Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
palmermd said:
didn't he say to stop talking about adapters a few posts back?

Yes, he specifically stated that so lets keep that out of this thread. The questions that remain now are when he will allow us to start sending in our units for upgrade and what the process will be/cost.

I am definitely looking forward to this as it saves me the time of building my own 240V EVSE and this will be more compact than anything I would build. Plus in Phoenix there are a few locations I travel to with 240V outlets available that I can then use for charging.

Ok, so you want to buy the "mod" without buying or making any adapters?

You realize, I hope, that without at least ONE adapter (from somewhere) the "mod" is essentially useless, right?

Phil might not yet know which, if any, adapters he will offer.
NO, do not PM him!

However, adapters are still important for any "portable" (movable) EVSE: Leviton, SPX, Blink, etc., or "the mod".

If desired we can discuss this in a "Plug-in EVSE Socket-Adapters" thread.

I figured that he would adapt the stock 120V plug to the 3-prong twist lock connector; that would give us the original 120V capability to start with. We then can adapt to whatever plug arrangement(s) we see fit.

palmermd said:
didn't he say to stop talking about adapters a few posts back?
Sort of, yes. But not exactly. I think his main concern was that a couple of posts could be mis-interpreted as implying that adapters (beyond the obvious 120v) were included. I was very careful to make it clear that these are extra cost, and that cost is not yet finalized. Not wanting to tip Phil's hand, or cause him more work, I specifically asked him what I was and wasn't allowed to talk about here. The only restriction I was given was not to mention prices, as they've not yet been finalized. I took that to mean the adapters were fair game to discuss (sans pricing). But there's really only one person who knows for sure. Phil, would you like us to stop talking about adapters? Or move that discussion to a new thread?

However, for simplicity's sake, perhaps a new adapter thread is a good idea. I do hope Phil, or someone else, does offer them as they provide a great deal of flexibility.

Making adapters with connectors that need assembly is a pain and you should use good quality ends like Leviton when not using molded ends that can get more expensive and time consuming. To sell them is a pain because you must stock many parts and do all the custom work, it's a hassle and why Tesla sells them for $100 each and I also know as a fact many of their parts are sold at a loss including the EVSE. There are plenty of people on this forum that can make adaptors and others that can help each other, perhaps Gary would like to make some. I would bet this is a better option and I know there are places on the web that make them for about $65 each custom so you could get the ones you need. In all making adaptors would earn a business about $10 and hour after expenses in small quantity so it's not worth the hassle. If it were me I would get the unit and make my own as I have in the past of just ask someone like Gary to help. It's not that it's very hard to do it's that its a pain for a small volume business in logistics in every way, I know this well as I have made many and I make thousands of other electrical connectors every year. As an example dryer plugs are about $6 but the other ends are about $15 and some go from $25-$40, molded plugs are better but making them and stocking and modifying is a logistical pain. Most that buy an upgraded EVSE will likely make their own 240V adaptors.

Skywagon said:
I figured that he would adapt the stock 120V plug to the 3-prong twist lock connector; that would give us the original 120V capability to start with. We then can adapt to whatever plug arrangement(s) we see fit.
Good point ! Especially for those who lease their LEAF. If the existing plug could be kept as is ... while a removable pigtail allows plugging into L6-20 (240V), then there'd be less anxiety about the mod being "discovered" upon returning the LEAF at the end of the lease.

(This should also lower the cost of the pigtails ... I am assuming female NEMA5-20s (neded for each pigtail) are cheaper than L6-20s.)

So as this thread drifts off into adapter land I do have a question. What is the "ideal" 240V plug to use for this modification? Is there already a consensus for this? Perhaps it was already mentioned and I just missed it.

LEAFer said:
If the existing plug could be kept as is ... while a removable pigtail allows plugging into L6-20 (240V), then there'd be less anxiety about the mod being "discovered" upon returning the LEAF at the end of the lease.
This sounds like a dangerous proposal to me and certainly not code. The stock NEMA 5-15 plug is only rated for 15A and 125V.

Spies said:
LEAFer said:
If the existing plug could be kept as is ... while a removable pigtail allows plugging into L6-20 (240V), then there'd be less anxiety about the mod being "discovered" upon returning the LEAF at the end of the lease.
This sounds like a dangerous proposal to me and certainly not code. The stock NEMA 5-15 plug is only rated for 15A and 125V.
Ingineer should make that decision. As currently planned the modified L1 EVSE will only pull 12A. And I don't really know any plugs which are only rated to 125V ... wait ... let me check the brick ... ooops, you're right the plug at the end of the Panasonic brick is a Leviton 15A/125V. Hmmm ... maybe I've been messing with too many plugs labelled for both 125V/250V. Anyway .. to repeat ... Ingineer should make that decision.

So it doesn't look like there is currently enough interest to make the addition of higher charge capability viable.

That's too bad. This modification would make the L1 EVSE nearly as good as a $700 AV EVSE. I'm in Canada so it'll be a wile before I get my Leaf which is why I haven't responded yet. With the higher current capability I wouldn't need to purchase an other EVSE. Oh well, I can probably live with charging at 12A anyways, at least until EVSEs come down in price to something more reasonable.

Skywagon said:

I believe I started an adaptor thread when this forum started but I will need to take a look. Here is a site that builds them-

http://www.stayonline.com/custom_power_cords.aspx

E-hose extension requirements:
I am willing to assemble my own cable. Shipping alone would be expensive. Posting here until someone starts adaptor-specific thread.
garygid said:
Minor Correction:
Only FOUR conductors in the E-Hose: 2 Power, Ground, and the Control Pilot. The other (Proximity) pin is NOT connected to the EVSE.

Two pairs of simple 4-wire 240v, 15 (or 20) amp, inline twistlock connectors might "work" for the e-hose extension. Presumably, an e-hose cord should be something like heavy duty, outdoor, ..., and drive-over rated.
My local Lowes carries a 4-conductor, 10G, 30A, outdoor-rated cable with heavy outer insulation. I very much doubt it has any kind of drive-over rating, but I am willing to accept that limitation. Their price is about $ 2.80/ft. Voltage loss for 30'*2 would be 1.8V.

The L14-30R, L14-30P is a NEMA locking pair with 4-connectors, 240V, 30A. 30A will keep the cable compatible with 2012 Nissan upgraded on-board charger.

EVDRIVER said:
Skywagon said:

I believe I started an adaptor thread when this forum started but I will need to take a look. Here is a site that builds them-

http://www.stayonline.com/custom_power_cords.aspx

Yes, in fact I did!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1450&start=10

Any discussion is fine by me as long as it doesn't cause a bunch of PM's or wild speculation.

The adapters I made took some time in the machine shop to complete, as they are modified. Also: not all ends are easy to modify. I had to do a lot of looking to find the ones I could easily modify. This greatly reduces cost in the end and means less adapters to carry.

In the end though, it's tough to make them affordable and still be worth my time.

I'd prefer it if some other forum members, especially those with decent amounts of spare time, could help out with this.

-Phil

I, for one, am grateful to have them. While I admit their cost caused some sticker shock at first, that was just ignorance on my part regarding the cost of parts. Upon researching these types of plugs and other sites that make adapters, yours are a bargain. Especially when you take the modifications into account, as that means less adapters to buy.

I don't want to cut into Phil's business here, but it seems he's offering up letting someone else make them. So, if you have the time, equipment and skill to make these I would be happy to share how they were modified. I don't think that's any great secret. :)

The mods are relatively simple, but none the less time consuming. This NEMA 14 adapter will fit 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60:

pic

The only thing you have to do is saw off the neutral.

On the NEMA 10 (Dryer), it fits 10-30 and 10-50:

pic

This mod is more difficult, you have to carefully cut the ground blade down so it will fit in both the L-shape 30A and the straight-bladed 50A.

LEAFer said:
Spies said:
LEAFer said:
Ingineer should make that decision. As currently planned the modified L1 EVSE will only pull 12A. And I don't really know any plugs which are only rated to 125V ... wait ... let me check the brick ... ooops, you're right the plug at the end of the Panasonic brick is a Leviton 15A/125V. Hmmm ... maybe I've been messing with too many plugs labelled for both 125V/250V. Anyway .. to repeat ... Ingineer should make that decision.

Be warned I do not recommend anyone do this, nor will I ever modify your EVSE like this! It is super-dangerous, as someone could plug a standard 120V appliance into this adapter and start a fire. This is why I only will adapt a 120v plug to 240v outlet. Not exactly code compliant, but at least it's relatively safe. Also, the choice of a twist-lock makes the cord safer and less prone to arcing, and also less likely to have a child get their fingers in the prongs.

If gets even worse when you use an extension cord. Imagine if you have your 240V to 5-15 adapter plugged into a dryer outlet and then run a standard 120V extension to your EVSE. Someone could decide to plug something into that extension cord and burn the place down, get killed, etc when 240V on a 50A circuit (potentially) gets sent into an appliance meant for 120V.

DON'T DO IT!!!

So is the mod going to come standard with the L6-20P on the EVSE with an adapter that goes from L6-20R to the L5-15P that came with the EVSE as shown in the first post of this thread? Are you considering to offer any other combinations for the mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back