New 2019 SL+ Owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
Sure hope the Clipper Creek you ordered isn't going to pull 27.5A from the 30A circuit, as you can't safely do full rate charging on a 30A circuit.

I think he should be OK with that 30A circuit, based on the ClipperCreek models available.
The ClipperCreek models I see with a NEMA 14-30 plug are the LCS-25P (20A draw) and LCS-30P (24A draw), both designed for the 30A circuit. I'm not surprised to see that ClipperCreek is smart enough to have their designs meet the code requirements.

alozzy said:
Sure hope the Clipper Creek you ordered isn't going to pull 27.5A from the 30A circuit, as you can't safely do full rate charging on a 30A circuit.

Haven't used Clipper Creek myself, but most other L2 EVSE I've installed had the ability to "set" the amps limit reported to the EV, so in theory, shouldn't the poster be able to set it to the "safe" limit of the wire?

Most if not all Clipper Creek charging stations have one fixed current draw. They even name them based on the circuit current limit for that station (not the actual draw of the station). That's to prevent people from ordering a charging station rated for the breaker's limit, instead of the 80% of it that is required. So if you order, for example, an HCS-30, you get a 24 amp EVSE, not a 30 amp one.

LeftieBiker said:
Most if not all Clipper Creek charging stations have one fixed current draw. They even name them based on the circuit current limit for that station (not the actual draw of the station). That's to prevent people from ordering a charging station rated for the breaker's limit, instead of the 80% of it that is required. So if you order, for example, an HCS-30, you get a 24 amp EVSE, not a 30 amp one.

Yep.

It's not a bad idea but I cannot think of any other EVSE company that does the same so it is a source of confusion for newbs.

Clipper Creek plug in units are sized to not exceed the continuous current rating of the receptacle that matches the plug. Therefore, one with a 14-30 plug will not exceed 24 amperes (80% of 30A receptacle rating). I have a Clipper Creek HCS-50P with 14-50 plug at my workshop garage that has been extremely reliable (it allows up to 40 amperes so my 2019 SL Plus can charge at its maximum rate even at the nominal 208 volts at my garage). The portable Nissan unit that comes with the SL Plus will not allow charging at 208 volts (which is a common voltage in commercial/industrial installations).

Back