Nissan LEAF Press Release : Reservations restart May 1st

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sasparilla said:
tps said:
I was told, at the DC drive electric event a month ago, that my car would be coming from Smyrna. I was thinking I'd have another year to wait, but if this is true, I might be waiting two more years!

tps, ugh....I was talking about Smyrna mostly as a thought experiment and was hoping Nissan wasn't going to pull that.

What you've said here would seem to make it likely Nissan is now planning on waiting for Smyrna TN production for the forgotten 36 states - that's not supposed to start until the end of 2012 and they'd be 2013's with delivery at the end of 2012 or 2013.
Well, just because one person told me this, I don't think we should take it as official Nissan policy. I'm certainly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a chance to order earlier. But I also think there is a possibility that the forgotten 36 will be delayed until Smyrna.

Yeah, I sent this to Tony Contee at Passport Nissan in Camp Springs. He's been very nice considering they are pretty much kept in the dark as much as we are. I picked them as my dealer they are close to my work and still in Maryland.and have a decent rep with Nissan owners here at work. I felt like this wasn't quite right but from chats with the Nissan Leaf website reps they seem to almost as little knowledge as the dealers so I sent my complaint to him.

Hi Tony,

When I started reading about the Leaf at the beginning of 2009 I thrilled to hear a major auto company would go all electric. Then in 2010 I was excited to read about your reservation process. It included as one of the last 'early' states Maryland - I believe they were referred to as group two. I was very excited at this and waited on the first day for reservations. I got the email , went to the link, paid my $99 - I was glad to see the tier two group could reserve as well. Later I was able to reserve a color and trim level. I received a reservation number and told to wait for the opportunity to order is the fall.

Nissan after 20000 reservations closed the reservations. That summer on the Leaf site a set of boxes showed estimates of when the ordering would be for different states. Maryland (and possibly VA) were listed as Dec 2010. I believe I snapshotted this screen so I'll look on my mac.

As we all know delays followed and I noticed that display for order date disappeared. I was still confident Nissan had reserved my place in line and after early adopters in the first group of states I would be ordering. A speech by the Nissan CEO on youtube at an early delivery kick off event stated all 20000 orders would be filled by September 2011. While a longer delay then expected, with a new advanced product this seemed fair. Then the terrible earthquake happened and I knew that there might be further delay.

So what news do I receive at the anniversary of Earth day and paying Nissan a fee?

Reservations will reopen for more people in the early states, then for the general public in those states. I'm not sure what the CEO's promise of fulfilling the 20,000 reservations is for as it appears I'm out of luck regardless of when I reserved or the ordering process was promised. On the online forum most are pointing out even the model year price will probably change upward despite our reservation.

Nissan has never sent me a word on this after initial credit card charge.

You have been great trying to keep in touch but this silence from your car brand is very disappointing. I did very much appreciate the test drive and courtesy you have shown.

I really believed Nissan was coming through with the electric car but to tell you the truth they will be no more ahead in our area as plenty of brands planning electrics in 2012. I parked next to a Chevy Volt at the grocery store yesterday. My former excitement was tempered with just plain sadness as I realized I had really paid for a pretty empty promise.

Anyway thanks for your efforts,

Dave Glotfelty, reservation holder 5D5FBE07 reserved 04/20/2010

** beginning May 1, Nissan will reopen reservations to selected US customers who were registered before April 20, 2011 in states currently selling the Nissan LEAF™ (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Washington).following this early-reservation period, reservations then will open to the general public in those launch states. more details to follow soon regarding other markets. **

dglot said:
Yeah, I sent this to Tony Contee at Passport Nissan in Camp Springs.
I really believed Nissan was coming through with the electric car but to tell you the truth they will be no more ahead in our area as plenty of brands planning electrics in 2012. I parked next to a Chevy Volt at the grocery store yesterday. My former excitement was tempered with just plain sadness as I realized I had really paid for a pretty empty promise.

Anyway thanks for your efforts,

Well put, Dave.

FWIW.. For now I will keep my reservation. It doesn't make sense to relinqush it. Heck, I could be the holder of the oldest reservation number by the time I get to order. That might be worth something. (That was intended as humor, not a slam.)

I was very excited to not have to buy gasoline for my transportation. After the announcement that reservations were reopening and with every increase to the price of gasoline I get more discouraged.

We live in NH now, one of the 36 states, only mentioned as "the rest of the country". We are planning a move to GA, one of the second tier states, hopefully very soon, but of course the real estate market is not cooperating very well either. Anybody want to buy a nice Cape Cod style house with a full dormer?

Jim M :geek:

Since this complaining just won't stop, let me ask one thing. If Nissan had not closed the reservation list would you still feel that you were somehow wronged? Reservations would still be coming in, the initial states would still be placing orders and receiving the first vehicles. I don’t think it matters how many times the list is opened or closed.

jamesanne said:
Since this complaining just won't stop, let me ask one thing. If Nissan had not closed the reservation list would you still feel that you were somehow wronged? Reservations would still be coming in, the initial states would still be placing orders and receiving the first vehicles. I don’t think it matters how many times the list is opened or closed.
Looks like exactly same post is another tread too. We hear you, do not be redundant, please!!!!!

EdmondLeaf said:
jamesanne said:
Looks like exactly same post is another tread too. We hear you, do not be redundant, please!!!!!
Then don't have two threads going. You don't know which one is going to be read weeks, months and years from now.

A penny's worth of free advice - Do not give up a reservation slot even if you are psychotically frustrated with the schedule. The really, really hard part is just trying to not think about it while you wait (next to impossible).... what's another good metaphor??? Oh, A watched pot never boils.

Our LEAF delivery day was 9 months from reservation date and 5 months from order date. It was very rough so for people who are very eager to get their cars (seems like everyone), settle into a easily sustainable pace or you will go crazy. Personally, I had to unplug for a month from everything LEAF related. The schedule is very fluid so expect the unexpected and don't count on anything until you have your key fob in your hand. But trust me, it will all be worth it.

I agree with TRONZ! I plan to do just what he suggests and unplug from thinking about the LEAF schedule for a while. I am almost over my frustration now anyway. Thanks, by the way, for allowing me to vent a little here!

Did I say that I drove a LEAF in the Atlanta (yes, Georgia) "Drive a LEAF" event? I really liked the car, even though the drive was a short ten minutes!

Jim M :geek:
NH
res: 25APR11 #612239F1 Glacier Pearl SV

tps said:
Well, just because one person told me this, I don't think we should take it as official Nissan policy. I'm certainly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a chance to order earlier. But I also think there is a possibility that the forgotten 36 will be delayed until Smyrna.

No, I'm not taking it as official Nissan policy for Tier 3 (we'll probably have to wait till 2012 or well into 2012 to find out what that is, basing that guess on past Nissan communications), but it makes financial sense from the company's point of view (reduce losses on importing due to dollar depreciation since reservation time) and the fact that it was even talked about by Nissan personnel makes it obvious, its not an outrageous option for Nissan.

At this point, I'd make Smyrna, TN production (late 2012 with 2013 model year Leaf's) my baseline expectation for Tier 3 and then I can be surprised by something earlier. Time to enjoy and consider the rollout of other plug in vehicles to Tier 3 states first...that's a long way from Leaf delivery in summer / fall 2011, but what are ya gonna do.

malloryk said:
Yes, you wanna reserve as soon as you get that email. If you're at work, let people who work with you directly know ahead of time that you're gonna need a couple minutes of peace when you get that email. (edit: oops just realized the 1st is a Sunday so most of you will not be at work. But wherever you'll be, be ready at your computer/smartphone. Don't go to the movies!) Have your credit card out and ready! And they've probably already worked out the AMEX bugs but I wouldn't chance it. Use a Visa or MasterCard. Good luck everyone!

I live in California and registered in October 2010. The May 1 announcement is quite ambiguous. I assumed that I could make a reservation at midnight or whenever the reservation system is reopened. Are you saying that I have to wait for an email which might or might not come on May 1? When on May 1 should I glue myself to my computer?

oakwcj said:
I live in California and registered in October 2010. The May 1 announcement is quite ambiguous. I assumed that I could make a reservation at midnight or whenever the reservation system is reopened. Are you saying that I have to wait for an email which might or might not come on May 1? When on May 1 should I glue myself to my computer?
Yes...and no. ;)

Seriously, I'd assume either and neither. Be there at midnight, and check your email and here. Cover any base you can think of.

Just in case, it just may open up May 1st Japan time...i.e actually on April 30th. When they opened up the second group for reservations last May 15th one could actually reserve sometime earlier on May 14th! How is that for mudding the waters even more.

OK, I was trying to explain to a neighbor about "the process" as they are ready to jump in. I told him to first go and register on the Nissan Leaf site. This puts him in with the other 340,000 people who have registered last I heard. Nissan will start to go through this list on May 1st and send out the Reservation Invite emails to people in the open markets.

Does anyone know how far Nissan got through the interest list to convert the 20,000 reservations they have accepted? It's a tough number because not everyone who registered on the interest list is in an open market.

TRONZ said:
OK, I was trying to explain to a neighbor about "the process" as they are ready to jump in. I told him to first go and register on the Nissan Leaf site. This puts him in with the other 340,000 people who have registered last I heard. Nissan will start to go through this list on May 1st and send out the Reservation Invite emails to people in the open markets.

Does anyone know how far Nissan got through the interest list to convert the 20,000 reservations they have accepted? It's a tough number because not everyone who registered on the interest list is in an open market.

It's too late to register for the May 1st round. The deadline was April 20th.

Are they just making stuff up here? Did they forget May 1st was a Sunday? What gives?

Anyone else able to reserve one today?

I can't remember the exact time window we all got for the original April 20 2010 reservations. It was something like "between 9:00am and 3:00pm. For CA, it seemed like all our emails came at the same time and VERY late in the reservation time "window". If I were to make a wild guess, I would say Nissan will be clearing out people from the original registration list first (starting May 1). It may be days (weeks?!) before any newcomer registrations get a Reservation invite. If you have an old registration then I would glue myself to my Inbox till it comes. Good luck to Everyone!

... Oh, and you get to do it all over again on your Order day.

Back