New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I logged into my Nissan account today and saw that I have a VIN and can enable CarWings. No email notification about it, I just checked.

I'm not willing to pay for it this year though...and I thought the tax credit specified that the vehicle must be put into service in the year which the credit is claimed. I'm not interested in gaming the system there.

But I am excited that I have a VIN number and still have a week of January 9 delivery!!

Listless, you may receive your car this year. Nissan has in the past delivered cars early to make their numbers. One would think that they would like to build up the number of sales of Leafs in 2011. As added incentive, their employees bonuses are often predicated on annual sales.

I followed mitch672's example and took the car for a nice long test drive. I took it home to test out my EVSE (I got the Schneider from Home Depot -- used the Amex Membership Rewards gift card promo for 20% off the usual redemption amount). Everything worked out nicely.

Some impressions:

- The drive: I wanted to get a good feel for D vs. ECO mode. I'm surprised at the car's acceleration in D mode. While it certainly won't be confused with a high-end sports car, the LEAF can handle itself nicely. No issues merging onto the highway, and no need to floor the accelerator. I found driving in D mode more comfortable, but I'm sure that with some practice, I'll figure out how to give my passengers a smoother ride in ECO mode. The main issue is that taking my foot off the accelerator (is it still ok to call it the "gas pedal"?) in ECO mode causes the vehicle to lurch a bit abruptly.

- The noise: The car is simply not as quiet as I expected. Sure, there's no engine noise. But there's quite a bit of road noise on the highway. I could hear the other cars more, the road, and the wind. It was a particularly windy day, which may have added to the impression. At low speed, though, the car is eerily silent. I had to strain to hear the VSP when backing up, and couldn't hear it at all driving forward.

- The audio system: I paired my iPhone. It was simple, and worked like a charm. I listened to music via Bluetooth, and the quality was fine. The speakers aren't the greatest, and sounded a bit tinny. But I was not expecting a high-end audio system on board. Phone calls were fine as well. Siri works well, other than it has to be activated from the phone itself, and not the steering wheel. Here's hoping for a firmware update that fixes that, sometime down the road.

- The general comfort: The car is more comfortable than most cars of the same size. The steering wheel heater is a nice touch. I'm 6'4, and could fit somewhat comfortably in the driver's seat and the back seat.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience. Kudos to Clay Nissan of Norwood for encouraging us to take our time with the car, and for the friendly and relaxed attitude. I'm looking forward to getting my car in January.

charge said:
Hi All. Add another Leaf in CT. My delivery date is week of Jan. 31 2012.

Awesome, more NE LEAFs. Welcome "charge". I'm hoping my delivery date of "week of Jan 20th" gets updated soon to a more solid date.

I received my Leaf on Sunday 12/18 following an out-of-state order and shipment. The car is great though I have only driven it 140 miles and haven't been on the highway yet.

I'm located on the South Shore of Boston, so honk if you see me (hopefully not on the side of the road)!

BL

blueline said:
I received my Leaf on Sunday 12/18 following an out-of-state order and shipment. The car is great though I have only driven it 140 miles and haven't been on the highway yet.

I'm located on the South Shore of Boston, so honk if you see me (hopefully not on the side of the road)!

BL

Congrats BL!
How was your dealership experience? I ordered from Marlboro Nissan. Got my VIN number a couple of days ago so I can update Carwings.
Scheduled to see what they will give me for my trade-in next Tuesday.

I saw an Red LEAF on Route 128 today (12/29/12, around 10:15 am ET), near exit 20 (Newton / Wellesley). I slowed down to let it pass me. It had Massachusetts plates.

Was that you, blueline?

Anyway, it looked very nice. This was my first time seeing this color. I'm glad it's the color I ordered.

Visiting family in pittsfield MA and swung
By Nissan dealer
Saw charger ready to go !

Note a minivan ICE is parked in it's spot
There is no EV parking only sign

Great to see infrastructure getting out there

Not sure when you stopped by the dealer in Pittsfield but they do have a red demo LEAF that I borrowed Friday afternoon to try on the Pike (up to 83 mph) and test my home charger (A-OK). I understand, the charger in front is usually switched off at the breaker at the current time, but they have said we can use it when needed once we get our car.

I'll be taking delivery of the first LEAF from that Pittsfield dealer late this week or early next week.

I've also been scoping out charging options which we will need if we ever want to leave the county, needing a slightly over 100 miles real-world round-trip with 2-3 hours of charge at the destination to get back home comfortably.

There is a Chargepoint charger in downtown Albany, NY that could provide the 2-3 hours of level 2 charge that I think I'd need to get back home, but all highway driving may still be a stretch (in winter especially) and all other charging options there are too remote to comfortably spend a few hours unless we want to park the car and walk quite a bit. We need them at proper shopping/dining areas where spending 2-3 hours plus is more of our family norm (Target stores, malls, movies).

Holyoke MA has plans for multiple charging stations at the Ingleside mall and Northampton, MA in the downtown garage (both with grant money approved last year), both of which would be perfect for our family needs and would make trips there quite easy for our soon-to-be Berkshire-based LEAF.

I also heard rumors that Pittsfield MA is looking into charging station(s) also for the downtown 2-level garage, so if anyone could utilize that type of resource (residents of the Pioneer valley or Capital District of NY), now may be a good time for a letter to the city of Pittsfield, MA. I'm working on several letters this week myself to send as soon as I get the car. I figure actually owning the car puts me in a better place to advocate for myself and others.

I have a concern on the delivery of Leaf, on online leaf account we were told week of 12/26 but no vin # then week of 1/3 no vin then week of 1/6 no vin so my wife chatted on here account and was told that car was in port and they gave her the vin number(16933) the following day delivery changed to 1/10 then a day later changed to 1/12 today changed to 1/17, if its in port why all the changes?? any one have answers??

My delivery date changed from week of 1/9 to week of 1/13. Seems like different days of the same week to me, but still not able to activate carwings from my dashboard.

I've been calling around and it seems that many of the Nissan dealerships in the area don't even have charging stations installed yet. The dealership I am purchasing from has two available, but others are still "working on it"

Wish I had more insight into the "delivery date" changes, but mine changed from 1/9 to 1/12 which seemed to correspond to the 3 days that the ship's schedule (that I assume mine was on) was delayed (see "Tracking Ships" topic.)

My delivery date has been "week of Jan 12th" for quite some time and my dealer received the invoice for the car on Monday afternoon which they say means it will show up at any moment. But they know very little about what I see online. I had my VIN and Carwings a while ago and I'm just waiting to enter my info.

Also -- for soon-to-be New England LEAF owners, I'd like to promote the use of http://www.plugshare.com if you already have your home charger installed and are willing to share. Some of us in New England (especially those that are less-than-urban) are definitely running a bit ahead of any charging infrastructure buildout and could use the support of other early-adopters in New England while advocating for more public infrastructure.

I am sharing my Level 2 charger in Lee, MA and could be quite useful to a LEAF owner from the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts or Columbia County in NY to add a bit of kwh to get home after a visit to the Berkshires, walk half a mile downtown for a meal and shopping and/or 9 holes of golf while your car charges. Possibly even a full charge if staying overnight at a local B&B or motel. Not as convenient as a spot downtown or at the outlet mall, but workable if the desire is there.

My delivery date keeps moving out. Since the 9th came and went it has changed four times from the 9th to the 13th to the 17th and now it says the 19th. It seems for every day that passes the delivery date get pushed out two more.

NOGASHOLE said:
My delivery date changed from week of 1/9 to week of 1/13. Seems like different days of the same week to me, but still not able to activate carwings from my dashboard.

I've been calling around and it seems that many of the Nissan dealerships in the area don't even have charging stations installed yet. The dealership I am purchasing from has two available, but others are still "working on it"
Which dealership did you order from? Mine is Marlboro Nissan.

listless said:
Not sure when you stopped by the dealer in Pittsfield but they do have a red demo LEAF that I borrowed Friday afternoon to try on the Pike (up to 83 mph) and test my home charger (A-OK). I understand, the charger in front is usually switched off at the breaker at the current time, but they have said we can use it when needed once we get our car.

I'll be taking delivery of the first LEAF from that Pittsfield dealer late this week or early next week.

I've also been scoping out charging options which we will need if we ever want to leave the county, needing a slightly over 100 miles real-world round-trip with 2-3 hours of charge at the destination to get back home comfortably.

There is a Chargepoint charger in downtown Albany, NY that could provide the 2-3 hours of level 2 charge that I think I'd need to get back home, but all highway driving may still be a stretch (in winter especially) and all other charging options there are too remote to comfortably spend a few hours unless we want to park the car and walk quite a bit. We need them at proper shopping/dining areas where spending 2-3 hours plus is more of our family norm (Target stores, malls, movies).

Holyoke MA has plans for multiple charging stations at the Ingleside mall and Northampton, MA in the downtown garage (both with grant money approved last year), both of which would be perfect for our family needs and would make trips there quite easy for our soon-to-be Berkshire-based LEAF.

I also heard rumors that Pittsfield MA is looking into charging station(s) also for the downtown 2-level garage, so if anyone could utilize that type of resource (residents of the Pioneer valley or Capital District of NY), now may be a good time for a letter to the city of Pittsfield, MA. I'm working on several letters this week myself to send as soon as I get the car. I figure actually owning the car puts me in a better place to advocate for myself and others.

Congrats on the new car!!
I was there Sunday they were closed so I was trolling around looking for leaf(s)
There were two chargers on the parking lot one at the ford dealership and one behind the red Leaf in front of the Nissan dealership
Re infrastructure
Great about the local charging going in
Yea on the drive From Maine to MA I broke it up in 80 mile increments
Would need fast charger at 2 possibly three sites to do the 240 one way!!s

Good luck

essaunders said:
for what it's worth, my "week of Jan 20" just changed to "week of Jan 24"
My date just changed back to Jan 20 week. Plus, I got a "expected delivery" email

Erik, the excitement of driving a part of automotive history is almost here! Your Nissan LEAF™ is scheduled to arrive at your local dealer soon. Once you take delivery of the vehicle, your initial $99 reservation fee will be refunded. If you have any further questions about the delivery process, just contact your Nissan Dealer.

anyone have a correlation for delivery delay after this email?

Back