Modified EVSE Charging Past 80%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrink

I have the EVSE level 2 upgrade and absolutely love it. So much faster than trickle...

However, I'm having one issue. I always charge to 80% and I do get the Carwings notification that charging stopped at 80% or 10 bars each evening. However, when I get to the car in the morning, there are 11 bars - as if some trickle is getting through, although I'm not sure that's actually happening.

I was told it might be the SOC computer or charge programming? I'm not sure what that means to be honest, and I know this was not happening with a trickle charge.

In case it's helpful, I'm using a 220 outlet in my garage with an L14-50 plug that is wired to two 50 amp breakers. I was told that would be fine and that the EVSE has its own fuse.

We have the climate control set to go off at 7:10 am every morning and am in the car by 7:15-7:20 when I notice the extra bar. In case heat is an issue, we had a record hot August here in Phoenix. I can't remember the last day with a high under a 100 - and for those that don't know, it doesn't cool off much at night.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

If its any help, when I have my Air conditioning timer set, Monday and Wednesday, and Friday, the car turns on the A/C and it runs for the full 30 minutes. When I get in, the 80% charge at 10 bars, is 11 by the time I take off for the clinic....and I LOVE THAT !! This is on my AeroVironment home charge dock. Same thing can happen with the ESVE upgraded charge dock, and I have one of those. Those upgraded ESVE have made a HUGE difference in my ability to use my car. I can charge at home, AND the clinic. Its Great.

Great. Thanks, guys! Makes sense now.

I have to agree. I LOVE the upgraded EVSE. I got an orphan over a month ago was only trickle charging the first few weeks. We were actually getting by fine, but the upgraded EVSE makes the car so much more useful. We can now run a few more extra, unexpected errands after work and on weekends without worry. We also plugged into our friend's dryer outlet this past weekend during a visit.

It was quite nice to be able to do that!

...and just to confirm. It's Saturday and we don't have the Climate Control scheduled to turn on automatically and the charge remains at 80%.

Thanks again for the feedback, folks!

Back