Nissan LEAF / NissanConnect EV severe security vulnerability

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
Rebel44 said:
Based on stories I heard, this is only an issue if insurance declare that car total loss.

I don't think this case was such an instance as the car wasn't insured in the US. Regardless, not being able to buy spare parts with your hard earned cash is a bit disconcerting.

ever try to buy a spare traction battery from Nissan?

Well, here "spare" really means replacement. And I can buy a replacement battery from Nissan any time I want.

The Nissan Connect Owner Portal website is down tonight. Wonder if it has to do with the fix for the security problem or if they are just experiencing additional problems.

ebuonaccor said:
The Nissan Connect Owner Portal website is down tonight. Wonder if it has to do with the fix for the security problem or if they are just experiencing additional problems.

I noticed the same, and I am surprised how little information I can find about this. My NissanConnect has not worked since March 2nd, but at least I could log into the site and it was only when I tried to get an update from the car that it failed; Now tonight, the whole server appears to be offline, resulting in a Service Temporarily Unavailable message.

"The Nissan Connect Owner Portal website is down tonight."

If this were a Hollywood movie, that would be a good sign. It would mean that we are going to see the happy ending soon.

"I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show, A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes..."
Credit: Ray Davies of The Kinks

Bob

Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
I don't think this case was such an instance as the car wasn't insured in the US. Regardless, not being able to buy spare parts with your hard earned cash is a bit disconcerting.

Well, here "spare" really means replacement. And I can buy a replacement battery from Nissan any time I want.

No, spare means extra, as In I buy another battery pack and I end the day with 2 packs and I can do whatever I want with the old one.

Some people want to use the old pack for home storage for a PV Solar setup. Some want it to just time shift vs TOU rates. Some want it for an electric motorcycle or home built car.

Whatever the reason you can't get that from Nissan directly. You have to buy a wrecked Leaf.

dhanson865 said:
Whatever the reason you can't get that from Nissan directly. You have to buy a wrecked Leaf.

The answer is simple and has never changed: Nissan doesn't want someone buying years worth of R&D and battery pack manufacturing expertise for a few grand and then building their own car around it for a few more (not that I would want to own that car). They are in the business of selling cars, and (back in 2010) they thought that was necessary to ensure adequate supply for a critical component of the Leaf (just like the electric motor).

dhanson865 said:
Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

No, spare means extra, as In I buy another battery pack and I end the day with 2 packs and I can do whatever I want with the old one.

Some people want to use the old pack for home storage for a PV Solar setup. Some want it to just time shift vs TOU rates. Some want it for an electric motorcycle or home built car.

Whatever. Someone wanted to buy a headlight and a bumper and he couldn't. This has nothing to do with Nissan not selling batteries to general public. If you don't see a difference then there is not much more to discuss here. Back on topic.

KSarge said:
ebuonaccor said:

I noticed the same, and I am surprised how little information I can find about this.
Not sure it's related, but I just noticed (was sick, so not driving the Leaf for about a week) this morning and then when I got to work that I'm not getting the "Charge completed" text messages I was getting..
Even when they took down the mobile app, those notifications were still working.
Not today.
Maybe just a glitch, but ...

desiv

I stopped getting any updates from carwings since last week. It was working even after the app shutdown, but now I can't get the updates even through the website. I called nissan and they said they'll have to look into this. From my perspective, It's only the SMS portion that stopped working. That's the part that is required to get updates and send commands to the car.

The web site; even though all of the 'mobile' app's stopped working is still getting updates as long as you continue to hit 'OK' at start-up -- just snapped this screen shot for my '12 LEAF ... you can also set the timer for a pre-climate control start-up, etc.; just NOT through your smart phone; although if you have a big enough screen I suppose you could use a web browser and use 'Owner Portal' web site:

3-9-2016 8-31-08 AM.jpg

I get this error when I update through the website.
Status Refresh : Request Failed.
There was a problem detected executing the status refresh request. Please try your request again.

I'm still getting text messages for charging stopped on a timely basis but emails about charging stopped are delayed several hours. Before the security discussion I used to get both at the exact same time (or within a couple of seconds of each other with the text before the email).

dhanson865 said:
I'm still getting text messages for charging stopped on a timely basis but emails about charging stopped are delayed several hours. Before the security discussion I used to get both at the exact same time (or within a couple of seconds of each other with the text before the email).

How about the "not plugged in" emails? I get those within minutes (or it really wouldn't be very useful). I'm really glad the alerts messages (like "charging stopped") are still coming.

Stanton said:
dhanson865 said:

How about the "not plugged in" emails? I get those within minutes (or it really wouldn't be very useful). I'm really glad the alerts messages (like "charging stopped") are still coming.

I've never gotten a "not plugged in" email. I never turned that feature on.

I visually check the dash for the rotating lights for a time charge or the flashing lights for a in progress charge session. If I forget to plug it in I deal with it the next day, it's never been an issue for me.

name - email (on/off) - text (on/off)
Plug-in Reminder off off
Charge On on off
Charge Complete/Stopped on on
Vehicle Status off on
Climate Control on on

and I haven't seen any change in behavior of texts in terms of timing or reliability since I started using them May 2015. The sender address changed, I changed phones, but the way it worked didn't change.

dhanson865 said:
I've never gotten a "not plugged in" email. I never turned that feature on.

I visually check the dash for the rotating lights for a time charge or the flashing lights for a in progress charge session. If I forget to plug it in I deal with it the next day, it's never been an issue for me.

name - email (on/off) - text (on/off)
Plug-in Reminder off off
Charge On on off
Charge Complete/Stopped on on
Vehicle Status off on
Climate Control on on

and I haven't seen any change in behavior of texts in terms of timing or reliability since I started using them May 2015. The sender address changed, I changed phones, but the way it worked didn't change.

If I forget to plug in when I get home at night...I'm toast the next day.
That silly email reminder has saved my a** more than a few times.

dhanson865 said:

Saw this for several days, post here and tonight I got email and text simultaneously. Back to normal.

dhanson865 said:
Saw this for several days, post here and tonight I got email and text simultaneously. Back to normal.
Same here, the texts are back again.
So maybe it was just a brief interruption on the backend or ??

Still waiting to see what happens with the mobile app and the modem upgrade.. ;-)

desiv

just wanted to subscribe to this thread..

does anyone know if the car itself has a public IP? I understand from reading somewhere it has a phone number..

jayl said:

does anyone know if the car itself has a public IP? I understand from reading somewhere it has a phone number..

The answers are: are you kidding (Nissan tracks by VIN)? and sort of (it has a SIM card), but it won't "answer" a call.

Stanton said:
jayl said:

The answers are: are you kidding (Nissan tracks by VIN)? and sort of (it has a SIM card), but it won't "answer" a call.

i wasnt asking for the public IP for authentication i knew they did this by VIN.

I wanted to know about the IP to understand how the communication happens between the car and the nissan cloud.

Back