Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
BoulderLeaf said:
I had zero the other day. :)

Manual says it wont go into "ready to drive" with 0 temp bars. True?

Also says it's not possible to charge with 2 temp bars or less, but appears you can.

Not true, at least in my experience. I was able to drive it into my garage, and then later into town. The very act of driving it raised the battery temperature up to two bars pretty quickly, actually. The overall range that day was horrid, but I didn't have to go too far. :)

And I've been at two bars plenty of time - each time I seemed to be able to charge just fine.

Was this a 2012 manual that says this?

BoulderLeaf said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
BoulderLeaf said:
I had zero the other day. :)

Manual says it wont go into "ready to drive" with 0 temp bars. True?

Also says it's not possible to charge with 2 temp bars or less, but appears you can.

Not true, at least in my experience. I was able to drive it into my garage, and then later into town. The very act of driving it raised the battery temperature up to two bars pretty quickly, actually. The overall range that day was horrid, but I didn't have to go too far. :)

And I've been at two bars plenty of time - each time I seemed to be able to charge just fine.

Was this a 2012 manual that says this?

No, a 2011 version in the forum reference section. 2012 says "May not go into ready to drive", don't see the bit about being unable to charge, maybe because they added battery heaters.

The way cold affects it, I kinda wish it had TMS just to keep it warm.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
No, a 2011 version in the forum reference section. 2012 says "May not go into ready to drive", don't see the bit about being unable to charge, maybe because they added battery heaters.

The way cold affects it, I kinda wish it had TMS just to keep it warm.

Ah, thanks - yeah it must be because of the heaters being standard in the 2012.

You can ignore that one. Since there's no way to manually add a SuperCharger, people are adding new SuperChargers as Chademo. Once it's officially open, Plugshare will switch it to say SuperCharger.

Good news for So. Cal folks:

Metro Nissan of Montclair has a quick charger in the service department. No fob needed but you'll most likely need to be waved through in order to get to it. Probably not 24 hours. Looks like it'll be free for a while

West Covina Nissan also has a quick charger in their service department. Was just installed last week and I was the first leaf to try it out (cool!). They want to do some sort of valet service, and are most likely going to charge for a charge but don't know how much yet (I suggested $5 or less for a session).

Ross Nissan of El Monte also has a quick charger in the works but it is not up and running yet due to remodeling of the area that they are putting it in. Should be ready "in about two weeks" which is probably a month by the looks of it.

Note the two qc's that I saw had no fob reader (black square on the front) of any kind.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Took the CHAdeMO off. Now just says Tesla S. They can upgrade from there when it comes online.

There's actually a lot of SuperChargers listed on PlugShare like that. The Tesla folks are doing it that way because there's no other way to get a SuperCharger to show as an orange icon unless the good people at PlugShare list it as such. If I had to guess, I'd say there are at least 15 SuperChargers listed as Chademo on PlugShare right now. :(

NYLEAF said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Took the CHAdeMO off. Now just says Tesla S. They can upgrade from there when it comes online.

There's actually a lot of SuperChargers listed on PlugShare like that. The Tesla folks are doing it that way because there's no other way to get a SuperCharger to show as an orange icon unless the good people at PlugShare list it as such. If I had to guess, I'd say there are at least 15 SuperChargers listed as Chademo on PlugShare right now. :(

PS has fixed it already, now listed as a SC.

Downtown Nashville Nissan has their FREE Nissan quickcharger running!

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...258!3d36.190605!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1&fid=0

I stopped by Sunday night and found it beside the 2 Level 2 chargers up front. Just to the right of the service bay doors.
It's not a very good location as you have to drive up onto the sidewalk to get to it, but they have never had either of the Level 2 chargers blocked "needlessly" whenever I've been there.
The front gate stays open nights & weekends, so you should be able to get a free DCQC 24x7.

They are great people, I bought my LEAF from them in 2012 and have been consistently impressed with them. When you buy your LEAF from them, tell 'em I sent you and maybe they'll give me a deal when I upgrade :D

DNAinaGoodWay said:
NYLEAF said:
Has anyone else noticed that a whole slew of Nissan dealers are now showing up on PlugShare as having QCs?

Yes, I've been following along with that thread (and with this one) and I'm glad to see people are out discovering new QCs and putting the details/photos/reviews up on PlugShare (and MNL).

I was speaking about the new locations that appear to have popped up as of today. I check PlugShare for CHAdeMO stations almost daily, and today had the single biggest jump in the number of CHAdeMO stations I have ever seen. Someone went on PlugShare today and marked a large number of Nissan dealers as having QCs.

I can only see two possible scenarios...either someone with knowledge of QC installations in multiple metro areas, across the entire country, went onto PlugShare and did us a huge public service, or someone went and did a huge disservice by reporting stations that don't actually exist.

My gut feeling is that Nissan is behind this. No one else would know about all these installations and post the information all in one day. Especially considering the lack of photos/check-ins with all of these newly listed QCs, which makes sense since whoever from Nissan went onto PlugShare has probably not visited most (if any) of the installations.

No quick response from Brian so far. Also emailing Brendan Jones.

No response from Brian or Brendan. So strange. Brian was very easy to email before, responded quickly, but now nothing. Of course, he really didn't give me anything useful either, so we're still on our own. I like your theory that they're posting on PS themselves, but why they caouldn't tell us that is beyond me. Maybe they're planning some big announcement to coincide with the 2014s. In a world where we can disseminate info instantly, their focus is still on controlling it.

New DCQC operational at Nissan of Murfreesboro in TN!

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...39!3d36.1869165!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1&fid=0

I just checked plugshare and saw the new listing. Called the dealership & spoke to the LEAF tech, who said it's been operatinal for about a week.

This is great news! They have no gates at the dealership and have never turned off the level 2 chargers at night, so it should be accessible 24/7.

Only slight bummer is that it is about 15 miles from DCQC at Smyrna Nissan Plant & there is a reliable Blink DCQC also in Murfreesboro. I would like to see Nissan place these where there are no other charging options, but my kids will appreciate the free charger in Murfreesboro, as it's the closest Chuck E. Cheese to our house ;-)

philipscoggins said:
Only slight bummer is that it is about 15 miles from DCQC at Smyrna Nissan Plant & there is a reliable Blink DCQC also in Murfreesboro.
IMO that's a good thing. Very good to have redundancy given how often CHAdeMO stations seem to break down.

Slight bummer. I do appreciate redundancy, but like I said, spreading out would be nice. We're one quick charger away from a safe drive from Nashville to Atlanta & if we could get one in mid-Kentucky that would open up Ohio & Indiana for the not so faint of heart.

Oly put one in last month about 5 miles from the Tumwater fast charger and a week later Tumwater went down a few days... wasnt complaining about placement then. What they really need is at least 2 chargers per location anyway. I want them 5 miles apart.

Anybody else hear any talk about dealers eventually charging users for their DCQC's?

I had Alan Webb Nissan in Vancouver, WA tell me:

"It will be free for the first year, and then we'll figure out where to go from there."

Their DCQC should be up ~1st week of Feb. and available 24/7.

We're up in the land of relatively cheap electricity (at least compared to California). I don't know what the demand charges are like, though I do realize that even a single user could incur a significant bill for the dealership. Since it has a separate meter, I guess it's a separate utility customer, so at least that's something...

If dealers start charging, I just hope it's a reasonable cost by time and not flat-fee.

--G

DaveinOlyWA said:
What they really need is at least 2 chargers per location anyway. I want them 5 miles apart.
If they were 5 miles apart then a flat fee per session would be more tolerable. You'd drive like a gas car, stopping to refuel when you were near empty. But as they are now - in those areas like ours lucky enough to have them at all - it's like driving your gas car out into the desert past the sign warning "Last Gas for 50 Miles." Unless you're certain you have enough you've got to stop and top off wherever you can. That's when I'd really like to pay by time or by kWh.

NYLEAF said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

So the Tesla folks corrupt the database so their chargers show up in the right color?! And the poor LEAF drivers who trust PlugShare get stranded! :evil:

Luft said:
NYLEAF said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

So the Tesla folks corrupt the database so their chargers show up in the right color?! And the poor LEAF drivers who trust PlugShare get stranded! :evil:

Basically, yes. Except the LEAF driver would have had to do just the bare minimum of research to get stranded by this. Once you click on one of the mis-labeled Superchargers, the title & description clearly state that it's a Supercharger for Tesla cars only. Personally, I wish Superchargers were a different color than Chademo stations, but PlugShare wants all DC charging to be the same orange icon, apparently.

Back