NMAC troubles after returning LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omkar

When you return your LEAF at the end of the lease, follow up with the dealership a couple days later to make sure it was 'grounded' properly. I returned my LEAF on 1/1 and thought all was well.

Last week, I got a call from NMAC collections asking for money because they showed that I have not returned the LEAF. I explained that I returned the car on 1/1 and the name and address of the dealer. They then said thanks and that they would follow up with the dealer.

I called NMAC collections today (just to follow up and make sure everything was closed) and they said that nothing has changed and they still have a balance due. They suggested I call the dealer to find out what is going on and that they would put something on my credit report if this wasn't settled in 30 days.

I called the dealership today and they found that the paperwork was not processed properly (or something). They are taking care of it now and will process it and show as returned on 1/1. The dealership made a mistake and they are being helpful in fixing it.

The most frustrating part of this has been dealing with NMAC collections (1-800-777-6116). The people are not helpful (maybe that's how it is in the collections business) and their phone lines are full of static and cut out often (I was on a landline).

I'm hoping to have this resolved soon.

A followup call sounds like a good idea. Didn't you walk away from the dealership with paperwork documenting the return? That should be the proof you need if things get out of hand.

Actually, I don't think (but not sure) I received anything from the dealership when I returned the car. Dealership seems to be helpful right now. But not sure what they can do about NMAC. I'll ask for a supervisor when I call next.

I'd certainly expect to be holding a piece of paper after dropping off a $30,000 car that all was well and everybody was happy and all dues satisfied...

According to https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/endOfLease" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and clicking on "Return Your Nissan" these are the steps you should have taken:

1. Before your vehicle's return date, contact the Nissan Lease Customer Network at (800) 778-4211 between
8 a.m. and 6 p.m., Central Time, to schedule a complimentary vehicle inspection. This inspection takes approximately 30 minutes, and can be done at your Nissan Dealer, your home, or your place of business. It will be performed using a laptop computer, and the results will be printed immediately after the inspection. The inspector will review the report with you and address your questions. You will be given a copy of the condition report. A second copy will be left in your vehicle, and should remain in the vehicle until the time of return. Should your vehicle's condition change prior to its return due to repairs or additional damage, another inspection will be necessary. To schedule your re-inspection, please call the Nissan Lease Customer Network.

2. Prior to your lease maturity date, call your Nissan Dealer for an appointment to return your vehicle.

3. Complete a Federal Odometer/Lease Termination Statement at your Nissan dealership.

4. Sign and date the Vehicle Condition Report, which will be completed by the Dealer. This report compares the current condition of your vehicle to that of the original inspection report to ensure that nothing has changed.

5. Call the Nissan Lease Customer Network to report the return of the vehicle to an authorized Nissan Dealer.

Note that I bolded steps 3 and 4. Did you do/get a copy of any of these?

Also, did you notify NMAC in step 5 before they had to call you?

Another thing I want to address:

omkar said:
Actually, I don't think (but not sure) I received anything from the dealership when I returned the car. Dealership seems to be helpful right now. But not sure what they can do about NMAC. I'll ask for a supervisor when I call next.

DO NOT EVER TRUST A DEALERSHIP IS GOING TO DO THE RIGHT THING FOR YOU. It's not their problem that NMAC is threatening to blemish your credit report, especially if you didn't follow the steps outlined above.

The dealership may seem nicer and more helpful than NMAC is, but trust me, if push comes to shove and lawyers get involved, those "nice" dealership people are going to disappear fast and you'll be dealing only with the unpleasant ones.

Also, are you sure this is a true lease return? If you got another car from them the same day, there's a possibility that the dealer has offered to buy out the lease, rather than just be NMAC's agent for a lease return. You'll know this if you purchased a car and there is an entry under "Trade in."

RonDawg said:
Note that I bolded steps 3 and 4. Did you do/get a copy of any of these?

I did #3 and can't recall #4. Will have to see if I have a copy of those.

I did not do #5. If I had, this would have surfaced earlier obviously.

Yes, it was a true lease return. I picked up my new LEAF from a different dealership the day before.

Thanks for providing that link to what needs to be done when ending the lease. I had not seen that before and I'm sure there are others who haven't either. I called NMAC to inquire about the lease end process and they did not mention anything about a follow up call. I also followed whatever information I could find on the nissanfinance.com site after logging in and did not see that there either.

Are people experiencing headaches with them nitpicking every little spot, scratch or other bit of wear and tear?

Nope. I just had my inspection for lease return done yesterday and my car had an inch long and half inch wide of scratched paint on the rear bumper. I was given a clean chit on the car condition and the total damages was estimated to be about $150 only which is well within $500 what Nissan gives us for wear & tear expenses on a lease return.

I of course did two things before the inspection:

- changed the front tires a month ago because my inspection failed and I had to change it to get the sticker.
- Did a end to end detailing and waxing for a total of $95 at a local car wash. That really removed any stains on my cloth seats and the waxing brought the shine back like new.

Now I called NMAC this morning hoping to return the car a month early and get a new Leaf leased out, but they are not giving us even one month grace period which is very annoying. I remember at one time there was upto 3 months grace period, but apparently not any more. I have another month on my lease.

mkjayakumar said:
... Now I called NMAC this morning hoping to return the car a month early and get a new Leaf leased out, but they are not giving us even one month grace period which is very annoying. I remember at one time there was upto 3 months grace period, but apparently not any more. I have another month on my lease.
Well, if they want to play it that way, I'll be sure to shop around for my other EV choices. I was tempted to just go the LEAF route partly in hope of being able to get out from under this too expensive lease a little early. If I can't, I have less incentive to remain a Nissan customer. That RAV4EV looks pretty good.

davewill said:
That RAV4EV looks pretty good.

I suggest that you read the MyRav4EV forum carefully, especially the sticky on loss of power at speed. I spent some time there last night and came away completely uninterested in the Rav.

Boomer23 said:
I suggest that you read the MyRav4EV forum carefully, especially the sticky on loss of power at speed. I spent some time there last night and came away completely uninterested in the Rav.
Grass is always greener on the other side.

But I've to say dealing with NMAC is the worst part of my Leaf experience.

mkjayakumar said:
Now I called NMAC this morning hoping to return the car a month early and get a new Leaf leased out, but they are not giving us even one month grace period which is very annoying. I remember at one time there was upto 3 months grace period, but apparently not any more. I have another month on my lease.
So you have the inspection done a full month before you turn it in? That strikes me as odd.

Boomer23 said:
davewill said:
That RAV4EV looks pretty good.
Did you actually think someone who's active on here hasn't been reading the forums on the other cars being considered? I've been keeping up. I feel that one way or the another that problem will be addressed, if I have it.

I have a copy of the Vehicle Return Receipt showing a Turn In date of 1/1/2014 and a copy of the DMV Vehicle Transfer Form.

Mistakes happen and you work to resolve them. The dealership did exactly that (I'm no fan of dealerships btw). The biggest pain has been dealing with NMAC Collections.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Are people experiencing headaches with them nitpicking every little spot, scratch or other bit of wear and tear?

I had the inspection done a few days prior to turning the car in. I took all my belongings out of the car and then got a regular interior/exterior car wash. The inspector came out to my work and checked the car. This was my first lease and I did not know what to expect. The car definitely had some wear and tear. The only thing he noted were some larger scratches (from brushing against a bush) and he estimated that at $184. No issues with them nitpicking.

Before scheduling the inspection, I called NMAC to find out what they offer if I lease another Nissan vehicle. They told me that they will waive the disposition fee ($395) and up to $500 in damages. I asked for this in writing but was refused. When my lease return finally gets processed, we'll see if I receive those credits.

When I returned my car, I didn't sign anything, they just wanted the key fobs. I asked them about the odometer disclosure and the second inspection with them but they said I didn't need to sign anything, that they would be in touch if they needed anything. My biggest problem was finding a dealership in my area who would take the car. Since I wasn't buying another Nissan, they didn't want to have to deal with it. The pre-inspection was smooth, didn't owe anything even though a couple of the tires were suspect. I never heard from the dealership afterward but haven't had any problems with NMAC. I've called NMAC a couple times and they basically said, we'll contact you. I turned my Leaf in a month early, sent NMAC a check for the final payment and the disposition fee. I got a statement of sale notice from them yesterday, just a notice that my car had sold at auction (like I really care but I guess it's the law that they tell you) and that I overpaid them and that they owe me $35...... um, ok? At one point I had looked into getting into another Leaf a couple months early but the dealerships I checked with didn't have any programs to waive the final payments like I had heard other people were getting.

Rav4EV is a very good choice for someone who is in CA. If not for the absence of service here in TX and Toyota's total commitment to not sell it outside of CA, I would have leased one.

I was just curious about how they handle returning the EVSE with the leased car. I have upgraded my original Nissan Leaf EVSE (evseupgrades.com) and I could use it on my Toyota Prius Plug In.

LTLFTcomposite said:

yes!!!

well, sort of.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/01/lease-turn-ins-fyis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, I did not do any of the things I was supposed to do for my turn in and they wanted to charge me $375 for a blemish on the windshield that I dont even remember seeing so "if" it was there, it could not have been too big so I called NMAC and talked to them and they took it off so I ended up owing nothing extra but did take FULL advantage of the $500 lease credit.

they did charge me $300 for a broken antenna and $188 or so for a scratch on bumper (it was more like a gouge :? ...) but still ended up with no extra money out of pocket.

Back