non hardwired L2 EVSE availablitiy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
Actually, better to tie all the wires together if you're not going to install a receptacle. That way the circuit can't be energized...the breaker will simply trip if someone tries.
I've never seen a professional electrician do this. They always wire-nut each individual wire, then shove them into the box and (sometimes) install a blank cover plate. Creating an intentional ground fault might violate code.

tps said:
davewill said:
Actually, better to tie all the wires together if you're not going to install a receptacle. That way the circuit can't be energized...the breaker will simply trip if someone tries.
I've never seen a professional electrician do this. They always wire-nut each individual wire, then shove them into the box and (sometimes) install a blank cover plate. Creating an intentional ground fault might violate code.
Mea Culpa. I listened to Mike Holmes for that one. A little web research has made it clear that it's a bad idea.

2. The NEC specifically DOES allow a Level 2 (240v) EVSE to be plug-in "listed" (not hard-wired)
IF it is used "indoors" AND it has two safety features.

Example: the Blink EVSE.

See NEC 625.13 (as I recall) that refers to the 2 safety sections and one Indoor section.

Stanton said:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Leviton Evr-Green line? They have a NEMA 6-20 (not locking) plug. Are you getting as tired of hearing the "should be out next month" line as I am?

frickin vaporware. I really don't like when companies do this to us (see Leviton, GE and the long promised level 3 charger installers...)

Back