New owners, get your next tires at a nice discount

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondBeLeaf

So as most everyone has learned, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires come nowhere near their advertised treadwear. After 13k miles I have 3/32nds of tread left and was advised by a tire shop that the tires are in need of replacement. I was hoping to get at least 20k on them, but I figured I'd go ahead and reach out to Michelin. I engaged their chat feature on their website and the process was pretty quick. They told me to go to my local authorized Michelin dealer and have them confirm the tires. The process took 2 hours (including mounting) and I made it out with a set of new Michelins for just under $600. I know I probably could've gone with a better tire, but I figure if I only get 15K miles out of these tires then I'd repeat the process. I'm curious how long Michelin will continue to sell me discounted tires although I guess at that point I'll be ready to buy a different brand that will hopefully come closer to 40K-50K. I'm surprised that tire manufacturers haven't decided that electric vehicles don't qualify for their tire warranties. Oh well. Get them replaced now at a decent discount before they decide to change their warranty. I believe the guy at the tire store told me that Michelin was covering 70% of the cost towards a new set of tires.

Oh and I put "New owners" in the title as most new owners probably don't realize that they can call Michelin for warranty claims. This doesn't go through Nissan and the date you purchased your Leaf will be when the warranty date starts.

I bought a new set of the Continental Low Rolling Resistance tires and the efficiency immediately dropped a bit over 10% and has stayed there all summer. They are supposed to last way more miles than the Michelins but I am really disappointed in the mileage- not sure what the ideal trade-off is. Because I am disappointed in them they will probably last forever!

33,000 miles on my OEM Michelins so far, they will easily go to 40,000 miles with the rubber left. Not sure why some are having accelerated wear?

Learjet said:
33,000 miles on my OEM Michelins so far, they will easily go to 40,000 miles with the rubber left. Not sure why some are having accelerated wear?
Thats great for OEMs! My OEM Ecopias didn't even make 20k before going bald :x but my Costco aftermarkets of the same tire are currently sitting at 40k and other than one looking very bad with a crack ring all around the outside edge 1" inside the tread of the drivers rear and overall worse wear than the rest, the other 3 look quite good. I will not ever be purchasing Bridgestone tires again though, Michelines for me as I've had better luck with those, Bridgestones are generally cheaper and I believe there is a reason.
I've never seen a crack like on my 1 Ecopia, really weird and definitely must be a factory defect but as they are 6?? years old I probably don't have much of a leg to stand on. Still I have a set of Michelines on my X-19 that are probably 30?? years old and not a crack to be seen. I know new bike tires are crap for the most part, crack badly after only a few years and again I have some on my old racing bike that are again 30+ years old and still look better than crap I purchased less than 5 years ago for a newer bike that are all cracked, really pitiful IMO.

The only tires I've seen that last the actual "stated" warranty are the Goodyear "ElectricDrive" tires for 60K miles. You can read about my experience with them here: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=33680
Granted, they are way more expensive at $210 for a single tire, but if you are keeping your Leaf long-term (like I am) and don't live in a climate that requires amazing snow traction for a large portion of the year, it might be worth it. :?

Learjet said:

My guess would be the PSI they run the tires at.
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32785

knightmb said:
Learjet said:

True...I try to keep them at 40 psi

LeftieBiker said:
I'm surprised that it's still $600 for 4 new Michelins after a 70% discount!

They covered 70% of the cost of the tire, but the mounting, road hazard, and all that other stuff was what I had to pay for. Considering I was going to shell out at least $1100 for a set of 4, the extra $500+ (the $1100 didn't include the tax and other costs) in my pocket is welcome.

knightmb said:

Funny enough, I run at about 41 PSI on average. The tires show a 43 PSI (IIRC) max so I try not to run them near the max rating especially when the heat can add a few PSI.

I've got 41K on our Michelin OEM tires and they'd go to 45K, but I'm going to replace them. While I may wind up with another set of Michelin Energy Savers, I'm looking for recommendations.

I am considering replacing the initial Michelin tires on my 2023 SV+ with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. Because I live in coastal Downeast, Maine we get a variety of wet and snowy weathers, black ice, etc. I have heard they are OK to leave on in the summer too, even though they are nominally winter tires, they are not studded. Anyone tried these for year round use in the northern USA?

I've got 41K on our Michelin OEM tires and they'd go to 45K, but I'm going to replace them. While I may wind up with another set of Michelin Energy Savers, I'm looking for recommendations.
I remembered Nikki at Transport Evolved (her YouTube channel), once recommended Nokian Entyres so I purchased a set. Have 15k on them so far and all is well.

I'm surprised that it's still $600 for 4 new Michelins after a 70% discount!

Tyres have skyrocketed in price. I paid $1,200 installed for cross-climates for the Model Y last month. And IIRC, the warranty does not cover installation costs

I'm convinced it has more to do with how the vehicle is driven. According to the EPA the weight of the average EV is just over 4000 lbs. which sounds about right:

- Chevy Bolt = 3550 lbs
- Nissan Leaf 3450 - 3850 lbs
- Kona EV = 3550 lbs
- eNiro = 3850 lbs
- Model 3 = 3580 - 4060 lbs
- Model Y = 4400 lbs

These EV's are lighter than most full-size pickup trucks, SUV's and many hi-performance ICE vehicles. The Hellcat for instance weighs nearly 4500 lbs and the average full-size SUV and pickup truck weigh between 4000 and 6500 lbs. Many of these vehicles have more torque and Hp as well. I know that they can have accelerated tire wear as well, but nobody is complaining. I know that my two Leafs 2015 SV and 2019 SV+ both have less wear when I use the ECO mode. I know that ECO mode, like Tesla's CHILL mode, both add hysteresis or lag to the response of the accelerator pedal. I suspect accelerated EV tire is due largely, if not entirely, to owners that like to drive them in an aggressive manner due to the instant torque.

I'm convinced it has more to do with how the vehicle is driven. According to the EPA the weight of the average EV is just over 4000 lbs. which sounds about right:

- Chevy Bolt = 3550 lbs
- Nissan Leaf 3450 - 3850 lbs
- Kona EV = 3550 lbs
- eNiro = 3850 lbs
- Model 3 = 3580 - 4060 lbs
- Model Y = 4400 lbs

These EV's are lighter than most full-size pickup trucks, SUV's and many hi-performance ICE vehicles. The Hellcat for instance weighs nearly 4500 lbs and the average full-size SUV and pickup truck weigh between 4000 and 6500 lbs. Many of these vehicles have more torque and Hp as well. I know that they can have accelerated tire wear as well, but nobody is complaining. I know that my two Leafs 2015 SV and 2019 SV+ both have less wear when I use the ECO mode. I know that ECO mode, like Tesla's CHILL mode, both add hysteresis or lag to the response of the accelerator pedal. I suspect accelerated EV tire is due largely, if not entirely, to owners that like to drive them in an aggressive manner due to the instant torque.
Well said.

We have an Audi Q5 TDI that makes 430 ft.lbs of torque, basically right off idle. Yes, I could burn through my tires and bark about it, but I'd rather just drive the car normally. Just because you have instant acceleration doesn't mean you have to use it constantly. On the other hand, if there's something going on in traffic and I have to respond, responsiveness is golden. Our Audi also weighs about 5000# with us in it, so substantially more than the Leaf.

Our tire wear on the Leaf is quite normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. The stock Michelins aged out before we wore them out too, but we don't drive as much as we used to. We replace our tires at 6 years whether they have tread left or not.

Been doin' this for quite some time with DiscountTire, but since they keep charging for the ceritifcates, installation, etc., it makes it just an OK deal.
What I try to do is get tires with the largest mileage warranty, that way the next set is a bit cheaper if they don't last. My OEMs lasted only 18K miles, and I got the Yokohama Avid Ascent LXs, and at 33K (so only 15K on the tires) it does not seem like they will last another winter... They had a mileage warranty of 85K, I'll be lucky if they last to 20K, pretty disgusting, but at least I'll be getting probably $100/tire back...

Just replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Savers with Continental Purecontact LS A/S tires. Bumped the size to 225/50R17. Look nice. Seem to drive well. Quiet so far.

Not too concerned with range as we use this car, more interested in better driving characteristics. Haven’t loved the Energy Savers. They’re basically only good for a bit more range but are otherwise very mediocre in my experience.

I didn’t like the steering or the grip in the wet, and in the slick and cold they’re bad news

I should revise my comments above regarding life on the Michelin OEM tires as well. Since we split our miles across two sets of tires with dedicated snow tires in winter, the OEM really only lasted maybe 15k miles in 5 years.

Not great.

So, good for range but not much else in my experience.

I’m hoping the Conti’s offer a better balance at the expense of some range. I’m OK with that.

I’m was running Sumitomo HTRZ5 on 18” wheels for our Leaf and they were great. Highly recommend for an economy tyre/tire. Lots of grip in the dry and sure footed in the wet.

After I painted the white wheels gunmetal grey I had an opportunity to try the new Hankook Ion EV specific tyres with noise cancelling (silent) foam inside. Very impressed to say the least.

No flex or squirm under full acceleration. The only downside was the high price Hankook ask as it’s an upper mid-range offering. Dry grip and wet weather performance excellent.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back