New owner from Norfolk VA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrowncods

Hi all! Just purchased a 2014 Cayenne Red SL this afternoon from Hall Nissan in Virginia Beach. Really great experience. I used the VPP program and the June incentives with financing as detailed on the Nissan website.

I really like this car! It feels solid, and the SL has some nice features.

I am sure I will have lots of questions for the "experts" on here in the future. For instance, I am still researching EVSE's so any hints would be great.

Looking under the hood I found it interesting that there was a radiator and cooling fans. It pretty much looked like a traditional "engine" but no exhaust. What is under the the big square aluminum housing?

I really look forward to joining the community!

Brad

bbrowncods said:
Hi all! Just purchased a 2014 Cayenne Red SL this afternoon from Hall Nissan in Virginia Beach. Really great experience. I used the VPP program and the June incentives with financing as detailed on the Nissan website.

I really like this car! It feels solid, and the SL has some nice features.

I am sure I will have lots of questions for the "experts" on here in the future. For instance, I am still researching EVSE's so any hints would be great.

Looking under the hood I found it interesting that there was a radiator and cooling fans. It pretty much looked like a traditional "engine" but no exhaust. What is under the the big square aluminum housing?

I really look forward to joining the community!

Brad

Try this... for Cheap EVSE conversion
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I too am a new owner of a 2014 cayenne red SL. I think it is a great car so far. Have about 4000 on her so far. The radiator is part of the charger cooling system. It runs when needed. Also fans are for ac operation. I live in central North Carolina. I have gotten close to 100 miles till low battery warning. Found that if you drive conservatively long mileage ranges are possible. As flat as the Norfolk area is you should be able to get great mileage. Have fun with your new car. Keep us all posted with your thoughts and experiences. Regards

bbrowncods said:
I am still researching EVSE's so any hints would be great.

I suggest getting the factory included EVSE upgraded. See http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you purchase that all you need is a 240 volt outlet and thats a heck of a lot cheaper than the commercial EVSEs.

The other nice thing about having a converted unit is being able to use adapters so that you can charge from virtually any outlet. I have friends that rent and when I go to visit I just plug into their dryer outlets using an adapter. It works great for me. Also it was easier to talk my clients into installing an outlet than installing an expensive EVSE.

The only negative to this setup is having to drag out the cord every time you plug in (and putting it back). For the amount of money I saved (vs buying permanent EVSEs) this slight hassle isn't worth complaining about. If I had installed commercially available EVSEs at each location I commonly charge at I would have already spent 4,000+ dollars not including electricians.

Thanks for the replys. I have been using the trickle charge and have been keeping up.

What did you do to charge up during the conversion of your EVSE?

bbrowncods said:

I purchased a 2nd EVSE. I wanted to have two of them just in case. Optionally they offer a service "Advance replacement option". See their FAQ for more info.

Yeah I dont really see the reason for the $75 fee other thank to just stick it to us. Oh well..

Travis said:
bbrowncods said:

I purchased a 2nd EVSE. I wanted to have two of them just in case. Optionally they offer a service "Advance replacement option". See their FAQ for more info.

kieranmullen said:
Yeah I dont really see the reason for the $75 fee other thank to just stick it to us. Oh well..

Well you have to remember they are providing a service. They have to have extra units on hand to provide advanced replacement, and all the trouble of keeping track of who has what. I could see that easily being worth the 75 extra dollars.

If you get that high power version you'll be rocking. You have the faster charger than I do. I have a 2012 with a 3.3kw charger so I purchased a used/loaner from them.

The other option is to try to rely on public charging while your having the upgrade done. I considered it however ended up just buying one of their used units.

I am not quite sure why you are talking to me like I am 5. You must remember that leaf owners are a minority, then also a minotiry of them know about the EVSE upgrade and then another minotyr of that get the advanced replacement. So yah... not very many people. Not many spares needed. That being said I paid for it. A Medium flat Rate Box is also cheaper for shipping than what they use as well.

Travis said:
kieranmullen said:

Well you have to remember they are providing a service. They have to have extra units on hand to provide advanced replacement, and all the trouble of keeping track of who has what. I could see that easily being worth the 75 extra dollars.

If you get that high power version you'll be rocking. You have the faster charger than I do. I have a 2012 with a 3.3kw charger so I purchased a used/loaner from them.

The other option is to try to rely on public charging while your having the upgrade done. I considered it however ended up just buying one of their used units.

kieranmullen said:
I am not quite sure why you are talking to me like I am 5.
I'll try to use larger words??? Seriously it wasn't intentional.

kieranmullen said:
You must remember that leaf owners are a minority, then also a minotiry of them know about the EVSE upgrade and then another minotyr of that get the advanced replacement. So yah... not very many people. Not many spares needed.
Actually I believe this is one of the most popular mods out there. He has modded thousands of these units. Not just for leaf owners.

kieranmullen said:
That being said I paid for it. A Medium flat Rate Box is also cheaper for shipping than what they use as well.
This is the reply I got from them on the USPS issue.

"USPS lost 10 of our units this week so we were shipping UPS but our shipping person made a mistake and should not have send your unit UPS ground but should have checked with me first. My apologies. I refunded your entire shipping charge so you will pay no shipping. We send all new cords out signature as they are $1000 to replace and it will not be covered without a signature."

I was upset about the shipping time/signature required. I didn't realize their insurance wasn't good if it wasn't signed for. I'm a happy customer in the end.

I take the USPS comments with a grain of salt.

I don't like them but I use them. A lot. I spend $30k a year in postage.

The slower it is, the more likely it will be damaged or lost.

Priority packages don't get lost on me but they still treat the packages like a brunch of apes.
For basic ground USPS...FedEx and UPS ground with a basic discount is cheaper.

I suggest getting the factory included EVSE upgraded. See http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=produ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ducts_id=2

Once you purchase that all you need is a 240 volt outlet and thats a heck of a lot cheaper than the commercial EVSEs.

Not really. Clipper Creek now has a $400 L-2 EVSE. That is the inexpensive option, along with their higher rate $500 unit.

bbrowncods said:
http://articles.sae.org/11993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding the radiator and cooling fins, yep, but the motor is also liquid cooled.

Besides the AC, if you run the hybrid heater and when it uses the heat-pump portion, you'll notice the fans in the front running yet relatively cool air coming into the "engine" compartment, which is kinda weird. The heat-pump heater is basically AC running in reverse.

You'll also notice the entire PDM stack gets pretty warm after at least an hour of charging. And, when it's charging, you can feel coolant going thru the hoses, accompanied by the pump noise.

LeftieBiker said:
Not really. Clipper Creek now has a $400 L-2 EVSE. That is the inexpensive option, along with their higher rate $500 unit.

That's a great option if you don't want to carry it with you. I would be broke now if I spent $400 per location I charge at.. However that is just me. Being able to use dryer outlets is what makes the car work for me.

If someone truly only needs a home charger I agree that is the best option. I don't think the 5 amp difference between the units really amounts to that much.

Travis said:
That's a great option if you don't want to carry it with you. I would be broke now if I spent $400 per location I charge at.. However that is just me. Being able to use dryer outlets is what makes the car work for me.

If someone truly only needs a home charger I agree that is the best option. I don't think the 5 amp difference between the units really amounts to that much.

That's true. Your situation is unique, so I think you have figured out the best route for multiple locations.

I just need to charge at home for the most part. I like the conversion, but would like to get a 25amp unit of some sort so I can use 6Kw of my 6.6Kw charger and still utilize the 30amp dryer circuit in my garage. Going to the full 6.6 would require a 40amp circuit. But I am not sure the extra .6Kw is worth the cost of adding a new circuit. It would be different if I didn't already have a dryer circuit available and had to add a new circuit anyway.

I haven't found a 25 amp unit that specifies a 30amp circuit yet.

bbrowncods said:
I just need to charge at home for the most part. I like the conversion, but would like to get a 25amp unit of some sort so I can use 6Kw of my 6.6Kw charger and still utilize the 30amp dryer circuit in my garage. Going to the full 6.6 would require a 40amp circuit. But I am not sure the extra .6Kw is worth the cost of adding a new circuit. It would be different if I didn't already have a dryer circuit available and had to add a new circuit anyway.

I haven't found a 25 amp unit that specifies a 30amp circuit yet.

The modified EVSE fits that perfectly. Can utilize the 30 amp dryer outlet and charge at 25 amps.

I'll leave it to others to comment if the commercial units can be turned down or if there is a better unit.

Back