Nissan Presents Leaf Sound for Pedestrians...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They need to just make it sound like a fairly quiet ICE car. That's what people are attuned to hearing and people with vision disabilities are already trained to be aware when they hear a sound like that. With the sounds I'm hearing in this thread, people are going to be looking around for an aircraft, not a car. And then with each EV manufacturer designing their own sounds, it'll just be confusing.

Juiced said:
When driving an electric car you simply assume that you are "invisible", and should not pass pedestrians from behind or people crossing the street until they acknowledge your presence in some manner. This goes for parking lots as well.
This makes so much sense to me, and further annoys me about this whole sound initiative. I just wonder when it became that car drivers feel they are more important and have the right-of-way over pedestrians? I'm not a large guy, but I know if I'm walking in a crowded public place that I need watch out for kids -- if they run into me it's no big deal, but if I run into them I'll knock them over and possibly hurt them. This same kind of 'common sense' should apply to car drivers too -- when I'm in a car I can kill a person, therefore I should watch out for people and give them the right-of-way. This sound initiative, to me, feels like "I'm in a car, get the @#&!% out of my way"

In reverse, that sound makes me think that the next thing I'll hear will be a voice saying "Auto-Self Destruct Sequence initiated! The ship will detonate in 30 seconds." :lol:

I have chewed on this for a while, but am not going to swallow it. Not yet, at least. Not until I hear more audio from the Tokyo test drives.

You see, those YouTube videos above looked mighty familiar to me. Indeed, I pulled up the ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO released over 10 months ago, and sure enough: that is their original source. The first video is from 0:10 to 0:20; the second one from about 6:15 to 6:22.

I now strongly suspect that the sound has been superimposed on these clips. Why?

Because in the original video the Leaf was not backing up in the second clip. Whoever made it ran the video backwards! Whoops. I wondered why I didn't see the backup lights go on.

Seems to me that if the clips are fake, the sounds might be also. Just have to wait and "hear" over the next several days.

Yanquetino said:
I have chewed on this for a while, but am not going to swallow it. Not yet, at least. Not until I hear more audio from the Tokyo test drives.

You see, those YouTube videos above looked mighty familiar to me. Indeed, I pulled up the ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO released over 10 months ago, and sure enough: that is their original source. The first video is from 0:10 to 0:20; the second one from about 6:15 to 6:22.

I now strongly suspect that the sound has been superimposed on these clips. Why?

Because in the original video the Leaf was not backing up in the second clip. Whoever made it ran the video backwards! Whoops. I wondered why I didn't see the backup lights go on.

Seems to me that if the clips are fake, the sounds might be also. Just have to wait and "hear" over the next several days.

Excellent catch. The video was posted by gm-volt.com - they are always trying to discredit Leaf by spreading FUD. I guess pushed by GM.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/06/11/nissan-leaf-electric-car-sounds-revealed/

evnow said:
Yanquetino said:

Excellent catch. The video was posted by gm-volt.com - they are always trying to discredit Leaf by spreading FUD. I'm sure pushed by GM.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/06/11/nissan-leaf-electric-car-sounds-revealed/

I know Gm-Volt.com has to come at this from a certain angle (heck I do author the occasional piece there...although I think I am fairly even handed), but those have not been faked. Well, I guess you could suggest they have been faked by Nissan, as they used stock footage.

I know because I dug those out myself from Nissan's website, and from there up to youtube.com (because Nissan's site from Japan is wicked slow)

Here is the source link I got them from:
http://www.nissan-newsroom.com/JPN/en/PRODUCTS/ZEROEMISSION/ze_100611-01.html

Jay said:

Jay, I can't get those videos to work here, but it looks like they have footage of the three different startup sounds for the instrument cluster? If so, please stick it on YouTube!

Bicster said:
I have nothing but respect for gm-volt.com. Lyle has done a great job.

I used to. Until he actively started spreading FUD about Leaf ... and once edited my comment without as much as mentioning that it has been edited.

The below is not respectable journalism. Anyway, I don't want to take this thread OT. We can start a separate thread on that - and I'll list all the FUD.

Combined with early test reports out of Japan indicating LEAF ranges of as low as 47 miles in some tough driving conditions, will the additional presence of these wacky sounds hinder Nissan’s quest to sell 500,000 LEAFs globally?

You be the judge.

Jay said:
I know Gm-Volt.com has to come at this from a certain angle (heck I do author the occasional piece there...although I think I am fairly even handed), but those have not been faked. Well, I guess you could suggest they have been faked by Nissan, as they used stock footage.

Welcome to MyNissanLeaf.

I know because I dug those out myself from Nissan's website, and from there up to youtube.com (because Nissan's site from Japan is wicked slow)

Thanks for the link.

evnow said:
Jay said:

Welcome to MyNissanLeaf.

Thanks for the link.

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome. You got a great thing going here!

Bicster said:
Jay said:

Jay, I can't get those videos to work here, but it looks like they have footage of the three different startup sounds for the instrument cluster? If so, please stick it on YouTube!

Hey Bic.

I know right? Hard as heck to get them going. The Nissan media site is 'teh suq' as we say on the interwebs. If you are patient, and just source download it, it will come. Slowly. Eventually.

And yes the other video does have 3 start up sounds for the cluster. I do have that file as well, but it is wicked big. If you can't pull it down let me know (maybe they are really getting a run on it now), I will try to host it up soon regardless. I was just in a hurry to get the audible exterior sounds out.

Anyway, I'm not sure why Nissan is making this into an event. They can't possibly think we would welcome annoying sounds out of (finally) quiet vehicles. I'd have never mentioned it or enabled it until it is made mandatory by law.

I think I am fairly even handed), but those have not been faked. Well, I guess you could suggest they have been faked by Nissan, as they used stock footage.

I know because I dug those out myself from Nissan's website, and from there up to youtube.com

Jay: Regardless of the source, the "backing up" clip is a fake. The car was NOT backing up: the video was played backwards, as I pointed out above. That sound was thus superimposed over the segment, and is not a bona fide recording of what one would hear when a Leaf backs up. The sound is possibly similar to this mock version, but we don't yet know for sure.

Jay said:
I know right? Hard as heck to get them going. The Nissan media site is 'teh suq' as we say on the interwebs. If you are patient, and just source download it, it will come. Slowly. Eventually.

Cool, it's downloading with curl. ETA 8 minutes. :cool:

Thanks to Jay, I have downloaded that video and put it on YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OymRdtE_1LQ[/youtube]

Direct link to startup sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OymRdtE_1LQ#t=3m10s

Azrich said:
Bicster said:
4 8 15 16 23 42

LOST? Enter the number sequence quickly, before the island's magnetic force is let loose!! It does sound like this.

BTW, many "LOST" Fans think we have figured out what those numbers actually mean...

Ready?

They are from the passenger manifest of the flight... the "six" candidates :)

*IF* that mock backup sound is similar to the real thing, Nissan has certainly changed it from what I heard during the Leaf Tour. Listen to the difference in this video that I recorded (QuickTime format):

Leaf Backup Sound

Back