it was just funny.) I told the driver what he was looking at and what it was for, and pointed out that I was driving an EV. He kindly offered to move his car so I could plug in. and I did. Charging confirmed - amazing and wonderful!

Delighted, I emailed many of the officers of Westwood Financial with a laudatory and congratulatory message, and asked them how and when they planned to publicize this project. I also included a pic of the three ICE'd stations and gently suggested that they should have signage to discourage non-EVs from parking there. After a couple of days, I got a reply, which I'm posting below:

On Jan 24, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Niamh Carvill <[email protected]> wrote:

Mr. Hebb, I am the property manager for this property on behalf of Westwood Financial and we are delighted that you have so immediately found and used these EV stations!

This is a large project that is still in progress on and in many of our properties. I will bring your comments and observations to the attention of the company . I will happily forward to you any information I get from them in regard to how the public will be/is being informed of these locations.

Westwood Financial takes pride in taking whatever steps we can to improve the environment for our tenants, their customers and the community at large. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and suggestions!

Kind Regards,
Niamh
Niamh (Neev) Carvill
Westwood Financial Corp. | Commercial Property Manager
11440 San Vicente Boulevard, Ste 200 | Los Angeles, CA 90049
Office: 310.820.5443 | Fax: 310.207.5154
[email protected] | http://www.westfin.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far, so good.

Last Sunday I drove past Melrose Center again, as I live just a couple of miles away, with the thought of stopping for a top-off. Shockingly, all three Blink stations were gone - vanished! I mentally rubbed my eyes, pulled over and got out of the car to inspect carefully. The only evidence that they had ever been there were the filled boltholes in the asphalt. Unbelievable!

I then sent this email to Westwood Financial, and have yet to receive a reply:

Niamh,

I am shocked!

Yesterday I happened to drive past this property and glanced over to see no evidence of the three Blink charging stations that were certainly there less than two weeks ago. I was so flabbergasted that I pulled over, in disbelief, to be sure I was not hallucinating. The only vestige that remained indicating the three stations ever were there were filled-in bolt holes in the parking lot asphalt.

I can't imagine what would have happened to occasion Westwood Financial to remove the EVSE equipment there, less than two weeks after it was initially installed. I know, as a Leaf owner, that pulling the 240V electrical circuits and installing the freestanding charging pillars alone is quite costly, notwithstanding any costs for the equipment itself (although I understand there was assistance from the DOE).

Since we have exchanged correspondence on this project before, would you please be so kind as to enlighten me regarding this baffling reversal of direction?

My best guess is that the principals of Westwood Financial were not closely involved with the "company that is coordinating these installations" and my email came as something of an eye-opener to them. When they started thinking about it, someone may have realized that this location is probably not well-suited for three Blink pedestals, as the parking lot is quite small and inadequate for the traffic at this location to begin with. Perhaps one station would be appropriate, but even that would be difficult to "police" and prevent if from being constantly ICE'd. Of course, I would never look a gift horse in the mouth, but I may have inadvertently opened up a can of worms, and thereby lost our Leaf community a great charging location. :cry: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=24&t=323#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The good news is that Westwood Financial appears to be proceeding with installations at other properties they own.
In particular, I discovered and used one of their three Blink EVSE stations at Magnolia Blvd. and Vineland in North Hollywood. This location is far more suitable; the lot is spacious (there is a Ralph's grocery anchor and a fairly large strip mall) and the Blinks are located at one edge, away from the retail stores where visitors would not normally want to park. This spot is good for parking if you want to see a movie at the brand-new Laemmle theaters on Lankershim Blvd. in NoHo, as it's just a five-minute walk west on Magnolia Blvd.

If anyone lives near any of the other Westwood Financial properties, you may want to drive past and see if any new Blink EVSE stations are sprouting up, and let us know.

But please be careful what you say if you decide to contact Westwood Financial - it could have unintended consequences - blowback - that isn't welcome.

Tim

timhebb said:
Missing Blinks!

But please be careful what you say if you decide to contact Westwood Financial - it could have unintended consequences - blowback - that isn't welcome.

Tim
I doubt that you had anything to do with what happened. More likely the address for where they were supposed to be installed was mixed up and they removed them to put them where they were supposed to go or some other snafu that they really would rather not explain.

Or possibly they could have been stolen overnight if they only used regular bolts to the ground?

Off topics, but I love that Mario's Peruvian restaurant at the Melrose Center! Go there many times for lunch, but haven't gone for a while since I don't work that close.

Caracalover said:
timhebb said:
Missing Blinks!

Tim
I doubt that you had anything to do with what happened. More likely the address for where they were supposed to be installed was mixed up and they removed them to put them where they were supposed to go or some other snafu that they really would rather not explain.

Anyone know when we're gonna see the first EV car chase on TV? Probably won't be a Leaf but maybe a Tesla in a few years...

Anyone know the best place to park and charge at the Aquarium of the Pacific?

Plug Share shows a J1772 about 2 blocks away, but I'd love to hear some personal experience.

Driving down from LA on Monday and it's only 30 miles each way but I'd like the option to charge as I'll have a full car.

coolfilmaker said:
Anyone know when we're gonna see the first EV car chase on TV? Probably won't be a Leaf but maybe a Tesla in a few years...

You know the low battery warning will come on.. I think the first EV car chase happened in the film THX 1138 in 1971 (with a temperature warning), the Woody Allen film about a man that is revived in the future also has a chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8t6CEGoQ4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD8C86D85D0D8D3F2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
coolfilmaker said:

You know the low battery warning will come on.. I think the first EV car chase happened in the film THX 1138 in 1971 (with a temperature warning), the Woody Allen film about a man that is revived in the future also has a chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8t6CEGoQ4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD8C86D85D0D8D3F2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I meant a real car chase. With news helicopters and highway patrolmen in pursuit. I think it would be go very far to change the public's view of range anxiety.

JustinC said:

Plug Share shows a J1772 about 2 blocks away, but I'd love to hear some personal experience.

Driving down from LA on Monday and it's only 30 miles each way but I'd like the option to charge as I'll have a full car.

Only positive reports on both plugshare and recargo, I think you'll be fine. I used Brooksfield chargers in downtown LA, nice setup, it looks like a similar site there in Long Beach. Just don't forget to take your ChargePoint card with you. Recargo lists $12 max charge for parking there.

http://www.recargo.com/sites/3161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustinC said:

There are actually a bunch of EV parking spaces in the aquarium parking lot dating back to the EV1 days. All the old paddle-style chargers were removed, but there are 120v outlets accessible and the spots are the closest you can possibly get to the aquarium. Unfortunately, the prime real estate plus the years without EVs mean that the spots are mostly ICEd, but I usually can still find one or two available. I actually snagged a spot there on Friday.

coolfilmaker said:
Anyone know why someone's been reporting multiple chademo chargers at 350 green wallgreens on recargo?

Prrobably in error, I drove by one of the Wallgreens on Ball just now, not surprisingly no sign of Chademo there.

My Leaf was the only one attending Roger Waters concert at LA Coliseum last night, or so it seemed as at I didn't see others anywhere including the charging spots in the California Science Center parking lot. Kudos to whoever manages them, thanks to clear signage, somewhat unexpectedly, none was ICE'd despite the fact it was kind of a mess to get in and out because of massive crowds there that night. I arrived with not enough juice left to make it back home so finding a charger available was a big relief.

Valdemar said:
My Leaf was the only one attending Roger Waters concert at LA Coliseum last night, or so it seemed as at I didn't see others anywhere including the charging spots in the California Science Center parking lot. Kudos to whoever manages them, thanks to clear signage, somewhat unexpectedly, none was ICE'd despite the fact it was kind of a mess to get in and out because of massive crowds there that night. I arrived with not enough juice left to make it back home so finding a charger available was a big relief.
I was there in my Leaf, but didn't charge - a friend had a VIP parking pass so we used that. It was a bit close but it was not an issue for us. We live in Tujunga, picked up a friend in Burbank, and took freeways all the way. Likely close to 80 miles since we took the long way home, 10 to the 5 - missed the 110 North route. Glad to here you got to charge though, if it hadn't been for the VIP parking, I would have sought those spaces out.

It was a great show, even if the mike for Roger didn't work quite right at first.

Valdemar said:
I was there, too. We parked at La Cienega/Jefferson and took the Expo Line in. It's a good option for getting in to town as they have a big parking structure there with all free parking.

Was browsing plugshare and noticed a new blink fast charger listed in Los Angeles, any have any more info on it yet?

-Matt

Linear City Development LLC - Mateo Street
662 Mateo Street
Los Angeles, CA 90021
1 Fast charger - off network
10 level 2 chargers - available

Back