Nissan Presents Leaf Sound for Pedestrians...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
cmjars said:
So you can disable it all the time or each time you start the car?

I meant disable as in cutting wires or removing the speaker.
I would be looking for something a bit more elegant than that, perhaps a circuit that would automatically turn it off each start up?

evnow said:
cmjars said:
Will it make noise when it's stopped?

No.
How about "Sometimes"? The graph I saw in the "Product Outline" showed that the sound starts when you take your foot off the brake if you are in "D", even if you aren't moving yet. It stops when you stop moving, apparently independent of the brake. The graph also showed that the backup sound is going whenever you are in Reverse, moving or not, brake or not.

That leaves a couple of questions in my mind:
- Can you silence it while moving by shifting into Neutral?
- If you are in "D" and come to a stop without using the brake, meaning you are going uphill, will the sound stop?

My sound device will be laminated in braille, located in the glove box, it will read "this sound device has been fitted with a high-performance $2 kill switch that protects the general public from obnoxious sounds, the desire to kill your representative, and encourage people to pay attention when in spaces with vehicles"

Just wait, someone will sue for having a heart attack for being startled from the sound. I think the person who came up with the idea should have to have the sound playing in their office, 24/7. I also hope we have some artificial tail pipe smells mandated so people can feel like they are in traffic as well when the windows are down.

Being able to start up and drive away very quietly in an early morning without waking up other people ... is a step torward a better quality of life ... with less noise pollution.

Elextric trains with low-noise wheels ... are still required to BLAST their horns at each road crossing: Noise Pollution.

Can't people learn to be responsible, and act safely?

If they cannot, isn't that just part of a much-needed "natural selection" process?

garygid said:
Being able to start up and drive away very quietly in an early morning without waking up other people ... is a step torward a better quality of life ... with less noise pollution.

Elextric trains with low-noise wheels ... are still required to BLAST their horns at each road crossing: Noise Pollution.

Can't people learn to be responsible, and act safely?

If they cannot, isn't that just part of a much-needed "natural selection" process?

The US needs more natural selection. Perhaps a large EV rally in the salt flats at night would work, noise makers off. Now you're talking Gary:)

EVDRIVER said:
My sound device will be laminated in braille, located in the glove box, it will read "this sound device has been fitted with a high-performance $2 kill switch that protects the general public from obnoxious sounds, the desire to kill your representative, and encourage people to pay attention when in spaces with vehicles"

Just wait, someone will sue for having a heart attack for being startled from the sound. I think the person who came up with the idea should have to have the sound playing in their office, 24/7. I also hope we have some artificial tail pipe smells mandated so people can feel like they are in traffic as well when the windows are down.

My sound device will be me leaning out the window screaming "Didn't your mother teach you to look both ways before walking into traffic?!?!"

Especially in parking lots.....I see people all the time walking down the middle of the driving lane potion of a parking lot and acting like they belong there. I sneak up behind those idiots and lay on the horn. I refuse to let Nissan force a noise-maker on me simply because others are stupid. I'll either cut the wire or add a kill switch.

Part of the reason why I want this car is to reduce pollution....that includes noise pollution.

Clearly, all those "audio experts" and blind lobbyists have not thought through the real world consequences of this so-called "solution."

Can you imagine what life would be like with Nissan's VSP every time you turn a corner, slow down for a school zone, enter a driveway, come to a stoplight, negotiate a parking garage, pay at a toll booth, or go through a carwash? Gawd...! I purport that the vast majority of pedestrians would end up hating the Leaf. Those who are intrigued by your vehicle in a parking lot would lose all interest, once they hear you drive off.

Nissan needs to wake up and smell the fuming. The best solution is the driver-controlled "lights/chirp" system that GM put in the EV1 years ago. At least that's what our poll is showing so far.

Yanquetino said:
Clearly, all those "audio experts" and blind lobbyists have not thought through the real world consequences of this so-called "solution."

Can you imagine what life would be like with Nissan's VSP every time you turn a corner, slow down for a school zone, enter a driveway, come to a stoplight, negotiate a parking garage, pay at a toll booth, or go through a carwash? Gawd...! I purport that the vast majority of pedestrians would end up hating the Leaf. Those who are intrigued by your vehicle in a parking lot would lose all interest, once they hear you drive off.

Nissan needs to wake up and smell the fuming. The best solution is the driver-controlled "lights/chirp" system that GM put in the EV1 years ago. At least that's what our poll is showing so far.

palmermd said:
Is it possible that Nissan made these videos and sounds just to show the lawmakers just how ridiculous the proposal is? Whether they did or did not do it on purpose it is having this effect and I for one am glad for this. I've always thought the law was dumb. I've been driving an ev for 15 years and have never had an issue.

This is why I believe they released this sound to help persuade people how dumb the idea really is.

http://evsandenergy.blogspot.com/2010/06/testing-leaf-on-nissans-yokohama-track.html

I even forgot about the controversial noise that the federation for the blind has insisted be added to all electric vehicles. Many in the EV community have tried to fight the move to add noise to these quiet cars since we think it's not really needed, but legislation is before Congress to do just that. Both Nissan and GM have given in to the demand and added noise to their respective EVs when they are driven at low speeds. After I got out, I didn't recall hearing the noise, so I asked them to demonstrate it. They brought a small gas car, the Nissan Versa, and a Leaf to a separate area and had first the gas car drive slowly toward us, then the Leaf. I could barely hear either of them, but the Leaf did have an audible noise. If you clicked that link, you heard the noise for both going forward and backing up. It sounds very loud in the you tube video, and that's why so many of us got upset that Nissan added such a noise, but in reality, it's barely audible when you're outside the car, and pretty much not audible at all from in the car with the windows rolled up. If there is ambient noise on the street, you probably won't hear it at all. The back up noise is about twice as loud, however, and was a bit obnoxious to me. Both noises can be turned off with the push of a button once the car is on, so it won't be a big problem unless or until the legislation passes and then they'll probably have to eliminate the button that disables the noise on future models.

I am not worried about the sound-pollution that is added to the car by Nissan, they are technically savy.

I AM worried about the sounds (and volume) that our non-technical pollitical persons will decide to inflict upon us.

It should require at least a 75% vote before they can "inflict" their will upon us. I believe that a mere 50.5% to 49.5% vote only indicates that even they cannot really decide that the law should be passed.

garygid said:
It should require at least a 75% vote before they can "inflict" their will upon us. I believe that a mere 50.5% to 49.5% vote only indicates that even they cannot really decide that the law should be passed.

Noise amendment to MSA 2010 passed unanimously in the committee.

still think the sound is too loud. Cant hear the Versa unless it is very close to camera. I can hear the Leaf at all distances and the reverse sound is louder than the forward sound.

Could possibly be that the frequencies are easier for the camera mic to pick up, but either way I'm going to turn off the sounds.

I think the reverse sound is much too loud. It's very audible from across the length of the parking lot even with the wind blowing.

It's a good way annoy a parking lot full of people. The reverse sound should only carry 20ft.

Back