NissanConnect EV won't connect - 2018 Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon73

I have a 2018 Leaf and the Nissan Dealer already replaced the TCU as the old one would only have a car with a red line thru it.

The new TCU shows the car connected icon instead. SOS works, but NissanConnect EV still doesn't get any updates from the car. I spoke with Nissan Owner Services and they said talk to the dealer. The Dealer says to try subscribing to the SiriusXM advanced services.

On the MyNissan website, NissanConnect EV is active, but NissanConnect Services, powered by SiriusXM is not. I don't want/need those limited extra services.

Here's what the NisscanConnect EV app says when I try and locate the car:

• EV&Services: "An error occurred while retrieving Vehicle Location information."

When I try and tap refresh to reload vehicle data (none ever yet), it give me this error:

• EV&Services: "An error occurred while retrieving Battery Status. Please try again after sometime."

Any ideas are welcome. The dealer's idea of trying SXM services for one month wasn't appealing.

Falcon73 said:
I have a 2018 Leaf and the Nissan Dealer already replaced the TCU as the old one would only have a car with a red line thru it.

The new TCU shows the car connected icon instead. SOS works, but NissanConnect EV still doesn't get any updates from the car. I spoke with Nissan Owner Services and they said talk to the dealer. The Dealer says to try subscribing to the SiriusXM advanced services.

On the MyNissan website, NissanConnect EV is active, but NissanConnect Services, powered by SiriusXM is not. I don't want/need those limited extra services.

Here's what the NisscanConnect EV app says when I try and locate the car:

• EV&Services: "An error occurred while retrieving Vehicle Location information."

When I try and tap refresh to reload vehicle data (none ever yet), it give me this error:

• EV&Services: "An error occurred while retrieving Battery Status. Please try again after sometime."

Any ideas are welcome. The dealer's idea of trying SXM services for one month wasn't appealing.
Since it was replaced, my guess is you have to remove the vehicle from your garage list because it was associated with the old TCU and see if you can add it back in as a new Leaf. Unfortunately, this won't save any driving history, so if you want that, be sure to export it first before doing so since it might just start the service over as new. :?

Falcon73 said:
It may not be related, but the charging station list updated from the car. Still no app functionality, however.
This tells me the (new) TCU is working, but it hasn't been properly activated/updated in your NissanConnect account (as was alluded to in previous post). Note: this may require dealer action/activation.

knightmb said:
Since it was replaced, my guess is you have to remove the vehicle from your garage list because it was associated with the old TCU and see if you can add it back in as a new Leaf. Unfortunately, this won't save any driving history, so if you want that, be sure to export it first before doing so since it might just start the service over as new. :?

Thank you. Yeah, I did that with phone support yesterday and so far it hasn't helped...

Stanton said:
Falcon73 said:
It may not be related, but the charging station list updated from the car. Still no app functionality, however.
This tells me the (new) TCU is working, but it hasn't been properly activated/updated in your NissanConnect account (as was alluded to in previous post). Note: this may require dealer action/activation.

Thank you. Let me get it back in there. The dealer must have missed a step.

I can't see how subscribing to the paltry XM Services is going to help (that was the dealer's suggestion).

Still no go. I worked with the dealer for about an hour and a half on Wednesday.

Nissan customer support escalated it and had me send a picture of the TCU ID.

I also set up another account with a different email but it didn't help.

We are still working on this. The car was in the dealer over the weekend, waiting on Nissan to call back. I subscribed to the S/XM Connect package to see if that would help and it didn't. As mentioned above, Nissan contends the dealer still hasn't enabled the TCU to talk to the Nissan Servers. I hope to hear something today.

Falcon73 said:
I subscribed to the S/XM Connect package to see if that would help and it didn't.
This was a waste of $

Falcon73 said:
As mentioned above, Nissan contends the dealer still hasn't enabled the TCU to talk to the Nissan Servers.
This is the problem...or the TCU needs to be replaced.

Stanton said:
This was a waste of $

Right. Even if worked, I expect it would be a waste of money. There's so little to it...

This is the problem...or the TCU needs to be replaced.

They replaced it once so far. The latest from today is the dealer's tech is doing a "reconfiguration" of the TCU with Tech Line and testing frequencies.

Falcon73 said:
They replaced it once so far. The latest from today is the dealer's tech is doing a "reconfiguration" of the TCU with Tech Line and testing frequencies.

I laughed when I read this part, not because of you, but what they told you. Given how the technology works, it would be like telling someone you are going to hang a picture on the wall "and testing frequencies" because in both situations, it sounds like made up information to seem technical like one knows what they are doing. Sorry, I just read and hear that kind of stuff all the time, it makes me laugh. :lol:

Yeah, I asked them which LTE bands they meant and didn't get an answer. Shocking, huh? lol

Anyway, the problem has been SOLVED.

It turns out that even though my 2020 Leaf had been previously traded in and removed from my NC EV account, Nissan's servers didn't quite agree... So, after they removed the '20 (again?), and attached the '18 it started working, yay...

BUT the additional services I paid for don't work, but I will just cancel that part anyway. It's my car, so I don't need curfew, boundary and speed alerts, etc.

Now, I mostly just wish the app was better, but progress has been made!

Back