Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first Sacramento area CHAdeMO Charging Station was unveiled this weekend (Elk Grove Nissan Dealership, 4-20-2013):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mrs4UUbU1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stopped at Glendale Nissan this morning for a quick boost. When I pulled in the DCQC was coned off, apparently to prevent blocking of the stall, which was good. Someone immediately offered me L2, but upon my request he called someone over who had a fob for the charger. I forgot to ask his name, we chatted briefly, he said there is a lot of demand for the Leafs. What surprised me he said that they had to pay for the Sumitomo unit when I brought up the subject of their plans to require a fee for quick charging. I knew it was not exactly true but decided not to comment. As other mentioned, the charger is very quiet unlike the Blinks and Eaton which sound like they are about to lift off. The SOC went over 80% on the display but I ended up with only 9 bars after 22 minutes starting from 4 bars, however the 9th bar lasted long time.

I walked around the charger and there are 3 suspiciously exposed cooling fans on the back. I could see a heat sink beneath too. Wondering if there is a cover missing, as fans typically don't mix well with water.

DSC_0085.jpg

Valdemar said:
Stopped at Glendale Nissan this morning for a quick boost. When I pulled in the DCQC was coned off, apparently to prevent blocking of the stall, which was good. Someone immediately offered me L2, but upon my request he called someone over who had a fob for the charger. I forgot to ask his name, we chatted briefly, he said there is a lot of demand for the Leafs. What surprised me he said that they had to pay for the Sumitomo unit when I brought up the subject of their plans to require a fee for quick charging. I knew it was not exactly true but decided not to comment. As other mentioned, the charger is very quiet unlike the Blinks and Eaton which sound like they are about to lift off. The SOC went over 80% on the display but I ended up with only 9 bars after 22 minutes starting from 4 bars, however the 9th bar lasted long time.

I walked around the charger and there are 3 suspiciously exposed cooling fans on the back. I could see a heat sink beneath too. Wondering if there is a cover missing, as fans typically don't mix well with water.

DSC_0085.jpg
Same exposed fans on unit at Downtown LA Nissan.

Could be they are special fans rated for outside applications. The wires are sealed with compound where they enter the fans. Likely a non-issue, just looks a bit weird.

Valdemar said:
What surprised me he said that they had to pay for the Sumitomo unit when I brought up the subject of their plans to require a fee for quick charging. I knew it was not exactly true but decided not to comment.

Do we really know all the terms of this charger deployment? It would not be the first time that Dealers were charged something or more commonly promo offers withheld for not "volunteering" for something that had a financial string attached.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
What surprised me he said that they had to pay for the Sumitomo unit when I brought up the subject of their plans to require a fee for quick charging. I knew it was not exactly true but decided not to comment.

Do we really know all the terms of this charger deployment? It would not be the first time that Dealers were charged something or more commonly promo offers withheld for not "volunteering" for something that had a financial string attached.

Possibly, but all dealers also have a habit of telling you that they give you stuff for less than their own cost. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a natural reaction to a question that touched monetary issues :)

I spoke to the General Manager at Sunnyvale Nissan today. He said they are getting a QC that should arrive next week. He's hoping to have it up and running by May 15. He was quite adamant that it will be available only when the dealership is open. He also expects that they will charge to use it "in the future", but how, when, and how much haven't been determined yet. One option he mentioned favoring was a half-price deal for people who buy or service their car at Sunnyvale Nissan.

I didn't say anything about this, but I'm not sure this is a really good location for a QC. It would be nice if you wanted to toodle up El Camino instead of taking a freeway, but it's about halfway between US 101 and I-280, and a similar distance from CA 85. My guess is that it will be most useful for charging cars that are brought in for service, though that alone may be enough to justify it.

Ray

Valdemar said:
Could be they are special fans rated for outside applications. The wires are sealed with compound where they enter the fans. Likely a non-issue, just looks a bit weird.
In power electronics, fans are ALWAYS an issue, even when they are protected from the elements. If fans cannot be eliminated from the design of power-electronic equipment, then they nearly always turn out to be the main failure mode for the unit. (Unless batteries are also included. Then it might be a toss-up. I doubt this unit has any batteries larger than something to keep memory alive.)

planet4ever said:
I spoke to the General Manager at Sunnyvale Nissan today. He said they are getting a QC that should arrive next week.
I didn't say anything about this, but I'm not sure this is a really good location for a QC. It would be nice if you wanted to toodle up El Camino instead of taking a freeway, but it's about halfway between US 101 and I-280, and a similar distance from CA 85.
Well, unfortunately, the closest car dealer to 85 in that area is BMW of Mountain View... and err, they don't sell CHAdeMO cars nor Nissans.

I guess it's not the best location as it's does require one to get off the freeway and travel surface streets for a little while. I wouldn't say it's a terrible location either.

I used to bring my former Z there for warranty and maintenance when they were Falore. The weren't that far from where I worked (in Mountain View), at the time and their service dept. had a good rep. When going to that workplace, I'd normally take 85 all the way to 101 anyway.

Where Toyota Sunnyvale is would be a little better as it's closer to 85 and there a more places to eat around there (I like Lee's Sandwiches). But, alas, they also sell no CHAdeMO cars nor Nissans.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:

Who knows?

Earlier in this thread and at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12277&p=281799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I posted a now closed Nissan contract job posting for an "Infrastructure Sales Manager" and bullet point was "Work with Nissan's regional field teams to engage Nissan dealers on DCFC installations at dealership locations." They were "looking for a candidate that has the ability to manage and complete the entire sales process cycle for the DCFC deployment."

Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:

Possibly, but all dealers also have a habit of telling you that they give you stuff for less than their own cost. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a natural reaction to a question that touched monetary issues :)

This is such a special case scenario that really anything could be true. But things that are clear is that Nissan original intention as told to me on our focus trip of

**24/7 availability whenever possible has pretty much been proven to be almost NEVER possible.

** Available to all EVs including non Nissan brands and initially free has not happened at all locations either. I notice, its rare in CA but more common in WA although there are a few dealers here being very "selective" about access.

with the above in mind; it would appear the dealers are responsible for the electricity which is why CA dealers have a tendency to charge for charging

And each dealer does have some financial investment in the charger which is actually the status quo in the car game. At Ford, you either pay to install what the manufacturer wants or be restricted in promos, factory incentives and stock. so in a sense, you are not required to buy what they want you to but you will suffer greatly if you dont.

Service Depts survive on being certified to do stuff and EV certs were EXTREMELY expensive which includes specialized equipment to handle battery packs (no standard lifts here!) and so on including any EVSE equipment. So being left out really means you lose out on a lot of business.

But they are still independent contractors with their own bottom line and that is all I can say about that. I completely lost their reasoning on how they spend their "mad" money when it comes to promotions. At the various dealers I worked at, some things were easy to understand because they build goodwill in the community, tax-deductible and generates a lot of publicity but other things were just...strange.

Also, Tony who was trying to get a privately funded, user supported charging network going brought up a salient point in that after you pay for the equipment and startup, you immediately need to put away cash to replace or maintain that equipment from day one. So even if Nissan gave them the charger, who is responsible for the ground and electrical work?

guessing its old news by now but for list of N. Cali dealers getting one

http://www.plugincars.com/location-free-quick-chargers-northern-california-dealerships-127082.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but have to wonder about the accuracy of the information with statements like these

These new Quick Chargers, which will available to any owner of a Nissan LEAF that has a DC Quick Charger port, will allow drivers to recharge their cars to about 80-percent capacity in approximately 30 minutes. The chargers will be initially offered at no cost to LEAF owners and are available for use during the dealers normal business hours. Most dealers are open from 7 am to 9 pm daily.

DaveinOlyWA said:

http://www.plugincars.com/location-free-quick-chargers-northern-california-dealerships-127082.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but have to wonder about the accuracy of the information with statements like these

These new Quick Chargers, which will available to any owner of a Nissan LEAF that has a DC Quick Charger port, will allow drivers to recharge their cars to about 80-percent capacity in approximately 30 minutes. The chargers will be initially offered at no cost to LEAF owners and are available for use during the dealers normal business hours. Most dealers are open from 7 am to 9 pm daily.

That is NEW news, and thanks to Gary:

...These six dealerships are expected to have DC QC chargers operational by April 30, 2013:

North Bay Nissan
1250 Auto Center Drive
Petaluma, Calif. 94952
707-769-7700

Elk Grove Nissan
8590 Laguna Grove Dr.
Elk Grove, Calif. 95757
916-525-7005

Premier Nissan
1120 W. Capitol Expressway
San Jose, Calif. 95136
408-978-1234

Premier Nissan of Fremont
5701 Cushing Parkway
Fremont, Calif. 94538
510-668-8700

Stevens Creek Nissan
4855 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051
408-983-5900

Dirito Brothers Concord Nissan
1290 Concord
Concord, Calif. 94520
925-676-4400

These three additional Nissan Dealers are expected to be operational by May 31:

Boardwalk Nissan
1 Blair Island Road
Redwood City, Calif. 94063
650-364-0100

Serramonte Nissan
650 Serramonte
Colma, Calif. 94014
650-994-1661

Nissan Sunnyvale
680 East El Camino Real
Sunnyvale, Calif. 94087
408-735-6888

These chargers represent the first wave of the Nissan Quick Charge network in the San Francisco Bay area, and are part of a larger program of Quick Chargers installations underway in California and Washington State, as well as on the Atlantic Seaboard. Nissan's goal is to have a national network of Quick Chargers available 24/7 for use by Nissan electric vehicle owners

It will be nice to have another DC in Concord, but I sure wish the Fairfield, Vacaville, or Davis Nissan dealerships could put in a DC to take the pressure off the single DC in Vacaville, the only DC on I-80 between the Bay area and Sacramento.

Not to mention Nissan of Folsom, Roseville, and Auburn, for the first leg of the trip over the hump to Nevada...

Remember this is just the 1st phase of installs. On the I80 corridor between SF and Sacramento, Nissan has also donated a DC QC to UC Davis which will be installed in a parking lot just off the Interstate. This one should be operational very soon and will be free to use, but there will be the standard parking access fee.

Nissan's QC infrastructure plans are much like Tesla's Supercharger plans. A national Quick Charge network that is available 24/7. That will take time, but having one that is available initially 14/7 is nothing to sneeze at.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks, all added to the map.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Yeah, a few of the dealers listed already have QC stations that are operational.

Valdemar said:
Stopped at Glendale Nissan this morning for a quick boost. When I pulled in the DCQC was coned off, apparently to prevent blocking of the stall, which was good. Someone immediately offered me L2, but upon my request he called someone over who had a fob for the charger. I forgot to ask his name, we chatted briefly, he said there is a lot of demand for the Leafs. >>>

DSC_0085.jpg

Later Wednesday PM I also obtained brief charge at Glendale QC. Low-level fellow went in and retrieved fob to activate unit. Sales Manager stopped by and I thanked him and explained how this unit was going to save me 1.5 hours of charge on my way to Santa Barbara next week. Small dealership with very little space, so I was not surprised that QC shares same parking spaces as L2.

I saw same fan configuration, no cover, at Fontana, where unit was similarly just barely under a roof overhang. Not much heat from the fans, indicating high efficiency.

OrientExpress said:
Nissan's QC infrastructure plans are much like Tesla's Supercharger plans. A national Quick Charge network that is available 24/7. That will take time, but having one that is available initially 14/7 is nothing to sneeze at.
This is great to hear. I do commend Nissan for their commitment to EVs!

Of course, some challenges are that Nissan doesn't have the sort of direct control that Tesla has over their Superchargers, and that QC stations need to be much closer together due to the LEAF's limited range vs. any Tesla. Nissan certainly has their work cut out for them. Hopefully they'll reap big rewards in the long run.

If Nissan moves quickly enough, then CHAdeMO will remain the de facto, non-Tesla, DC charging standard in the U.S.

abasile said:
If Nissan moves quickly enough, then CHAdeMO will remain the de facto, non-Tesla, DC charging standard in the U.S.

I'm curious if other car manufacturers will abandon their plans for the SAE plug given active CHADEMO install base which is growing each month.

Nissan corporate's stated goal of 24/7 access to its dealer "network" of fast charging stations always struck me as optimistic, given the independence of dealerships.

But the buildout has barely begun and it's already clear that keeping dealerships in line with Nissan's vision will make herding cats look easy. Already we have at least one (Glendale, CA) that not only keeps their EVSE under lock and key (although last time I visited, it was unlocked; after all, it still requires an RFID card swipe), but doesn't welcome LEAFs bought or leased from any other dealer. Which defeats Nissan's intention of enabling quick charging at widely distributed locations, effectively extending driving range.

Other reports in this thread reveal similar restrictions placed on charging station access by several other dealers, that dilute and weaken their usefulness in various ways.

Nissan's initiative is helpful, but won't be a substitute for centrally managed networks of true 24/7 fast charging stations. Those are more likely to come from public utilities, such as LADWP's upcoming network of 16 DCFC stations to be located at strategic spots near L.A. freeways, or from private for-profit networks like evGo.

Nissan's inability to line up its dealers and their capricious policies may even occasion angry backlashes down the road when weary EV drivers are left stranded outside chained dealerships with both L2 and L3 charging equipment just out of reach until the next morning. Scenarios like that are more likely to set back the EV movement than help move it forward. Without predictable and reliable access to fast charging, EV drivers will turn elsewhere as soon as there are available alternatives. Nissan dealerships will come to be viewed merely as opportunity charging, rather than destination charging, and will take a back seat to more accountable providers.

To be fair, nobody asked me where I bought my car when I was charging in Glendale. They plan to keep it free to those who bought there, others will pay a nominal fee. This is not an unreasonable policy

Back