Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhm614 said:
But as a Intermediate Volume Manufacture, isn't BMW required to build PZEV vehicles (or buy the credits?) Does the ActiveHybrid line covert those credits or do they need the i3 to cover the requirement?
Yes - some 13% of cars sold should be some kind of efficient car - ZEV has to be 0.79%. Ofcourse, ZEV can satisfy other quota as well. That is why Nissan stopped selling Altima hybrids. BMW will try to make up all their 13% using ZEV (one ZEV will count as many credits and so they won't need to sell 13% of i3).

evnow said:
jhm614 said:
But as a Intermediate Volume Manufacture, isn't BMW required to build PZEV vehicles (or buy the credits?) Does the ActiveHybrid line covert those credits or do they need the i3 to cover the requirement?
Yes - some 13% of cars sold should be some kind of efficient car - ZEV has to be 0.79%. Ofcourse, ZEV can satisfy other quota as well. That is why Nissan stopped selling Altima hybrids. BMW will try to make up all their 13% using ZEV (one ZEV will count as many credits and so they won't need to sell 13% of i3).
So BMW's ActiveHybrids do not count as PZEVs?

TonyWilliams said:
That 0.79% ZEV was only for 2012 model year. I believe it went up this year, and will continue to ratchet up. Toyota is still selling 2012 Rav4 EV's !!!
Yes, it keeps going up - I've a lot of info in this thread. Till 2014 it is 0.79%. After that it goes to 3%. After 2017 it is 16% !! Even Nissan doesn't sell 16% now. - that is why you hear OEMs making noises about not being able to meet it and need for change (unless the numbers changed recently).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carb-zev.PNG

evnow said:
TonyWilliams said:
That 0.79% ZEV was only for 2012 model year. I believe it went up this year, and will continue to ratchet up. Toyota is still selling 2012 Rav4 EV's !!!
Yes, it keeps going up - I've a lot of info in this thread. Till 2014 it is 0.79%. After that it goes to 3%. After 2017 it is 16% !!

So, that is the singular reason then that Toyota / Honda will use hydrogen. I didn't realize the jump was so big for 2015-2017.

I do know that after 2017, the seven credits per 300 mile / fast charge capable car ends! So, these guys will hit the absolute minimum for 2012-2014 at 0.79% (12% total fleet with hybrids), and use up to 7 credits per car for 2015-2017 (14% total fleet with hybrids) with hydrogen cars, and 2018 and beyond ???? Capped credits and 16% fleet??? I didn't see in the graph, but that can't be 16% ZEV?

Woo hoo!! That's when it gets really, really interesting. They will have to either sue (again), buy off politicians, or... Gawd forbid... try and sell ZEV cars in quantity.

Deutsche Welle has recently aired a segment about the i3. There are some interesting details about battery assembly, crashworthiness, and other information in the report (via Parker http://bit.ly/136jj9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRNnv2atOrI[/youtube]
bmwi3mnl

US pricing has just been announced (via Don Louv):

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – 3:00 am EDT/12:00 am PDT July 22, 2013… BMW today announced pricing for the ground-breaking BMW i3 electric vehicle. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (without Destination & Handling) in the US will be $41,350, before any federal or state incentives. The Destination & Handling fee in the US is currently $925.

The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure,” said Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW. “With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility.”

The BMW i3’s 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque hybrid-synchronous electric motor, developed and produced by BMW, is electrified by a 22-kWh lithium-ion battery, good for 80-100 miles of emission-free driving. Designed from the ground up to be an electric car, the BMW i3 uses the Industry’s first mass produced carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger cell mounted on an aluminum chassis.

The BMW i3 will offer interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Its 32.3-foot turning circle and a relatively long wheelbase make it agile and engaging to drive, yet ideally suited to driving in dense urban areas.

Quick and convenient charging is possible either with the home charging station supplied by BMW i or at any public charging station that uses a Level 2 SAE J1772 charging system. DC fast charging, using the SAE DC Combo-Fast Charger, will be available as an option. From a public fast-charging station, it will provide an 80 percent charge from a fully depleted battery in just 20 minutes.

BMW i’s commitment to sustainable urban mobility encompasses the i3 production facilities, where hydro-electric, wind and solar power are used to power the CFRP production facilities in Moses Lake, Washington and the Leipzig, Germany assembly line. Sustainable materials are also used for the BMW i3 interior upholstery and trim.

The BMW i3 will make its world debut at three simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing on Monday, July 29. It will arrive in US showrooms in the second quarter of 2014.
Click to open

German pricing has been announced as well (via Philipp Altmann):

Munich. BMW Group today announced the base price of 34,950 Euros for the BMW i3 in Germany, the company’s first all-electric series production vehicle. The BMW i3 will be available to customers in Germany in November 2013.

Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Sales and Marketing BMW, stated in Munich: “The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure. With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility.”

The BMW i3 will celebrate its international premiere on 29th July at parallel events on three continents in the megacities of London, New York and Beijing.

BMW i3 products and services will be sold via a multi-channel sales model, comprised of authorized BMW i partners, a Customer Interaction Center (CIC) as well as an online platform. All sales channels will be fully networked and customers will be able to personalize their entire purchasing process to suit their needs. Some markets will also introduce a mobile sales force, a sales team which will be available to customers outside the traditional showroom.

With the holistic approach of „360 ° ELECTRIC“, BMW i provides the customer with an extensive product and service offer which covers the needs of drivers for electromobility. 360 ° ELECTRIC is based on four pillars: Charging at home (BMW i Wallbox), charging at public charging stations, assistance services as well as innovative mobility services, which include comprehensive maintenance services and warrantees, flexible car-sharing offers, as well as useful BMW Apps for the computer and Smartphone.

About BMW i. BORN ELECTRIC.
BMW i stands for visionary vehicles and mobility services, inspirational design and a new interpretation of premium that is strongly defined by sustainability across the entire value chain. With BMW i, the BMW Group redefines the concept of individual mobility. The BMW i3 is the world’s first premium car designed from the ground up to be powered by an electric drive system with revolutionary lightweight construction. The result is hallmark BMW driving pleasure in undiluted form, delivered with zero emissions and an engaging intensity unmatched by any electrically powered vehicle.

If you have any queries, please contact:

Corporate Communications
Click to open

surfingslovak said:
US pricing has just been announced (via Don Louv):

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – 3:00 am EDT/12:00 am PDT July 22, 2013… BMW today announced pricing for the ground-breaking BMW i3 electric vehicle. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (without Destination & Handling) in the US will be $41,350, before any federal or state incentives. The Destination & Handling fee in the US is currently $925.

The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure,” said Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW. “With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility.”

The BMW i3’s 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque hybrid-synchronous electric motor, developed and produced by BMW, is electrified by a 22-kWh lithium-ion battery, good for 80-100 miles of emission-free driving. Designed from the ground up to be an electric car, the BMW i3 uses the Industry’s first mass produced carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger cell mounted on an aluminum chassis.

The BMW i3 will offer interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Its 32.3-foot turning circle and a relatively long wheelbase make it agile and engaging to drive, yet ideally suited to driving in dense urban areas.

Quick and convenient charging is possible either with the home charging station supplied by BMW i or at any public charging station that uses a Level 2 SAE J1772 charging system. DC fast charging, using the SAE DC Combo-Fast Charger, will be available as an option. From a public fast-charging station, it will provide an 80 percent charge from a fully depleted battery in just 20 minutes.

BMW i’s commitment to sustainable urban mobility encompasses the i3 production facilities, where hydro-electric, wind and solar power are used to power the CFRP production facilities in Moses Lake, Washington and the Leipzig, Germany assembly line. Sustainable materials are also used for the BMW i3 interior upholstery and trim.

The BMW i3 will make its world debut at three simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing on Monday, July 29. It will arrive in US showrooms in the second quarter of 2014.
Click to open

wow, I just saw this as well. ( http://chargedevs.com/newswire/bmw-announces-pricing-of-new-electric-i3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Seems a bit more that I was expecting, I thought it would start at $39,995, but given that it is a BMW I should have expected that I guess.

Second quarter 2014 in the USA... no mention of the gasoline burner option. The price I expected, and overall expectations.

No mention of the prized Frankenplug in the German press release.

Insideevs.com - Seems like $31,350 in CA will be a pretty good deal.

'The BMW i3 will make its world debut at three simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing on Monday, July 29.'

The 2014 BMW i3 gets a price and it's right in the range we predicted.

Starting at $41,350 (+ $925 for destination), the i3 is certainly priced to compete. If you factor in the $7,500 federal tax credit, then the cost drops to $33,850. For those in California, the state-level credit drops the i3's price down to $31,350.

scottf200 said:
Insideevs.com - Seems like $31,350 in CA will be a pretty good deal.
Starting at $41,350 (+ $925 for destination), the i3 is certainly priced to compete. If you factor in the $7,500 federal tax credit, then the cost drops to $33,850. For those in California, the state-level credit drops the i3's price down to $31,350.
Doesn't seem all that exciting. They didn't release a price for the range extender.

Leaf at $28,800 - same credits $10k is $18,800. Lots less expensive than the i3. Not sure what you get for it the extra $12,550 i.e. 43% more money. About the same range, space, etc. If it had better range then maybe it would be interesting. Even with the range extender, if thats an extra $2k, we're at $43,350 vs a Volt with the new expected pricing around $36,000. For an extra $7,350 you get a vehicle with more electric range but much less comfortable when running with the range extender.

Will be interesting when they announce all the pricing and features. Good to see another purpose built electric vehicle.

So, it will be a year before we can get i3.

Leaf SV+packages : $2k down + $125 a month
Base i3 : $2k down + $400 a month (?)
i3 REx : $2k down + $500 a month (?)

So, 3 or 4 times the price of my current Leaf. No CHAdeMO. Hard to justify.

If they have troubles moving them, which I doubt, they will surely come up with a lease program with inflated residuals to make i3 more competitive with other offerings.

evnow said:
Yes, agreed. Should this be the best lease deal available, it will be a tough sell to anyone familiar with the LEAF, despite several technological innovations and improvements. Considering the price point of the Volt/Ampera, especially in Europe, the i3 could still do well volume-wise. A LEAF competitor it isn't though.

surfingslovak said:
evnow said:
Yes, agreed. Should this be the best lease deal available, it will be a tough sell to anyone familiar with the LEAF, despite several technological innovations and improvements. Considering the price point of the Volt/Ampera, especially in Europe, the i3 could still do well volume-wise. A LEAF competitor it isn't though.

Except they expect their i3 customers to be brand new to EV's (and many brand new to BMW). They won't have a clue.

I'm waiting for the mega complaining starting July 1, 2014 of "hey, how come there's no place to charge?".

TonyWilliams said:
I'm waiting for the mega complaining starting July 1, 2014 of "hey, how come there's no place to charge?".
Yes, particularly when the realization that CHAdeMO <> CCS and the limited distribution of this alternative QC network sinks in. Let's hope that most of these new EV owners will opt for the REx. As much as I'm opposed to burning more gas, the range extender looks like a sensible choice, and it will help gloss over the dearth of CCS-compatible quick chargers and the small battery. I would expect the i3 to be very efficient in city traffic. That said, I'm concerned about its freeway range. The outside dimensions and aerodynamics will be comparable to the LEAF. Anyone who expects 90+ miles of range on the freeway will likely be disappointed. This is where the REx could come to the rescue again.

From insideevs.com:

"US Launch of BMW i3 Pushed Back to Second Quarter of 2014"

http://insideevs.com/us-launch-of-bmw-i3-pushed-back-to-second-quarter-of-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, from the same source:

"Official: BMW i3 Range Extender Option Adds 4,490 Euros ($5,919 US) to Price Tag in Netherlands"

http://insideevs.com/official-bmw-i3-range-extender-option-adds-4490-euros-5919-us-to-price-tag-in-netherlands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article notes that over $1,200 of that is VAT, so it works out to about $4,650 in the U.S.

GRA said:
The article notes that over $1,200 of that is VAT, so it works out to about $4,650 in the U.S.
Right, I pointed that out to them. The REx option will be likely priced at about $4K, which is something Tom mentioned elsewhere as well.

Who wants to put bets on 65mph freeway (all my usual caveats) range?

Above or below LEAF?

Lower weight won't help it much. Smaller battery won't help at all.

I say 78 miles. Can't wait to test one July 2014.

Back