Nissan LEAF / NissanConnect EV severe security vulnerability

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And "upgrading" to 3G in 2016 is also a joke - especially when operators in many countries are already planning to eliminate their 3G networks in a few years.

Rebel44 said:
And "upgrading" to 3G in 2016 is also a joke - especially when operators in many countries are already planning to eliminate their 3G networks in a few years.

I bet it was an extra $10 to get a LTE chipset for the cars for the last few years. Probably would have made the data side cheaper too. I don't have much sympathy for Nissan.

reeler said:
Rebel44 said:

I bet it was an extra $10 to get a LTE chipset for the cars for the last few years. Probably would have made the data side cheaper too. I don't have much sympathy for Nissan.

Guess again: if they had opted for LTE, the data costs would have been much more expensive...and the additional speed would ultimately be wasted on a system that requires low data rates. Hopefully the choice of the 3G will allow them to provide the CarWings function for little to no (as has been since the first Leaf was sold) cost to owners.
Guess Nissan isn't as dumb as you think. :shock:

Stanton said:
reeler said:
Rebel44 said:

Guess again: if they had opted for LTE, the data costs would have been much more expensive...and the additional speed would ultimately be wasted on a system that requires low data rates. Hopefully the choice of the 3G will allow them to provide the CarWings function for little to no (as has been since the first Leaf was sold) cost to owners.
Guess Nissan isn't as dumb as you think. :shock:

Thats complete nonsense - Nissan will obtain dataplan for those modules, based on amount of data transfers needed - 3G or LTE doesnt make any difference in this.

3G and LTE HW cost almost the same

note: I work in telecommunications

Rebel44 said:
Thats complete nonsense - Nissan will obtain dataplan for those modules, based on amount of data transfers needed - 3G or LTE doesnt make any difference in this.

3G and LTE HW cost almost the same

note: I work in telecommunications
Can confirm - have done extensive R&D on cellular based M2M products.

Nissan was just lazy or asleep at the wheel as this issue was completely predictable. It was also easy to know that it would be costly to fix. Very stupid so I don't have much sympathy for them now.

barsad22 said:
Unlike you, I was never told that the car's Telematics Unit would someday not work

FWIW, I when I took delivery of my Leaf in 2012, this was written in black and white in the contract. I find it highly unlikely that Nissan removed it. Just because something is in the fine print that you didn't read does not mean you "weren't told". It's not the salesman's job to read you the fine print, it's their job to give you the paper. They told you, you just didn't listen (i.e. read).

As annoying as the inability of Nissan to properly plan for and future proof their cellular hardware, and the fact that they haven't fixed the app completely...I actually have been using the website directly on my smart phone to check status, turn on / off climate control, and other functions. It isn't elegant but still works perfectly fine for me. I think it'll be worth it if it's only a couple hundred dollars to upgrade the radio...I expect to keep this car for several more years.

+1 saw the update as being available on my iPhone; updated on my iPad as well, haven't noticed anything really 'new' just yet simply a bug fix as advertised ... all these weeks for this? Kinda anticlimactic but it works again

ironmanco said:
That's hilarious that the details of the update has a single line that states:

"~ Bug fixes"
I received an update for the Android version today, including the extensive list quoted above. And I'm able to login and talk to the car again.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Just updated my iPhone app to v 4.0.5, didn't work at first, so called support and they updated something on their end and it seems to work now.
I also updated the iOS version to v4.05 (via the "hamburger menu") and it didn't work. It kept complaining about the user id / password being invalid.

Same deal w/the version I downloaded for Android (v4.0.2 via the "hamburger menu").

I think before, you had to use a username that wasn't/didn't need to be an email address. Now that id doesn't work anymore. I had to put in my registered email address w/the password I was using all along for it to work.

cwerdna said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Just updated my iPhone app to v 4.0.5, didn't work at first, so called support and they updated something on their end and it seems to work now.
I also updated the iOS version to v4.05 (via the "hamburger menu") and it didn't work. It kept complaining about the user id / password being invalid.

Same deal w/the version I downloaded for Android (v4.0.2 via the "hamburger menu").

I think before, you had to use a username that wasn't/didn't need to be an email address. Now that id doesn't work anymore. I had to put in my registered email address w/the password I was using all along for it to work.

odd, for me I couldn't use the email address, I had to use the username. Still once I did I logged in no problems and the app worked.

jdcbomb said:
I think it'll be worth it if it's only a couple hundred dollars to upgrade the radio...I expect to keep this car for several more years.

Same here, and I expect the modem upgrade to be within your range (<$200). Nice to see the app is working again!

Back