NMAC troubles after returning LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running into a snag with the DMV now about the registration for my Leaf. I turned the car into Nissan in November, in January the registration came due. I had never leased before so I didn't even think to ask about that, I figured Nissan would take care of it. So I got a bill from the DMV yesterday for $400 in registration and late fees. I called NMAC and they're going to send a letter to the DMV telling them the car was out of my possession in November so hopefully in a couple weeks it can be straightened out. On the Cali. DMV's website, it says you need to fill out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability within 5 days of returning your car, you can do it online. I never did that so I just did today and I'll see what they say. It asks for owner info and sale price which is kinda weird. I just put NMAC's address and put $0. :roll:

mkjayakumar said:
Rav4EV is a very good choice for someone who is in CA. If not for the absence of service here in TX and Toyota's total commitment to not sell it outside of CA, I would have leased one.
Yes, agreed. The range is very respectable, and the lease deals are amazing. Too bad Toyota is not serious about the RAV4 EV. It would be interesting even at full sticker, I believe.

malloryk said:
Running into a snag with the DMV now about the registration for my Leaf. I turned the car into Nissan in November, in January the registration came due. I had never leased before so I didn't even think to ask about that, I figured Nissan would take care of it. So I got a bill from the DMV yesterday for $400 in registration and late fees. I called NMAC and they're going to send a letter to the DMV telling them the car was out of my possession in November so hopefully in a couple weeks it can be straightened out. On the Cali. DMV's website, it says you need to fill out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability within 5 days of returning your car, you can do it online. I never did that so I just did today and I'll see what they say. It asks for owner info and sale price which is kinda weird. I just put NMAC's address and put $0. :roll:
That Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability requirement has been around for 30+ yrs. The form is always included with your annual registration. Its purpose is to protect you in case the next owner doesn't register the car in a timely fashion--then gets a ticket/accident/hit & run/etc. :roll:

derkraut said:
That Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability requirement has been around for 30+ yrs. The form is always included with your annual registration. Its purpose is to protect you in case the next owner doesn't register the car in a timely fashion--then gets a ticket/accident/hit & run/etc. :roll:

Well obviously I'm not as informed as you are with all the DMV's forms. I've never used it before. Or I'm not as old as you :roll:

malloryk said:
derkraut said:

Well obviously I'm not as informed as you are with all the DMV's forms. I've never used it before. Or I'm not as old as you :roll:

it would seem your dealer dragged their feet getting the paperwork transferred over. the dealership I worked for usually submitted that stuff once a month so depending on the timing...

Back