Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone done a DC charge on this puppy yet? Apparently the battery can take a lot more current than the Leaf. My Leaf starts out around 40, and drops to 20 by 80%. Does the Soul EV do better than that?

pkulak said:
Has anyone done a DC charge on this puppy yet? Apparently the battery can take a lot more current than the Leaf. My Leaf starts out around 40, and drops to 20 by 80%. Does the Soul EV do better than that?

The charge rate will be comparable to the LEAF while using CHAdeMO.

Yes...

My point is that if it can pull 100 (over 3C!) at any point, it should be able to stay above 40 for a very long time.

They quote 25 min for charging 'on a 100kW charger' (not the same thing as being 100kW capable). Compare with 33 min on a 50kW charger and you might conclude it is only pulling the CHAdeMO standard's max 62.5kW. i.e. the talk of 100kW is fluff.

o00scorpion00o said:
I think kia quote 20 mins on a 100 kw charger to 80 %.

CHaDeMo II is already in the works I believe ? 120 kW.

CHAdeMO is 125 amps... Period. That means about 48kW in a LEAF or Kia Soul EV.

In the future, it will go to 200 amps, of which the only cars that can accept that are the Tesla Model S/3/X, assuming the Teala / CHAdeMO adaptor will be modified to handle 200 amps.

There are currently ZERO of the 200 amp chargers. Actually, most of the Nissan branded ones are only 115 amps, and others are as low as 50 amps,

Actually, no... There are currently virtually no CCS cars available in the U.S. and only a few CCS chargers nationwide. Chaedmo still rules the roost here!

o00scorpion00o said:
The E.U is to phase out CHAdeMo anyway and the U.S and E.U car makers have adopted ccs.

ILETRIC said:
TomT said:
Actually, no... There are currently virtually no CCS cars available in the U.S.
Except for the little Sparky by GM of course...
Of which there are virtually none. See http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Combo1 inlet on Spark EV is optional and didn't even become available as a choice until either Dec 2013 or Jan 2014.

In a single month in the US, the Leaf sells almost 1000 more units than all the Spark EV units that exist in the US combined.

What I'd like to see is how many i3s have been sold with CCS here. I suspect most of the ones that would get it have opted for the REx instead. We'll just have to see how much skin VW will put in the game; BMW says next year is the 'year of infrastructure'. Whether that's a real commitment or just PR fluff remains to be seen, but I suspect they're serious.

Meanwhile, CCS in California and to a lesser extent Oregon, which are the only two states the Spark EV is currently sold, total 45 and 7, which is far ahead of the rate at which CHAdeMO appeared. Admittedly, most of the ones in California are due to a settlement of a lawsuit, but with 3 manufacturers now having cars that can use it (the same as CHAdeMO; 4 CHAdeMO if you include Teslas with the adapter, but I think it's generous to include the iMiEV given its infinitesimal sales), the QCs per car is far better than CHAdeMO, and most of the CCS aren't at dealerships so have 24/7 access, a major advantage. There still aren't enough of either type installed in multiples at one location.

o00scorpion00o said:
The E.U is to phase out CHAdeMo anyway and the U.S and E.U car makers have adopted ccs.

No, that is absolutley not true. The folks who support CCS would like you to believe that.

The German car makers had introduced EU laws that WOULD HAVE "phased out" CHAdeMO, but in the end, all they got was that on Jan 1, 2019, there has to be a CCS if there is a "something else" charger.

Neither "EU", nor "US" car makers have all adopted CCS. Not even close.

The number one EV volume US domestic auto maker, Tesla, will never bow to CCS. They haven't even announced an adaptor for CCS (like they have for CHAdeMO), although I suspect that at some point, they will.

The ONLY car makers in the world promoting CCS are GM and all the German ones. That's it. The CCS plug in those handful of Spark EV's that GM makes for regulatory compliance won't even plug into a German CCS charger.

All 2015 i3's will have a frankenplug. It becomes standard along with heated front seats.

Not all leafs have CHAdeMO, which to me is a bit frustrating. Yes, the majority do, I know. BUT- Whatever the standard an automaker is promoting, should be on every one of their cars.

TonyWilliams said:
The CCS plug in those handful of Spark EV's that GM makes for regulatory compliance won't even plug into a German CCS charger.

And here they can't even reliably charge from eVgo ABB units, according to PlugShare comments anyway...

So I ran into an interesting problem. Tried using a 64GB USB drive with my music on it in the USB slot. Got numerous errors each time. Wouldn't recognize it. The manual states that only FAT 12/16/32 volumes are recognized (Multimedia page 3-11). When I try and format my 64GB flash drive the only options are NTFS and exFAT. Did some looking and it looks like flash drives larger than 32GB are "only" formatted via exFAT, no FAT formatting possible.

Bottom line is it looks like I need to grab a 32GB flash drive and try that. Anybody know a way around that please let me know.

RT

Windows won't format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB. You'll need to use a third-party disk utility or just use pretty much any Linux distro live CD.

You could also try creating two 32GB partitions (start > run > diskmgmt.msc), but I'm not sure how the infotainment system will handle it coming from one device.

That said, I think this is a pretty silly argument. We can simplify it by having three categories instead of two. Compliance, Maybe Committed, and Committed. Compliance cars don't have factory quick charging. Maybe Committed cars have factory quick charging, but haven't been rolled out extensively. Committed cars have factory quick charging and wide roll out. By this logic, the RAV4, B-Class ED, FFE, and 500e land in Compliance

Electric smart cars are nationwide (and even have physical inventory in most smart dealers outside CARB states), and they do not have quick charging.

Quick charging is not a necessity of an electric vehicle. Electric smarts make for fantastic commuters, and a short-ranged EV with QC still makes for a poor long-distance commute.

Back