New owner.No level 3 chargers/Any fast portable chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now7grandkids

Just took possession of my new Leaf
Yesterday. Disappointed that there r no
Level 3 charging stations yet in Florida.

I understand becuz I am #1 to get car in
Palm Beach County

Question: is there a quick/fast charge
Portable yet available to carry in car?

There are no consumer grade L3 options at all, portable or not. The fastest portable solution is evseupgrade.com. They upgrade your existing L1 EVSE to do L2.

And, there aren't very many public L2 chargers in South Florida, either. Pretty much you'll only find L2s at the Nissan Dealerships and that's about it.

Stick to a 35 mile radius around your house and you will be fine, 50 miles if you dont mind a bit of adventure... 50 miles will take you into Ft Lauderdale.

Now7grandkids said:
I am sure we will b keeping eyes open 4 portable level 3

If by "portable" you mean "put in the back of your car and carry along with you", I don't think we'll ever see portable L3s. Not sure if you have seen a picture of an L3 charging station, but they are huge.

All the current commercial units require 3 phase 400-480 volt service so it is unlikely you will see a consumer version soon...

Now7grandkids said:
Question: is there a quick/fast charge
Portable yet available to carry in car?

You may be able to buy (eventually) portable 240V 12kw chargers that use the L3 Chademo port, but probably not cheap or particularly light.

Now7grandkids said:
Just took possession of my new Leaf
Yesterday. I understand becuz I am #1 to get car in
Palm Beach County

Where are you in PBC? I'm in the Jupiter area. My delivery date was pushed off from Dec 8th to the 19th, so I'm still waiting. Level 3 chargers are very rare, even in California, where they have had electric vehicles for much longer than FL. You will have to be content with L2 charging for now. Why do you think you need L3? Where do you want to drive to? As others said, the chances of finding a 408 volt outlet to plug an L3 charger into is very slim, but a lot of places might have a 240 VAC dryer outlet or similar to plug an L2 charger into, so your best course is to send your EVSE to http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to have it converted to 240 operation. My dealer just asked me again today for the web address for his other Leaf customers.
There are also a couple public L2 chargers available, in West Palm and Jupiter that I know of so far.

Herm said:
You may be able to buy (eventually) portable 240V 12kw chargers that use the L3 Chademo port, but probably not cheap or particularly light.
Yes, that is possible ... eventually. But the OP needs to understand that this would not provide anything close to a 30 minute quick charge. It might give you about 35 to 40 miles driving distance for an hour's charging time. That would, however, be much faster than the 10 to 15 miles driving distance for an hour's charging time that the LEAF can get today with L2.

Ray

I have been told by Blink that their new DCFC (level 3) charger will work on 208v 3-phase. It takes twice as much amperage as the 440v configuration but it can be set up that way.

I have used 2 different level 3 chargers on my leaf and find that one of them will only charge to around 70%, the other to 80% even when you ask for 100%. Anyone know what is up with that?

Portable L3 already exists.....

297981_10150337565984844_704969843_7975428_282801165_n.jpg

Back