My 2 new LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key5000

Hello all,

I just purchased 2 new Nissan Leaf within a month:

1- Purchsed 1st SV +QC on July 4th for $27200 (out the door price) with $2000 down and $350/month for 72 mos @ 0%. Will receive $2500 from California Clean Air rebate and $7500 federal tax credit. So, the price of the car after rebate is only $17200. With my monthly gas cost me $250 / month = $3000/year = $18000 / 6 years.
Base on above information, I got the car for FREE after 6 years of the gas payment (if I drive my 2009 gas car) :lol: . FREE 120v charge from work or quick charge from Nissan dealership (2 miles from my house or on the way home from works)
With that calculation, I bought my second Leaf after 2 weeks of owning the first Leaf

2 - Purchsed second Leaf S+QC on July 15 for only $23600 (out the door price) with $2000 down and $300/month for 72 mos @ 0%. Will receive $2500 from California Clean Air rebate and $7500 federal tax credit. So, the price of the car after rebate is only $13600. With my monthly gas cost me $200 / month = $2400/year = $14400 / 6 years.
Base on above information, I got the car for FREE after 5.5 years of the gas payment (if I drive my 2009 gas car) :lol: . FREE quick charge from Nissan dealership (2 miles from my house)

What do you think?
- Am I getting good deal on the Leaf?
- is my calculation looks right?

I just finish modified my EVSE to use both 110V (level 1) & 240V (level 2) by myself and it's working good. I Also did ran new 240V 40A plug (by myself) .

Unless the dealer has made a written promise the DC fast charging will be free for you or customers of that dealer, then I wouldn't count on it staying that way or necessarily being reliable or w/o waits.

Congrats on joining the EV world of wonder - saving money, contributing to a cleaner future, reducing oil dependence, and undoubtedly enjoying the ride at the same time!

Oh, I forgot to say I liked that the you "doubled down" for "double the pleasure" :)

Welcome, and congrats. Welcome to EVs. Glad you're enjoying it. Nice prices, and 0% too is a pretty good combo. You obviously have great credit. You will have to have a $15k Federal tax obligation for 2015 to realize both tax credits, so plan accordingly if you need to.

cwerdna,

Here in Orange/Los Angeles county, I can use Quick Charge or L2 charge at any Nissan dealer for FREE. There is no need to swipe the card.

Just find out from place that I works, I can use L2 charge for FREE too.

key5000 said:
cwerdna,

Here in Orange/Los Angeles county, I can use Quick Charge or L2 charge at any Nissan dealer for FREE. There is no need to swipe the card.
Whoops, I forgot about Nissan NCTC, as well. All that started WAY after I leased my original Leaf and after the in-service date of the '13 Leaf I just bought. But NCTC has a limited time of validity and re: the above, that's definitely not true of Nissan dealers here in Nor Cal. They all pretty much have gone to NRG eVgo and thus no longer free (except for the free 30 minute sessions provided via NCTC).

Congrats! As for your calculations I used similar logic back in 2011. It all looked good on paper, but in real life in the race of gas savings vs. depreciation the later won, not to mention battery issues. Having said that, the situation is different in 2015, the cost of entry is much lower and the battery is said to be improved. So it may work out just as you think or at least not much worse.

Depreciation is more of a concern for those who keep their cars for short periods and trade in on a new model. If you keep it 6 plus years as your daily commuter, most cars would have lost most their value anyway. If you replace your car every 2-3 years, yes, the high depreciation rate will be a killer.

The big question which no one has an answer to yet since no one has a 6 year old Leaf is will the battery still be viable for your needs that far down the road. Thus far, there is data suggesting it could be a significant problem unless you don't need more than half the current range. If you have convenient/free/cheap charging at both work and home and your commute isn't too bad, then you may well have a super sweet deal. Also, hopefully the newer batteries will do better than the 2011s. Perhaps by then there will be a decent market for replacement batteries so these cars can keep rolling for a long time. (I know, wishful thinking.)

I want to get a 2nd EV, but I'm thinking closest I will get in near term is to add a plug-in hybrid. Though if the next gen Leaf does 150 miles so Nissan can continue to be a leader now that the rest of the market is producing competitive cars, then I could go for one of those and skip the plug-in hybrid.

Anyway, good luck! I think you have a good plan if you keep them long term.

Back