Nissan says I can't buy a new battery pack even if I want to

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you literally got a good mileage out of it. Personally, I wouldn't even considering battery upgrades or trading in for 2012 version as some recommend only to find yourself in the same situation in a year or so...

adric22 said:
Does anyone know if the manufacturer producing the batteries for Nissan will sell the cells to other people? We could refurbish them ourselves if they did.

That company is owned in part by Nissan, Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC).

Good luck!

The best and cheapest is just get another LEAF and swap cars or batteries. Then sell one or the other. There are plenty of wrecks to bid on.

Lease a new 2012 LEAF (shipped from Missouri for $0 down, $199 for 24 months). Then pull the lease car battery, put in your owned LEAF, drive for 50k-70k more miles, then turn in the super low mileage lease LEAF (that has your old battery) at 24 months.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but just buy a crashed Leaf for the battery. Find one from the Pacific Northwest with low miles. It seems that could be done for around $5K if you can get someone to buy the remainder of the car for parts.

I expect that if the battery remains the same for several years, we will see junkyard and refurbished batteries hitting the market to align with demand as early 2011 models start needing new batteries.

I don't think anyone should be buying a replacement from Nissan unless insurance or a warranty is paying.

TurboFroggy said:
Also why not consider the Coda? It has an EPA rating of 88 miles, about 17% more range than the Leaf has and they are $37K, not too much more than a Leaf.

http://app.codaautomotive.com/CarConfigurator/View/Specifications
I would NOT buy a Coda. I test drove one at http://www.altcarexpo.com/exhibitor_vehicles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a few weeks ago. The drivetrain is noisy and it's an unrefined car vs. the Leaf. It was the second worst vehicle I drive while there. Personally, I don't think Coda will be in business a few years from now either. Other than at events/gatherings, I've never ever seen one on the road or parked anywhere.

Regarding the bizarre statements that Nissan's made that there's no price on the battery as a whole, Andy Palmer stated that in video at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10257.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I think the OP leasing is out of the question, unless he can get a really high mileage lease, otherwise he'll get killed by the mileage penalties. I concur w/the suggestion of a RAV4 EV (if he can somehow bring it up). Only problem is if he needs service in WA. There might be delays and the tech's may have never worked on one before.

Getting a reasonably priced Tesla Model S (not an 85 kwh model) in a reasonable time frame is questionable, given Tesla being well behind on their earlier production targets.

Otherwise, I'd say the OP's next choices should be a regular Prius, Prius c, Plug-in Prius, or possibly a Volt. Depends on how little gas he wants to use.
TonyWilliams said:
The best and cheapest is just get another LEAF and swap cars or batteries. Then sell one or the other. There are plenty of wrecks to bid on.

Lease a new 2012 LEAF (shipped from Missouri for $0 down, $199 for 24 months). Then pull the lease car battery, put in your owned LEAF, drive for 50k-70k more miles, then turn in the super low mileage lease LEAF (that has your old battery) at 24 months.
From a wreck sounds like a decent idea, assuming it's verified to work ok. The latter err.... I'd think that violates the terms of the lease.

cwerdna said:
I think the OP leasing is out of the question, unless he can get a really high mileage lease, otherwise he'll get killed by the mileage penalties. I concur w/the suggestion of a RAV4 EV (if he can somehow bring it up).
Yes, leasing makes little sense for the OP, but a 24 or 36-month lease is likely the best option for the majority of drivers. The most expedient way to make TaylorSFGuy's problem go away, is to try to trade the current vehicle for a 2012, and defer the battery dilemma. There will be more options available in a year or two, perhaps even from Nissan.

I'm just thinking of what else the OP can do to try to eek out a bit more range besides driving slower. I'd imagine he might be doing some of these already:
- overinflating tires
- drafting trucks (not so safe and likely murder on the paint on the front w/o a bra or clear bra)
- aero mods (I don't visit http://ecomodder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but I'm sure there are ideas there), one might be hubcaps like those at http://www.willieyee.info/ZHPhoto5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- weight reduction (e.g. remove extra seats and some interior pieces)

cwerdna said:
- aero mods (I don't visit http://ecomodder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but I'm sure there are ideas there), one might be hubcaps like those at http://www.willieyee.info/ZHPhoto5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubcaps like that would help - you'd have to pick up some steel wheels to mount them on. With the trip being all highway - any aero mod should help - the question is how much?

Besides aero wheels, I see opportunity for someone to build a better spoiler. If you look at the type of things that the guys at Ecomodder fab up, you'll know what I'm talking about, but hopefully prettier. :) You see this on the RAV4-EV and FitEV compared to the gas models as well - the spoilers on those 2 cars are larger to reduce the size of the "hole" behind the car.

cwerdna said:
Getting a reasonably priced Tesla Model S (not an 85 kwh model) in a reasonable time frame is questionable, given Tesla being well behind on their earlier production targets.

The 4-6 weeks production delay won't mean much since delivery won't be until next summer anyway for a new reservation. Size of battery has also no effect on delivery date as all three sizes will be in full production long before that.

What would Nissan's response be if a stolen Leaf were recovered in perfect condition with the exception of the ne'r-do-wells helping themselves to the battery pack? That isn't so far fetched, they will steal catalytic converters off cars that are worth a lot less (although more readily fenced).

For that matter what about some sort of accident where the pack is damaged? Aren't manufacturers required to provide crash parts?

nissan will face this soon enough. picture a new 2012 leaf. Owner runs over an object punctureing the pack , or some sort of other crazy thing that ruins the pack and is covered by insurance and not warranty

car needs a new pack , insurance company will find a price for a new pack, they would put a used pack in a 1 year old 2011 maybe , easy from a wrecked Leaf

New 2012 damaged pack , they will have to use a new battery, not used

pricing will come out soon enough

but personally, my choice in taylor SF situation is: trade into a 2013 leaf, or another EV or PHEV
or buy a salvage Leaf and swap the packs, sell of the salvage leaf with your 60k pack in it

Why don't you trade this in for a new Leaf ? perhaps a 2013 model in a few months, or even a 2012 model ?

Won't that turn out to be same cost or perhaps cheaper than getting a new pack, assuming Nissan might end up quoting somewhere around $10K ?

How long until we start seeing knock-off clone modules? There are people making lithium batteries for the conversion market, you'd think that would soon be minute compared to the Leaf market, with 10's of thousands of cars out there eventually in the market for replacements.

Do the modules have ESNs and/or other complexities in them or are they relatively dumb? They must have temperature sensors.

LTLFTcomposite said:
What would Nissan's response be if a stolen Leaf were recovered in perfect condition with the exception of the ne'r-do-wells helping themselves to the battery pack? That isn't so far fetched, they will steal catalytic converters off cars that are worth a lot less (although more readily fenced)...

I've been wondering the same thing, particularly for BEVs designed for battery swapping.

The 85 kWh Tesla S battery could present a mighty tempting target...

="LTLFTcomposite

...For that matter what about some sort of accident where the pack is damaged? Aren't manufacturers required to provide crash parts

I'd expect that most any crash severe enough to "total" The LEAF battery Pack would almost surely be a total vehicle claim.

if it were me in this situation;

1) would not consider another LEAF with current battery pack technology since it would be no more than an expensive very temporary fix.

2) would not consider another EV purchase either. too much money into the current LEAF. Statements like "almost the same price as the LEAF" implies that there would some sort of exchanged value here which wont happen. the real price would be the slighter higher cost of new EV PLUS depreciation on the LEAF which would be a signficant amount of money

3) "might" consider battery pack add on but not sure i am comfortable with any of the current offerings. the new add on that is supposed to work for the LEAF had very shaky results on the Prius of which it has been offered for years. Since there is no one that is using this option on the LEAF, i would prefer not to be a guinea pig when my job is on the line

4) problem with the commute is logistics. I could "probably" put up with a 10 minute charge stop once a day but twice a day would get old pretty fast and that is the rub. a 5 minute boost each way would be more than enough to make it but unfortunately, it just does not work that way.

5)ultimately; i would think that eventually someone will have a pack for sale but am thinking that if Nissan does not offer them soon, any constrained free market price would probably not be a viable option

6) finally I would feel trapped. its big $$ to get a battery in a constrained market or big $$ to replace the car with ANYTHING else. driving 35,000 miles a year pretty much means getting another new car and that is probably $20,000 PLUS tax and up.

**Before I did anything; I would exhaust every possible opportunity to allow Nissan to provide an answer. I would have to simply go higher up the food chain.

DaveinOlyWA said:
that is an option but not sure I would elect to pay $4,000 now and then whatever the cost of the battery pack from Nissan would be in a year or two. $4,000 is a lot of money for a short term temporary fix.
I think the presumption is that with the added capacity, you wouldn't have replace the main pack in a year or two...instead you might wait 10 years or more. You could simply keep driving the car since it's capacity with the addon plus the degraded main batt would be reasonably close to (or even exceed) a new LEAF's.

Back