Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
palmermd said:
we get complaints because we either want a third option or no options at all. Wow.
I am not complaining, I just wanted clarity. I want the original plug back that is currently on the EVSE returned to me after the modification is done. If that means I need to order the modification with the adapter in order to get the original plug back so be it. How is that complaining exactly?

Spies said:
palmermd said:
we get complaints because we either want a third option or no options at all. Wow.
I am not complaining, I just wanted clarity. I want the original plug back that is currently on the EVSE returned to me after the modification is done. If that means I need to order the modification with the adapter in order to get the original plug back so be it. How is that complaining exactly?

That's likely the best bet as you will get the molded adaptor plug.

ok, I paid for the upgrade and the extra cord. Now I'd like to buy a safe 2 x 110V Y adapter to 220V so I can use two 110V outlets at work and charge faster. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a safe, robust Y adapter?

If the moderators feel this should be a different thread, please split it.

Adrian said:
ok, I paid for the upgrade and the extra cord. Now I'd like to buy a safe 2 x 110V Y adapter to 220V so I can use two 110V outlets at work and charge faster. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a safe, robust Y adapter?
Google for Quick 220. Only one I know of that you can buy...

Ingineer said:
The 120V plug is needed for making the 120V adapter cable.
Clarification please: is this "120V adapter cable" another $25 (the second thing on evseupgrade.com, "Optional 120V adaptor cord with NEMA 5-15P plug to L6-20R molded receptacle adaptor - $25"), in addition to the $198, or is it included?

Phil,
I want to say thank you for making this mod available for us. Being able to charge at 240 while away from home is great. I will be ordering mine when and if the leaf gets to Georgia. reservation number E0E1E205 4/20/2010.

aqn said:
Ingineer said:
The 120V plug is needed for making the 120V adapter cable.
Clarification please: is this "120V adapter cable" another $25 (the second thing on evseupgrade.com, "Optional 120V adaptor cord with NEMA 5-15P plug to L6-20R molded receptacle adaptor - $25"), in addition to the $198, or is it included?
If you check the Order tab on the website, you'll see you can order two ways: just the upgraded EVSE for $198, or the EVSE with the optional 120V adapter plug for $223. Return shipping, with insurance, is noted as $20. Doesn't seem like it coud be any more straightforward.

Thanks for a great service, Phil!

Glenn

Ingineer said:
Really, if you are that much of a cheapskate, how can you afford a Leaf?
That's easy! I haven't owned a car for two years and needed to buy one anyhow, the LEAF will be cheaper than the previous Subaru Impreza I owned over the course of 6 years (and that's before figuring the tax credit in). :D

Ingineer said:
I don't mean to come off as harsh here, We just want to keep the process as simple as possible. The plugs will be used to make 120V adapters in advance so return can be expedited. Adding another category is just that much more administrivia for us. Again, if you don't think it's fair or a hassle for you, then please don't avail yourself of our service.
As it was previously stated, it just wasn't clear what the process is/was. From this description, we are technically "trading-in" our L1 EVSE for an already modified L1/L2 EVSE. From a purchasing standpoint, this is different from "sending our EVSE in for modification" and for someone like me that was curious about reusing a plug, the statement is differentiating.

Originally I thought you would be personally modifying my EVSE and shipping the same one back to me, when in actuality you're trading with me. That makes sense given you expect to keep the 120v plug, thus use my original EVSE to generate additional revenue by creating an additional product with it's "excess" components.

I'm not upset or angry, I just didn't understand that it was a "trade" situation.

DarkStar said:
Originally I thought you would be personally modifying my EVSE and shipping the same one back to me, when in actuality you're trading with me. That makes sense given you expect to keep the 120v plug, thus use my original EVSE to generate additional revenue by creating an additional product with it's "excess" components.

I'm not upset or angry, I just didn't understand that it was a "trade" situation.
I must be missing something. The website specifically states: "simply send us your Nissan L1 EVSE and we will professionally upgrade the unit and send it back to you within a few days."

I have to be honest, I am getting really tired of all the whining and bitching here! Having been involved with such projects, I know the gentleman is not making much money on this. He has also investigated substantial R&D time.

Now many are complaining about this and that and the other! It's very simple: If you don't like the deal, don't buy it! But stop bitching about it and giving him a hard time! I, for one, will be sending mine off for exchange/upgrade/swap/modification/whatever...

DarkStar said:

mogur said:
I have to be honest, I am getting really tired of all the whining and bitching here! Having been involved with such projects, I know the gentleman is not making much money on this. He has also investigated substantial R&D time.

Now many are complaining about this and that and the other! It's very simple: If you don't like the deal, don't buy it! But stop bitching about it and giving him a hard time! I, for one, will be sending mine off for exchange/upgrade/swap/modification/whatever...

DarkStar said:

+1

I just wanted to chime in again how well mine is working. With it, the proper adapters (which we now know you'll have to get elsewhere) and an L6-20 extension cord ordered from stayonline.com all packed up neatly in a bigger backpack in the trunk I'm ready to charge just about anywhere! Thanks Phil!

mogur said:

This is what happens when techy people are drawn together...... anal/tech = bitchy. You don't send men to the moon by letting things slide. By the same token, it doesn't always endear one's self to the general public. :mrgreen:

received email on ordering instructions. how many here are going to do it, have done it and what is your turnaround time?

hodad66 said:
This is what happens when techy people are drawn together...... anal/tech = bitchy. You don't send men to the moon by letting things slide. By the same token, it doesn't always endear one's self to the general public. :mrgreen:

OMG...well said hodad66! Now, how can I get my boss to read this so he, finally, "gets me"? :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
received email on ordering instructions. how many here are going to do it, have done it and what is your turnaround time?

How many Leafs have been sold in the US and how many owners know about this?.. not many I would think. Aftermarket unit will start showing up in eBay soon.

Herm said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

How many Leafs have been sold in the US and how many owners know about this?.. not many I would think. Aftermarket unit will start showing up in eBay soon.

There may be a cheaply made Chinese units on ebay in time but I can tell you that the Panasonic unit is good quality and has the best connecter I have see yet, it will last a very long time. I would never buy anything cheap I need to rely on or don't expect to replace at least once. I'm sure people are still considering EV Charge America for a home EVSE, good luck with that:)

the reason i ask is that i have no other charging option other than filling up at the dealer every few days which i will not be doing. so minimal turnaround is essential for me, but it looks like they have an exchange process so i will NOT be without a charger

Yeah, but I'm very Techie and an Engineer, and yet I still know that there is a right way and a wrong way to do such things and that one must consider the ROI before engaging one's "mouth..." There is also such a thing as courtesy...

hodad66 said:

mogur said:

DarkStar said:
Just to be clear, I was never whining, bitching, or complaining. I only wanted to know what I should have done if I wanted to keep the 120v plug on the unit I would send in.

The result of asking that question was that it was determined that our units aren't being modified and returned to us and that the 120v plug is one of the items we're "giving up" in order to have a right to trade to the modified unit. Nobody knew that they were using the plugs from the units we sent in to make the adapters or else I wouldn't have asked the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back