Nissan Leaf Test Drive Tour Reports (Oct 1-3)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
evnow said:
trentr said:
Can anyone comment about the C-pillar of the Leaf? Lyle from gm-volt commented about it. It does seems a bit of a blind spot at the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUQuCg4XD8

Esp. if anyone has a rearview shot, like this one for Prius.

Oh my! Does the Prius have a rear cam? That looks dangerous.

leaffan said:
evnow said:
trentr said:
Can anyone comment about the C-pillar of the Leaf? Lyle from gm-volt commented about it. It does seems a bit of a blind spot at the end of this video:

yes, most of them do. both of mine have it, but the camera only works when in Reverse. the view is not as bad as it appears in the picture which appears to have a bit of a "fisheye" distortion to it.

the key thing is having both side mirrors adjusted to reduce the blind spots. if positioned correctly, the view is definitely "do-able"

leaffan said:
That picture is taken from very low - your normal view out the mirror is far less obstructed than the picture appears.

The horizontal bar is a bit distracting the first time you drive the car, but you quickly adjust. I don't find rearward visibility an issue at all on the Prius.

SanDust said:
The problem is that, absent maturity, the tendency is to attack any opinion that differs from your own. Hence the silly claims of bias, factual mistakes, and so forth.
LOL. You are calling others who don't share your opinion about him immature. Apart from that being borderline personal attack, how mature is this name calling ?

As to the rest of your FUD it has been dealt with elsewhere in detail. BTW, gen 2 Volt will be air cooled ;)

drees said:
The horizontal bar is a bit distracting the first time you drive the car, but you quickly adjust. I don't find rearward visibility an issue at all on the Prius.

Yes horizontal bar was what I found most disturbing ...

As they say the main evolutionary adaptation of humans is being adaptable :)

evnow said:
drees said:

Yes horizontal bar was what I found most disturbing ...

As they say the main evolutionary adaptation of humans is being adaptable :)

i agree with drees; but then again, maybe after 6+ years of seeing that rear view, i have just become accustomed to it.

what i have difficulties adjusting to is the FORWARD-left view. the pillar is a just a bit wider than the normal car due to the huge windshield and making sharp turns left especially when going downhill is disconcerting at best.

on our recent road trip to Cali, we returned up the Pacific Coast Highway which included long stretches of the curviest road you will ever drive. the stretch between Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz was just over 150 miles and took 5 hours to drive it. we averaged 3 to 10 "20 mph curves" per mile. on a curve that tight on a downward grade in the 5-7% grade range, the road simply disappears when turning left. it was, to put it bluntly; "exciting" falling asleep at the wheel was definitely not a concern here.

driving reminded me of playing a video game. only then is so much interactive eye-hand coordination constantly required.

DaveinOlyWA said:
what i have difficulties adjusting to is the FORWARD-left view. the pillar is a just a bit wider than the normal car due to the huge windshield and making sharp turns left especially when going downhill is disconcerting at best.
Yes - this can be a problem on windy roads - it does require a bit of shifting in the seat for maximum visibility.

FWIW - I found the recent model Civic slightly worse than the Prius in this regard, though.

Getting, OT - Hope to drive the Leaf in 2 weeks when the tour comes to San Diego!

evnow said:
trentr said:

Maybe this would help:
5054137264_a49f4f23fe.jpg

garygid said:
What is the dark patch in the window area on the passenger side of the bottom picture?

Probably a graphic glitch because the picture has been get from this site:

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index#/leaf-electric-car/tags/show/360

The pictures (and presumably the video) from the event last weekend are up. Turns out that you don't need your wristband number at all....you login with your email address and password for that site (as opposed to your nissanusa.com one). There are a couple of surveys about the car and the event to fill out too, if you're so inclined.

Don't ask me why the arse end of the car is cut off. Either bad photography or bad editing. Bad stuff either way from what I understood to be a professional photographer.

QQ2FT3Q8JWSE.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
this picture just reconfirms my feelings that i will LOVE my BLUE Leaf!!

It just reconfirms my feelings that I still need to loose a few pounds. :lol:

I think I've this ambivalence towards the blue (even though that's the color I ordered) because we've been visually assaulted by it from the very beginning (albeit in a slightly different hue). It almost feels like I've owned the car for a year already. *sigh*

I'm gonna need bigger rimz eventually too. ;)

tcimpidis said:
4) The navigation system has real-time traffic information. This will be activated on production vehicles when the ‘telematics’ subscription with AT&T is activated. This subscription is provided at no charge to you for the first 3 years of ownership.

Wait... we've heard before the traffic is with XM.... but it's with CARWINGS? If so that's EXCELLENT news!

My $0.02: I got to drive on Sunday afternoon in Santa Monica. The day was a good choice...word was there were many less people. In fact, i drove the course twice, and another fellow right behind me was on his fourth time in the car.

It's really nice...it really works. My only big surprise was that it doesn't come with a spare tire. :eek: Seems to be a weight/space decision on Nissan's part. It does come with a tire repair kit that is supposed to get you to a place to get a new tire. Hmmm...

I can't WAIT til Dec/Jan when my red one arrives on the central coast.

In the wrapup video

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100310414613489

I am driving at 1:11-1:12 and my husband is driving at 1:20. We were interviewed too but didn't make the cut i guess.

Nancy, Silver ordered from Alhambra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back