Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Hey, we got a lot of catching up to do to get up to West Coast levels.
It's not all gravy out here, you know. If I travel north I'm fine -- unless I want to go to the northern 1/3 of the state (CA). West it's only 35 miles to the ocean, so not a major problem even though there are no QCs. But south I have to go 300 miles before I get to a QC. And east? Nothing for 100 miles where I hit impassible mountains. East and then south? Again, 300 miles. If I go north then east it's more than 1100 miles from Davis CA to Ft. Collins CO.

Ray

I must have a distorted perspective, never having been to CA, but looking at it on the map, it's hard to bend my mind around that fact that it's pretty much the size of NYC to FL.

So, distorted perspective and the reports I've read in the last year of QCs being installed there must've made it seem like gravyland.

Never begrudged that, misperception or not, without CARB I wouldn't have an EV now, so thanks again CA!

Just hypervibrating with the speed QCs have popped up this week. The game has changed.

It's not just the Northeast; Denver is going to be getting several soon as well (right now, Fort Collins is the only QC in the state - it's funny that it's been mentioned so much as a landmark in this thread...).

I've been doing some sleuthing, and I've been told that Tynan's Nissan in Aurora is currently installing one and should be open any day (it was originally scheduled to be available at the end of last week, but the cold and snow delayed it). I've also been told that it'll be available 24/7 at no charge. I'm glad to see this happening more and more, as I rarely need a charge during business hours. I may be in that neck of the woods tomorrow, and if I am, I'll check it's availability (and get a picture for PlugShare!).

In addition to Tynan's, I've heard of several others planned soon but nothing definite. I've been told that Nissan is donating a couple of QC's to the City of Denver, but I do not know where or when they will be installed. Curiously, the Kia dealership on I-25 in Longmont is said to also be getting one soon.

All told (with the planned roll out from Goe3), I'm guessing we'll see about a dozen or so QC's in the Denver area by the end of 2014. Even though only some will be from Nissan, I'm still really happy to see it. I think this is going to greatly help EV adoption. It looks like Nissan is committed to EV's, which is great.

I'll update this thread (and PlugShare) as I find out more info from local QC installs!

Thanks Nissan and all the others opening QC's!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Just spoke with Ron at Team Nissan in Manchester and they don't know anything about the incentive deal! He thinks it may be just a Nissan incentive for MA, but his manager is in FL for the week, so he'll call back later. Says Manchester gets counted as part of the Boston market, so maybe they can qualify.
It's for all of the USA:

Nissan Now Offering $15,000 Towards CHAdeMO Charger Installs in US
Via its EV Advantage program, Nissan is offering commercial organizations (businesses and corporations) up to $15,000 towards the purchase of a CHAdeMO DC quick charger.

The link to the PDF is broken in the article, see here for an Oregon specific presentation:

http://evroadmap.us/sites/default/files/files/Nissan_EV_Advantage_Oregon%2010_09_13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

planet4ever said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
It's not all gravy out here, you know. If I travel north I'm fine -- unless I want to go to the northern 1/3 of the state (CA). West it's only 35 miles to the ocean, so not a major problem even though there are no QCs. But south I have to go 300 miles before I get to a QC. And east? Nothing for 100 miles where I hit impassible mountains. East and then south? Again, 300 miles. If I go north then east it's more than 1100 miles from Davis CA to Ft. Collins CO.

Ray

amen. there is a lot of L2's but its pretty much the same story. too many in one area and NOTHING in others. Tacoma is like WA's 3rd largest city and has almost nothing in L2's. If not for Walgreens (has charging at 11 different locations in Tacoma/Puyallup area) they would have less than a dozen or so and this is a city over 200,000 people!

Fast charging is even worse. Because of "border disputes" for lack of a better explanation, there is a HUGE gap north and south of Seattle. The West Coast Green Highway was to cover what the EV Highway project didnt but problem is Ecotality never completed the southern part of the buildout. Tacoma was always in the project area and Olympia was only added later after it was discovered that extra money was available to include them well, it did not happen.

add to that; Nissan did not put any fast chargers in Tacoma or Olympia or any points south until Vancouver. So we have huge holes here as well

I'm seeing 23 Nissan dealers in WA, 15 in OR, and 96 in CA. If they don't all have QC now, they might by year's end, give em a call. They might have a new one right now and no one has listed it yet.

I haven't called all 26 dealers in MA yet, but the 6 I updated this week had no clue they were on PlugShare and no real understanding of how importent these are to us. Only 1 dealer doesn't sell LEAFs (Beverly, MA) and they won't be getting QC but still have L2 because they use a LEAF as a parts shuttle to other Kelly locations. Pittsfield was unaware of the incentives, and may still check it out. Two have one in house, not installed yet.

How many other dealers nationwide have just recently got the unit and/or installed it already and no one knows? December will be an interesting month.

Nissan must have people who majored in marketing on staff, maybe even with experience in growing a new market segment, it can't all be due to LAB influence, but go ahead and take credit if you like. So, what's the strategy here? Get them all in place with incentives, then make the big announcement? Having a dealer QC network in place, then roll out bigger packs with more range, and presto, Nissan trumps Tesla? Not to mention putting the non-existent Frankenplug to further shame. No sense to buy a VW BEV (if they ever sell them here) if the QC network is all CHAdeMO.

planet4ever said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Ray

OTOH, if I filter PS for QC only, the west coast still has way, way more than we do. I didn't have any until this week. There's huge gaps to be sure, but the snowball is rolling now.

drees said:

Aren't we discussing the deal where Nissan flat out purchases DCQC for its dealers, as opposed to a partial rebate to other businesses?

Even the $15,000 rebate, I saw at least one link where there were strings attached. Not sure that it's for all of the USA. Only for areas where it benefits Nissan, mostly in CARB-ZEV states.

May be so. Weren't they talking about just select markets they wanted to grow? Sans corporate communication, we're left to figure it all out ourselves.

Any way, found the future #9, Ron Bouchard Nissan in Lancaster, off RT 2. They have the site pre-wired, but are awaiting delivery of the unit, so soon. Not decided on 24/7 yet, but working on them. Not a bad neighborhood where they are, so, hopeful.

This one took several call backs. The internet saleswoman, Tracy, told me that it wasn't in stock in the parts dept., I had to order it. Par for the course, lately. She had never heard of PlugShare either. Why do I have to educate Nissan dealers?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
wow springing up all over the place (well except here...) now!

These extra Nissan incentives are driving it all. I'm being told it's close to free for the dealers and they can't pass it up. That must apply nationwide I would think.

The big advantage here is how close they all are to each other, at least in southern NE. I mean, five dealers in RI? RI is probably smaller than Orange County. If this pans out, we should have a QC every 30 miles or so. There's already a ring forming around Boston.

That's the beauty of population density, you don't have to drive 50 miles to get to a store.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, left coasters! :D
Interesting demographic factoid most people don't realize - including many who live here - is that several zip codes in core Los Angeles have population densities greater than those in NYC - check out 90057, for example. Not surprising, then, or inappropriate, that my home in 90020 (near downtown L.A.) is ringed by six QC chargers within a few miles, the nearest about a mile from me. Two more within the same radius will be added by January 2014 (thanks, Univ. of So. Cal). BTW, only one of those eight - formerly a Blink unit - charges a fee for usage. Several don't even require a fob or 3rd-party assistance.

Not that it's a competition, but from the EV'ers point of view, this is a blessed place to live, and the climate only reinforces that notion.

timhebb said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
wow springing up all over the place (well except here...) now!

These extra Nissan incentives are driving it all. I'm being told it's close to free for the dealers and they can't pass it up. That must apply nationwide I would think.

The big advantage here is how close they all are to each other, at least in southern NE. I mean, five dealers in RI? RI is probably smaller than Orange County. If this pans out, we should have a QC every 30 miles or so. There's already a ring forming around Boston.

That's the beauty of population density, you don't have to drive 50 miles to get to a store.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, left coasters! :D
Interesting demographic factoid most people don't realize - including many who live here - is that several zip codes in core Los Angeles have population densities greater than those in NYC - check out 90057, for example. Not surprising, then, or inappropriate, that my home in 90020 (near downtown L.A.) is ringed by six QC chargers within a few miles, the nearest about a mile from me. Two more within the same radius will be added by January 2014 (thanks, Univ. of So. Cal). BTW, only one of those eight - formerly a Blink unit - charges a fee for usage. Several don't even require a fob or 3rd-party assistance.

Not that it's a competition, but from the EV'ers point of view, this is a blessed place to live, and the climate only reinforces that notion.

I think DNA was referring to population density more in the sense of how there's no stations between LA and SF, and nothing north of Napa until you hit Oregon. Here in the East, if Nissan were to put QCs at all (or most) of their dealers, we would have a QC every few miles from Boston all the way down to Washington, DC. Boston, Providence, Hartford, Stamford, NYC, Trenton, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC are essentially one big city with cities and suburbs just blending into each other. Great for an EV road trip, except for our crummy weather half the year.

Everyone on the west coast really should feel blessed for having so many charging options. Of course it's not perfect, but at least you have them.

NYLEAF said:
I think DNA was referring to population density more in the sense of how there's no stations between LA and SF, and nothing north of Napa until you hit Oregon. Here in the East, if Nissan were to put QCs at all (or most) of their dealers, we would have a QC every few miles from Boston all the way down to Washington, DC. Boston, Providence, Hartford, Stamford, NYC, Trenton, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC are essentially one big city with cities and suburbs just blending into each other. Great for an EV road trip, except for our crummy weather half the year.

Everyone on the west coast really should feel blessed for having so many charging options. Of course it's not perfect, but at least you have them.

+1 What he said ^

I'll soon have a QC about 30 miles from me in every direction, and then more within reach of those. I'll be so much freer to roam. So much better than having to hang out for hours 50 miles from home.

Another way to look at it:

There are 132 dealerships between New England and NY, and 134 on the entire west coast.

We could do well with just dealer QC, it'll get even better if others install them.

#10, in the near future, per Lenny at Colonial Nissan in Medford, off 93, just north of Boston.

Lenny says he's been told it's arriving soon and will be installed soon. Claims 24/7 :D Will call me with more details later.

On the down side, Mastria Nissan in Raynham, where 24 and 495 cross said flat out NO! not gonna buy one, there is no incentive, we have to pay for it, rant, rant, rant, says LEAF with snort of derision, so not much hope there.

Further down 495 at the canal in Borne Nissan Erik needs to ask Tony or Alan, doesn't know one way or the other, but sounds positive and interested and their L2s are 27/7 now, so hopeful.

#11 was just installed last week at Glick Nissan in Westboro on Rt 9, per Peter, it's around the side, but lot is blocked off after hours. Open Sunday 12-5.

essaunders said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Five!

Called Milford Nissan, it's been up for a week!

So far,

Kelly Lynnfield, Kelly Woburn (used to be IRA) and Milford all 24/7.

Working on Marlboro.

Commonwealth is locked behind a gate at night, and they didn't seem receptive, but Lawrence is a rough town, so may not change.

How many more? Am I dreaming?

What's your source for the 24/7? did you get it in writing? My chat with Milford indicated business hours only.
I guess I'll wait until we see people actually able to charge after hours without issue

I sent my leaf sales guy here in NH an email asking when his dealership was getting one... I'll post if I get an answer back.

Stopped at Milford, not locked and sales staff say never locked. Put some pics on PS.

#12 Clay Nissan on Route 1 in Norwood

Kevin says they have two! One in front and one out back near service area. He claims 24/7, but i'll wait for confirmation from a user.

Anybody near Boston?

So, all the operating QCs are up on Plugshare now, and I'll list the 4 uninstalled ones as they come on-line. May have missed a dealer or two out of the 26, will double check the list.

Looks like the dealers in the SE of MA aren't getting one, on a line from Plymouth to North Attleboro and SE including all of Cape Cod, you're out of luck for now.

But Boston and the North look good, and soon out to Worcester, Leominster, and Amherst.

No Springfield yet, or Pittsfield.

The Autobarn Nissan in Evanston, IL just had the Level 3 delivered. It is soon to be installed!!

This dealer is a serious promoter of the Leaf.

Great folks there.

Scratch #12, Clay Nissan in Norwood. A Plugshare user just checked in to report only L2, no CHAdeMO.

Apparently, Kevin is a liar, as I was very clear with him on the phone. A dishonest car dealer? Whodathunkit?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Apparently, Kevin is a liar, as I was very clear with him on the phone. A dishonest car dealer? Whodathunkit?/quote]
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." I suspect Kevin is simply misinformed.

Back