New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car is in. I will probably pick it up Friday. I told the dealer to "hold the (un-ordered) wheel locks and nitrogen".

I still have to figure out what to do with my 2000 Subaru. Trade, sell, or donate

Of course this all assumes I don't have a change if heart and orphan this leaf so I can have proper look at a plug-in-prius in April or so.

essaunders said:
My car is in. I will probably pick it up Friday. I told the dealer to "hold the (un-ordered) wheel locks and nitrogen".

I still have to figure out what to do with my 2000 Subaru. Trade, sell, or donate

Of course this all assumes I don't have a change if heart and orphan this leaf so I can have proper look at a plug-in-prius in April or so.

Congrats essaunders!

Tell me it ain't so - waiting all this time and then maybe changing your mind?

ghabel said:
I just signed up for a chargepoint card http://www.mychargepoint.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . There are about 50 chargepoint locations in MA. Most offer free charging (except for Clark Universite in Worcester - they want $3.50 per hour!!!). 43 are in Boston, 3 in Worcester, then others scattered about. Free to join. If you want the keyring swipe card they are $4.50 each. I ordered 2. I registered without a balance so I can only use the free ones.
I visited a chargepoint station in Hopkington, MA just off of 495. Looks like it is installed but not running yet. This is a 240v station as most are.
I also registered my home charging station on http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I see many Nissan dealerships registered on plugshare.

I checked out the two chargepoint stations at Clark U and the one at National Grid last week. Both were listed as "free" on the chargepoint website at the time, but now I see the prices have been updated for the Clark units. $3.50 per hour is a pretty outrageous price for Level 2 charge. My math yields that you would only draw about $0.60 (240V x 16A x 1 hr x ~$0.15/kwh) worth of electricity in an hour. It seems a little misleading that they show MC/Visa/AmEx symbols on the pedestal, but there's no place to actually pay by credit card without a proximity card.

Well nothing like jumping in with both feet!
This will force you to get to know what
It can and cannot do
Best of luck!!

Still no Maine leafs so
I drove to portsmouth Nissan NH Monday
The temps as you all know were nippy
1 degree Sunday and 0 degrees Monday
I figured this would be the worst conditions
They had a nice red leaf
Great test drive
Notes range was 67 miles fully charged on those
Temps but performed fine
I wanted to leave the highlander there and drive it
Home

Very knowledgeable salesman

listless said:
We just picked up our LEAF in Western Massachusetts Saturday. And our ICE second car (van) broke down on the way home from the dealership so we are unwittingly a one-car LEAF family temporarily...I wouldn't recommend it in our area at this point.

Additionally, Sunday didn't crack 10 degrees and this morning was a negative 6 degree commute. Not so good for our range anxiety, but I have to assume it can only get better...it doesn't get THIS cold too often.

Feeling more like a hardcore EV-supporter early adopter than I expected. And a bit crazier for jumping in. It'll subside...I hope.

Hey tmac. Mitch672 may be leaving an orphan near Boston which you could buy...

mitch672 said:
My delivery date has been updated at least six times now, started with week of "week of January 9th", it's now up to "week of January 24th".

Does not matter to me, as I've decided this Leaf is not for me, going to stick with my 2010 Prius model 5 until larger capacity packs are availble, 2013/2014 240 mile Tesla Model S could work.. I no longer feel the need to be an early adopter on this, I have enough arrows in my back already. I'd actually be downgrading to sell/trade in my Prius for a 70 highway mile range Leaf.

If anyone is interested, its a Red Cayenne SL, only options are the floor mats and wheel locks, the dealer is Clay Nissan in Norwood, MA if you want to try and make a deal. You'll probably have to wait until I refuse it (whenever it finally shows up)

EDIT: I just looked at the map. MFIR. :oops: Norwood is southwest of Boston just outside of the 128/I93 highway. Maybe 10 miles south of Boston.

I would probably do it but finances are not ready for it yet. :)

We are now on our 5th day of proud LEAF Massachusetts ownership and I feel compelled to post a few thoughts.

First off -- The LEAF is a pleasure to drive it's hard to find anything at all to complain about there. The car is heavy enough so the snow hasn't been much of an issue so far (unlike the lighter Nissan cube that we traded in) -- so we don't think snow tires will actually be required at this point.

Second -- As a data geek, I love Carwings. VERY useful data that allows you try the same route with different driving strategies and see the actual consumption results for that trip. I am having a
problem with odd missing trips though -- hopefully I can get that resolved shortly.

Yesterday we tried to run the entire battery out for the first time. Luckily Carwings has already filled in completely for yesterday (all the trips) and I was able to see how ECO mode (used for some of the trips) is much better, especially on the regenerative braking rates.

I know there is a 24 kWh battery in the LEAF but from 100% charge to VERY LOW BATTERY WARNING, zero bars and 3 miles left (I chickened out and didn't take it to the turtle) Carwings reported only 17.9 kWh consumed (17.4 traction motor - 4.2 regen + 4.7 accessories) which I find odd. Outside temperature was in the 30s (warmer than prior days) but that seems like quite a hit on full battery capacity if Carwings is accurate (which these stats makes me doubt).

So ultimately we only got 52.7 miles in our first attempt to run the full battery out -- I know we used 4.7 kWh on accessories (we didn't skimp too much on heat/defog) but with the 2.9 miles/mWh calculated that would have given us another prospective 13.6 miles with NO accessory use for a total of 66 miles. I guess if you look at it that way, 66 mile range sounds somewhat respectable given hills (we do have hills) and cold. We'll try some full battery drain in all ECO mode soon and see what it looks like.

There is some real-world rural winter New England data for you. Now if we could just get a 70 degree day to use as a comparison...I guess that will happen in a few months.

listless said:
snip snip

There is some real-world rural winter New England data for you. Now if we could just get a 70 degree day to use as a comparison...I guess that will happen in a few months.

Being New England we could see 70 degrees next week. "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute." HAHAHA Though being January in New England that is probably unlikely. :lol:

Congrats on your new LEAF! Wish I had mine... oh well... in time. All good things come to those who patiently wait. Right?

Good news. Dealer called me today. I am picking it on Thursday after work!!!

I'm not expecting to make it to bed before 11 pm Thursday night due to the urge to figure EVERYTHING OUT on the car.

Thank you to those posting their recent experiences with mileage and charging. I will join shortly.

Sorry kind of a late notice. We picked up our 2012 Nissan Leaf 1/10/12 at County Line Nissan, Middlebury,CT.
It may be the first one sold in CT.

It is all it is cracked up to be and more. The Leaf is quicker than I thought it would be and the heated steering wheel is nice and heated all the way around. Passengers like the rear heated seats too.
The car performed well in single digits although range does suffer.
Went on a longish trip last week, to school than another town for a haircut, all with no heat.
Didn't turn on the heat until close to home and knew I would make it.
About 65 miles total with 10 left; there was a lot of highway driving going too fast.
Now it is tough to get it away from my wife, she loves it.
Many of my friends who got a drive were very impressed. "Is it on", you hear a lot. Then you hear "slow down". My Jetta TDI sport wagon sat unused for 4 days while the Leaf was used as much as possible.
2010 JSW TDI DSG Silver
2012 Nissan Leaf SV Glacial Pearl

listless said:
We are now on our 5th day of proud LEAF Massachusetts ownership and I feel compelled to post a few thoughts.
<snip>
I know there is a 24 kWh battery in the LEAF but from 100% charge to VERY LOW BATTERY WARNING, zero bars and 3 miles left (I chickened out and didn't take it to the turtle) Carwings reported only 17.9 kWh consumed (17.4 traction motor - 4.2 regen + 4.7 accessories) which I find odd. Outside temperature was in the 30s (warmer than prior days) but that seems like quite a hit on full battery capacity if Carwings is accurate (which these stats makes me doubt).

So ultimately we only got 52.7 miles in our first attempt to run the full battery out -- I know we used 4.7 kWh on accessories (we didn't skimp too much on heat/defog) but with the 2.9 miles/mWh calculated that would have given us another prospective 13.6 miles with NO accessory use for a total of 66 miles. I guess if you look at it that way, 66 mile range sounds somewhat respectable given hills (we do have hills) and cold. We'll try some full battery drain in all ECO mode soon and see what it looks like.

Usable capacity of the battery is 21 kWH @ 70 deg. F; Nissan prevents you from draining it all the way, to improve longevity. Your numbers are in line with what other people are reporting in cold conditions.

Just got home an hour ago after picking up "Maple".
Very kewl ride home.
I'll post more about my experience soon.

Congrats ghabel!

Have fun. After a week of LEAFing, sitting at the wheel of any other car seems so retro.

The technology is really something.

Congratulations, ghabel and listless.

I'm still waiting for mine. My delivery date has once again been pushed back. The dashboard now reads "week of January 27". Anyone else showing the same delay?

maevguy said:
Congratulations, ghabel and listless.

I'm still waiting for mine. My delivery date has once again been pushed back. The dashboard now reads "week of January 27". Anyone else showing the same delay?

Yes, mine keeps getting pushed back, now reads "week of January 26th", doesn't matter to me though, as I have decided to orphan it, I'm going to wait to see how the Tesla Model S works out for people. I need a 1 car solution, and the Leaf is just not going to work out.

I'll pick my leaf in a few hours. 21 months from my reservation! Anyone got a link to a list of thus to do/ watch for at delivery? I'm looking for a missing glove box light. How about dealer set table settings? Any of those to do?

Mitch,

Are you thinking about a Tesla S? I would imagine you would go with the the biggest battery option since it would be your only car.

Train said:
Mitch,

Are you thinking about a Tesla S? I would imagine you would go with the the biggest battery option since it would be your only car.

Yes, however I'm in no rush, and I'm certainly not about to drop $90K+ for a 300 mile signature version. I'll see how they work out, 2013 or 2014 is fine with me. As I've said before, my back is full of scars from the "early adopter arrows". I can wait this out. :)

We should start thinking about a get together for sometime in the spring. Who is interested?

maevguy said:

My delivery date just got pushed back to week of January 26th. It had been at the week of the 24th for several days from the original date of January 9th.

Back