MIL: Dealer says "they've increased the range to 102 miles"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this over at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=304180#p304180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Ok, not a dealer, but even worse (IMHO). I saw this last night on Bloomberg TV: a Nissan Europe exec stated that the Leaf's range "now is up to 200 kilometers". :roll: That's 124 miles!

Skip to ~2:20 of http://www.bloomberg.com/video/nissan-unveils-electric-car-to-contest-le-mans-qxBH_DeARC2QESYmU4OdeQ.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see/hear for yourself.

Sigh... I'll bet that 124 miles is on some inflated test cycle. If Nissan really thinks the Leaf is a "100 mile" car, thinking it's a "124 mile" car is even worse. Let's make that exec try to drive a Leaf 124 miles on a single charge on a highway. :lol:

Nissan, are you listening? Because Motor Trend is talking:

The Leaf's typical range and recharge time is 73 miles and 7 hours via its 3.3-kW charger. For the Ford Focus EV, the numbers are 76 miles and about 3.5 hours with its faster 6.6-kW charger. As mentioned, the Fit EV goes 82 miles on a 3-hour charge (same charging rate as the Ford), but the RAV4 can easily pass 100 miles, its 10-kW charger requiring 6 hours. That charge time reflects the RAV's relatively giant battery size, which, at 41.8 kW-hrs of usable capacity, is actually larger than that of the base Model S. EPA-certified numbers aren't available yet, but with the battery driven to its normal depth of discharge (35 kW-hrs), range should be 92 miles. Get greedy, and its extended range mode will take you to 113 miles, but judging from my drive, even a lot more than that looks easily possible if you're careful. And, wow, are those extra miles profound, psychologically. (Emphasis added).

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1211_2013_honda_fit_2012_toyota_rav4_ev_comparison/#ixzz2Y0LTjHB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When my lease is up in June of 2014, I will be looking for a car with more than 73 miles of range at freeway speeds. The RAV4 may well be my choice.

BlueSL said:
The Leaf's typical range and recharge time is 73 miles and 7 hours via its 3.3-kW charger. For the Ford Focus EV, the numbers are 76 miles and about 3.5 hours with its faster 6.6-kW charger.
Your information is outdated. The 2013 LEAF (except for the base S model without the Charge Package) matches the Ford Focus on these specs.

BlueSL said:
That charge time reflects the RAV's relatively giant battery size, which, at 41.8 kW-hrs of usable capacity, is actually larger than that of the base Model S.
Really? I'm no expert on the Tesla, but I know they withdrew the smallest battery. Are you saying that no more than 2/3 of the 60 kWh Tesla battery is usable? Or are you using outdated information again?

Ray

BlueSL said:
73 miles at freeway speeds. Therein lies the problem.
I will be doing a trip tomorrow that is 36.2 mile each way which is 72.4 miles, but close enough to what you claim is the effective range. I will be doing the run at highway speeds. The speed limit here is 65MPH and I rarely go under that and might get to 70 if I neglect to turn on the cruise control. I plan on leaving with a 100% charge in my 2013 SV which has been absorbing the high heat typically found here in N FLA in June/July. I have one ace in the hole and that is a nissan dealership with an L2 charger is about 14 miles from home, so if I feel the need I can "juice up" in order to cure any range anxiety.
If all goes well and I am able to complete my journey I will post some of the basic details here.

^^^
If I were you, I'd keep your speed an indicate 60 mph or below, esp. if you need to run the AC. Otherwise, it might be too close for comfort.

cwerdna said:
^^^
If I were you, I'd keep your speed an indicate 60 mph or below, esp. if you need to run the AC. Otherwise, it might be too close for comfort.
AC is a must and traveling at such a speed is almost dangerous on an open interstate highway here in my little part of the world, I edited my message to note the L2 station I can use if things get too tight. I could also use some surface streets and only add about 1/2 to the trip but it does add 15 minutes or so to the trip in each direction.

update, the car just finished charging and is at 100% showing a range of 104 on the GOM. I usually use between 4.3 kwh at freeway speeds, I think I'll be ok

I made the trip and used the all the range that the LEAF had in it.
I made it home with 1 bar remaining and a very low battery warning and 0 miles of range showing on the GOM. I probably could have gotten another 10-20 miles of range if I used the route that wasn't 95% freeway.

my conclusion is that the effective range of the LEAF at highway speeds (65-70 mph) is not very much more than 75-80 miles.
YMMV

apvbguy said:
I made it home with 1 bar remaining and a very low battery warning and 0 miles of range showing on the GOM. I probably could have gotten another 10-20 miles of range if I used the route that wasn't 95% freeway.

my conclusion is that the effective range of the LEAF at highway speeds (65-70 mph) is not very much more than 75-80 miles.
YMMV

Please check out the range chart link in my signature line.

TonyWilliams said:
apvbguy said:

YMMV

Please check out the range chart link in my signature line.
I did and the miles driven match what you predicted the car would get.
however the car reported that I was running at 4.2 kwh.

while the car performed well I am concerned that over time my range will diminish and this trip couldn't be accomplished.

apvbguy, thanks for proving the point.

73 is as good a freeway speed range number as any, and the 100 freeway mile range I'd like in my next bev will not be coming from any current model Leaf.

I get about 90 miles with mine, air conditioning and radio on. I use 20 miles as my reserve so my actual caculated range is 70 miles. Typical drive is a mix of city and freeway 70+ mph. High speed and rapid starts eat range considerably. I have a tendency to show other motorist that an electric car can out perform their engine powered vehicle. My experience is the car's computer mimics actual miles traveled, I would say my actual driving exceeds the initial computed estimates by about 10%. I try to anticipate traffic lights to avail the max regeneration possible, got to watch the car in back. I do use the B mode when possible. You become an engineer managing energy consumption. I don't watch the range meter with intense interest anymore now that I have more experience with the car. It is a fun vehicle.

Back