Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While most EV and Hybrids are becoming more attractive the Cmax is headed in the opposite direction, chunky and slow looking.

EnergyNovice said:
While most EV and Hybrids are becoming more attractive the Cmax is headed in the opposite direction, chunky and slow looking.
Some of us are more concerned with utility than looks, and the C-Max provides more utility than a Volt does, and almost certainly better driving qualities than a PiP. But many of the people interested in the C-Max Energi are also interested in the forthcoming Outlander, so we'll have to see how they compare. Now, if GM would just make a small CUV or wagon (Equinox/HHR size) using the Volt power train and offering AWD as an option, that would be sweet. Although I do think that they'd have to offer a version with only 1/2 to 2/3rds of the Volt's battery, to compete on price with the others.

redLEAF said:
Ford C-Max Energi qualifies for California tax credits, HOV lane; one more benefit for the folks in CA:

I'm really starting to consider one of these for Mrs. W. ~30 miles EV; can charge overnight on 110v while the LEAF is feeding off the EVSE; $3750 Federal Tax Credit (which may be as much liabitlity I can muster yearly for the foreseeable future); $1500 cash rebate from the nice folks at the CVRP; Green HOV lane stickers. And I don't hate it. :D

I had a chance to test drive the non-plug-in version last weekend at the local auto show (the Energi was on display but not drivable)... and it seems to have the same very sensitive braking that the FFE has. :?

EnergyNovice said:

the eyes of the beholder!

i personally like the looks of the C-Max. granted it does not scream out "I'M ELECTRIC!!" but still, its nice

+1 on the C-Max, this body style is quite popular in Europe. Here in the U.S. we can't seem to take any liking (at least in any numbers) to wagons, and hatchbacks are thought of as econo boxes even though many have started to go upscale (A3 our LEAF and others).

Strangely enough, I got some marketing stuff from Ford on the Energi in the mail last night. I'm somewhat disappointed to see only 21 miles EV (EPA) in the brochure. Though we know they are generally pessimistic figures, I do find myself wondering if it's realistic to expect 30 miles real-world.

I think what we'll do, if we decide to take the plunge, is let all the eager-beavers get theirs first (though I don't honestly see a mad rush for this vehicle) and then really beat the dealer up over a car already sitting on the lot. I'll get a deal on this one, or I simply won't buy. ;)

mwalsh said:
Strangely enough, I got some marketing stuff from Ford on the Energi in the mail last night. I'm somewhat disappointed to see only 21 miles EV (EPA) in the brochure. Though we know they are generally pessimistic figures, I do find myself wondering if it's realistic to expect 30 miles real-world.

I think what we'll do, if we decide to take the plunge, is let all the eager-beavers get theirs first (though I don't honestly see a mad rush for this vehicle) and then really beat the dealer up over a car already sitting on the lot. I'll get a deal on this one, or I simply won't buy. ;)

Not a bad strategy! If it could indeed stretch to 30 miles running EV mode it would be a better choice for me as well as that's my daily work commute. Ford decided early on to not extend its X-pricing discount to the Energi as well as the FFE but does include the 'regular' hybrid version (which also gets a $1K cash off on top of the X-pricing) but I'm also waiting to see if our state EPA does anything more. Many pundits simply think the Energi version just won't be worth the extra cost so we'll see if these simply collect dust on Ford lots or not.

mwalsh said:
I didn't realize the Fusion was going to come as an Energi too. All else being equal (EV range, tax credit, rebate, HOV decals, etc...), the Fusion is a much more attractive car!

yes but the utility is completely different. less flexible in the storage area but a more comfortable ride for 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids.

evnow said:
My dealer says Energi will be out next week.

Funny - no reviews yet.

No early press car/ride opportunities as far as I know. We are just waiting on delivery for the one we bought to do a review. This east coast storm might cause some short term delays in delivery.

...but its coming, lol

Statik said:
evnow said:

Funny - no reviews yet.

No early press car/ride opportunities as far as I know. We are just waiting on delivery for the one we bought to do a review. This east coast storm might cause some short term delays in delivery.

...but its coming, lol

They are pretty lame with the advance publicity. They are having a test drive event this week in Atlanta, but I won't be able to make it; only posted today on the Ford EV facebook page. Most of the other sites are in CA, OR and WA in the coming weeks:
http://register.fordgreendrive.com/

EDIT: Sucker alert: It is just the Hybrid C-Max and the Focus Electric.

nogajim said:
Statik said:
evnow said:

Funny - no reviews yet.

...but its coming, lol

They are pretty lame with the advance publicity. They are having a test drive event this week in Atlanta, but I won't be able to make it; only posted today on the Ford EV facebook page. Most of the other sites are in CA, OR and WA in the coming weeks:

It lists the FFE and the C-Max hybrid, are they having an C-Max Energi too? If so, I really need to run down our guy at Ford, lol.

Statik said:
nogajim said:

It lists the FFE and the C-Max hybrid, are they having an C-Max Energi too? If so, I really need to run down our guy at Ford, lol.

Aahhh! Fooled again by the hybrid! It didn't say whether it was hybrid or not on the FB link. Will edit above.

evnow said:

Funny - no reviews yet.

any updates on that yet? will this be a car for sale or just a demo? i have not even heard of any demos, test drives or anything concerning the Energi...

DaveinOlyWA said:
evnow said:

Funny - no reviews yet.

any updates on that yet? will this be a car for sale or just a demo? i have not even heard of any demos, test drives or anything concerning the Energi...

No update - but it seemed like it would be for sale.

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
evnow said:

Funny - no reviews yet.

No update - but it seemed like it would be for sale.

Is that based on the vehicle stock status changing from in 'dealer order' to 'stock' or something else (I've been monitoring my local dealer to see when the one they have in-transit status changes but he has also assured me that they'll do an email blast to those interested in the Energi once it shows up)?

Back